Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    215
    Thanked: 22

    Default Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Hello Foton friends

    So the time has finally come to sell the colt and buy a Tunland (Lux 4x4). I have had a look at many manufacturers(Ford, Mistu, Mazda, Navara, Tata) and the only real world purchase remains the Tunland for me. I do not use my bakkie as a daily driver and for recreational farming and over-landing soft interiors are just not viable.

    I had a look at pricing, and for R250k I can buy a one to two year old Tunland with between 1000km (demo I'm assuming) and 30 000km. In reading all the Foton topics I found it possibly curious if its not worthwhile rather buying the 30 000km option, as from reading all the complaints it seems to take time for the dealerships to fix all the niggles when purchasing a newish one with very low km's. My thoughts point to that if with slightly higher km's, if it has not broken, it probably wont for a while?

    Or would you rather say, buy a 2015 model, with warranty left, and is below 5000km? I've seen a few examples on www.cars.co.za in this price range.


    • Is there certain things to rather look out for in model year changes (ie Bluetooth, reverse camera)?
    • I've read about new engine management software being installed, from which year was this?
    • Should I avoid buying a demo model?


    The aim is basically to purchase one at the best possible devaluation point, which is exactly two years from my calculations where the vehicle is only worth 67% of its original purchase value in retail. Yet, I have a years worth of warranty left for them to sort out potential problems.

    I know the dealer network is small, and service at certain locations is basically non existent. Try and buy a Mitsubishi, and you will find the same.

    Any advice other than avoiding the Tunland would be appreciated. It can by no means break down more than the Mistu, I hope
    Last edited by Tr0jan; 2016/09/13 at 12:50 PM.
    BMW X5 3.0d ---

    Vorige? FIAT Fullback 4x4, Wat 'n loutere stuk strooi voertuig en geen diens van FIAT af nie. Bly weg...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    PRETORIA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    284
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Koop 2014 of nuwe demo. Maar moet nie meer as r250000 betaal.
    Bel my later as jy tyd het. Savanna kom ook nou. Miskien auto.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    59
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tr0jan View Post
    Hello Foton friends

    So the time has finally come to sell the colt and buy a Tunland (Lux 4x4). I have had a look at many manufacturers(Ford, Mistu, Mazda, Navara, Tata) and the only real world purchase remains the Tunland for me. I do not use my bakkie as a daily driver and for recreational farming and over-landing soft interiors are just not viable.

    I had a look at pricing, and for R250k I can buy a one to two year old Tunland with between 1000km (demo I'm assuming) and 30 000km. In reading all the Foton topics I found it possibly curious if its not worthwhile rather buying the 30 000km option, as from reading all the complaints it seems to take time for the dealerships to fix all the niggles when purchasing a newish one with very low km's. My thoughts point to that if with slightly higher km's, if it has not broken, it probably wont for a while?

    Or would you rather say, buy a 2015 model, with warranty left, and is below 5000km? I've seen a few examples on www.cars.co.za in this price range.


    • Is there certain things to rather look out for in model year changes (ie Bluetooth, reverse camera)?
    • I've read about new engine management software being installed, from which year was this?
    • Should I avoid buying a demo model?


    The aim is basically to purchase one at the best possible devaluation point, which is exactly two years from my calculations where the vehicle is only worth 67% of its original purchase value in retail. Yet, I have a years worth of warranty left for them to sort out potential problems.

    I know the dealer network is small, and service at certain locations is basically non existent. Try and buy a Mitsubishi, and you will find the same.

    Any advice other than avoiding the Tunland would be appreciated. It can by no means break down more than the Mistu, I hope
    My advice will be if you want to save yourself a lot of trouble. Rather get yourself a Toyota ford ,mazda or amarok you can also go for the Mahindra. You can buy the Tunland for cheap but beware if you what to resell you loose a lot of money,the Tunland is not that bad but no retail value
    Dirk van Heerden
    0716098787
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bogota
    Age
    61
    Posts
    99
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tr0jan View Post
    Hello Foton friends

    So the time has finally come to sell the colt and buy a Tunland (Lux 4x4). I have had a look at many manufacturers(Ford, Mistu, Mazda, Navara, Tata) and the only real world purchase remains the Tunland for me. I do not use my bakkie as a daily driver and for recreational farming and over-landing soft interiors are just not viable.

    I had a look at pricing, and for R250k I can buy a one to two year old Tunland with between 1000km (demo I'm assuming) and 30 000km. In reading all the Foton topics I found it possibly curious if its not worthwhile rather buying the 30 000km option, as from reading all the complaints it seems to take time for the dealerships to fix all the niggles when purchasing a newish one with very low km's. My thoughts point to that if with slightly higher km's, if it has not broken, it probably wont for a while?

    Or would you rather say, buy a 2015 model, with warranty left, and is below 5000km? I've seen a few examples on www.cars.co.za in this price range.


    • Is there certain things to rather look out for in model year changes (ie Bluetooth, reverse camera)?
    • I've read about new engine management software being installed, from which year was this?
    • Should I avoid buying a demo model?


    The aim is basically to purchase one at the best possible devaluation point, which is exactly two years from my calculations where the vehicle is only worth 67% of its original purchase value in retail. Yet, I have a years worth of warranty left for them to sort out potential problems.

    I know the dealer network is small, and service at certain locations is basically non existent. Try and buy a Mitsubishi, and you will find the same.

    Any advice other than avoiding the Tunland would be appreciated. It can by no means break down more than the Mistu, I hope

    Hi, Tr0jan.

    If you donít pay attention to brands, publicity, mainstream thinking, itís a sound choice to buy a Tunland. I bought a brand new Luxury 4x4 DC in April 2013, only a bit more than 23.000 km on it now because I live in a big city where it is a pain to drive a big mechanical car (traffic jams, no place to park, crazy people). So I almost only use it to go to the country every 2 or 3 weeks and it excels there. Bad, winding, steep grades? No problem, even with a ton on it (I did it several times) on tar road and clay/hard packed trails. And it's not voracious at all.

    My Tunland has had several issues, always solved under warranty with no problem. IMO, in spite of that I said, it has the best price-quality-specs ratio. Iíve read the dealers are not very good in South Africa and Australia, but itís OK here and should be better after the assembly plant began to run in August 2015.

    About models, I canít advice you because I donít know South African model variants or options, for instance, mine doesnít have Bluetooth nor steering wheel commands, but more recent models do have. But the most important, some months ago I knew a man who works transporting people for an oil company here, from Bogota to the fields, with a 2015 Tunland (120.000 km on it after one year) and was very happy because zero issues. When I told him about mineís problems, he was surprised and said he had heard something like that about the first models, said the 2015 was much better and the 2016 was even better (assembled here in Colombia). He amazed me when he said the Tunland was displacing the Hilux there, but itís understandable because the 2.8 M/T diesel DC 4x4 Hilux is worth twice the Tunland Luxury now. So all that small issues you may have are largely offset, ďpayedĒ by a so scandalous difference on prices.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rod1 For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Hi Tr0jan.

    Did you buy the Foton in the end and which model. I am looking to buy one now. http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-car...54b9b5c57b4c3d
    How do you find it? I have done some research over the past two weeks or so and the Foton really does look like value for money.

    Will appreciate your feedback.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    alberton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by UITZICHT View Post
    Koop 2014 of nuwe demo. Maar moet nie meer as r250000 betaal.
    Bel my later as jy tyd het. Savanna kom ook nou. Miskien auto.
    Hi is die bakkie regtig betroubaar wil een koop ma is bekommerd oor die dealers wat toe maak om my 3 in 4 maande is j nog gelukkig en het u nog enige probleme gehad op di bakkie dankie

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by dongp View Post
    Hi is die bakkie regtig betroubaar wil een koop ma is bekommerd oor die dealers wat toe maak om my 3 in 4 maande is j nog gelukkig en het u nog enige probleme gehad op di bakkie dankie
    Ek is regtig baie gelukkig met my bakkie. Het toe 'n 2014 4x4 demo gekoop en het na so 12 000km geen probleme nie. Ons was Paasnaweek Lesotho toe en het Sanipas sonder enige probleme gery. My model het net nie diff-lock nie maar dit het nooit gehinder nie.

    Sterkte met jou besluit.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calvinia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    232
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Heart set on buying a Tunland, which year model and mileage?

    It is now four years later. Any new news on your Foton experience. I am also tempted to swop to a Tunland. But I am a petrohead...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •