korando as a option

Default korando as a option

hi everyone was wondering how are the 2007 korandos 2.9tdi.

I see it has low range but does it have any diff locks or can one add an aftermarket part.
    thanks

Default Re: korando as a option

Nope, no diff lock and quite soft suspension, but for general use and mild off roading actually rather nice. Aftermarket diff lock very expensive; rather get a Pajero or similar with DL as standard if you want to go hard core.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
    hi everyone was wondering how are the 2007 korandos 2.9tdi.

I see it has low range but does it have any diff locks or can one add an aftermarket part.
    thanks
    Hi Rickyc, what is the reason for asking?
    Do you have a Korando or intentionally want to buy one.
    Mine is a 2006 and very reliable in harsh 4x4 conditions. No problem so far and always a very comfortable drive.

The diesels are also quite quick if in good condition.

I'd say body and trim spares could be a challenge.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Had the 2.9 TDI auto - marvelous to drive, very capable - did Klein Tafelberg with ease, also in traffic. Learn from my mistake: the Korando has an scoop-like intake behind the grill - after a mornings play in the dunes, sucked a bucket of sand through the turbo, car was unfortunately never the same after a costly repair.
    Perhaps also find out if you have a Mechanic in you vicinity that would work on the Korando, I struggled in Cape Town area.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by HennHatt View Post
    Hi Rickyc, what is the reason for asking?
    Do you have a Korando or intentionally want to buy one.
    Mine is a 2006 and very reliable in harsh 4x4 conditions. No problem so far and always a very comfortable drive.
    hi yes I was looking at one but then the dealer said they couldn't do a deal for me( its a bit complicated ) but he could help me out with a kyron but im not sure how they are aswell so I said no to that.

a few people told me they lose resale value

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Engelbrecht View Post
    Had the 2.9 TDI auto - marvelous to drive, very capable - did Klein Tafelberg with ease, also in traffic. Learn from my mistake: the Korando has an scoop-like intake behind the grill - after a mornings play in the dunes, sucked a bucket of sand through the turbo, car was unfortunately never the same after a costly repair.
    Perhaps also find out if you have a Mechanic in you vicinity that would work on the Korando, I struggled in Cape Town area.
    ouch I'll remember that.

we should have a capable mechanic around here in the west coast.

Ric - you can look at the Kyron - if I'm not mistaken, they have a much more refined 2.7l diesel, much higher than 95 kw of 2.9l.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

ja I think they have the same motor that's in the merc b class

Hi Rickyc,
    I have a 2005, 2.9tdi, 132000km, manual. Bought it new. Small mods: EGR blocked, larger (more importantly - better) tyres, bash plate (see pics on forum), cat taken out, spot lights, wiring for fridge. No major mods.

As Jens78 said, no diff lock and the original suspension is quite soft but very comfortable, especially off-road. Interior is quite spacious, adjustable back seats and enough space for grown ups in the back. Not too much space in the boot but it's adequate.

As for off-roading, it's actually quite good and very, very tough. I'm not a very expert offroader but I've been to Namibia, Mozambique, and have done almost all offroad tracks in Gauteng a few times, and other places in SA. The car has been properly used. It has it's limitations, mostly diff lock related, but it will go much further and better than most people expect. And stay in one piece.

Not very fast but will get you where you want to go. NOT for fast driving on gravel (short wheel base). In 4x4 high, 90km is about as fast as I would go with it on gravel. I stick to 80km/h or less.

Aftermarket stuff: very difficult to find. I doubt you will find anything specifically for the Korando. Maybe on Gumtree or similar. Jello's comment is correct, body and trim spares might be an issue. On the plus side, no problems finding parts for the engine (Mercedes, Korean Boyz, etc).

Fuel consumption: around 10.5l per 100km in town (after EGR block and cat out - it was around 11.3 before). At 120km/h, the consumption will be higher. On lower altitude and/or much lower speed, the consumption is a lot less. Nice when in the bush and just driving around. Fuel tank size: 72l.

Changed: front shocks after 1 year (personal choice - too soft), back shocks (10 years old - it was time), complete clutch at 125 000km (replaced with single mass flywheel - dual mass failed), upper control arm bushes, engine mountings, right window motor, glow plugs (twice - stick to OEM in this case), windscreen (twice), alternator (refurbished), tensioner pulley, seal on diesel tank, wheel bearings adjusted, tie-rod replaced (I hit something) and a few small things here and there. Can't remember now.

Several problems I had with the car were related to the vacuum system (4x4 not engaging, doesn't switch off when turning the key, etc). Not serious, once you know about it! It seems most Korandos had that issue but it's a quick, easy and cheap fix to replace the hoses/pipes. Yes, the air intake is just behind the grill so carefull with deep water crossings. Too fast or too deep and the water will get in.

Maintenance: I've got my mechanic (indie) since service plan expired and happy with him. All services done on time and ALL fluids (diff, transfer box, brakes, gearbox oil etc.) were changed at least every second/third service. Sometimes more often if doing a lot of offroading (with mud and water). Engine, turbo, gearbox and everything else still works fine. I use 50ppm or 500ppm (don't really care - makes no difference). Definitely handy when in Mozambique (they had no other at that time and place).

Resale value: Not sure you should buy a Korando if that is important to you.

If any questions, please ask. Cheers.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

thanks zoran thats quite a lot of info but I decided to stay away from ssang yong I drove 2 now and im not very impressed I drove a kyron and a 2012 korando.

so ill be looking out for something else rather stick with what I know rather but thanks for the info everyone .

Hi rickyc,
    No problems. Good luck with whatever you get.
    Cheers.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

@Zoran reading you replaced your flywheel with a single mass. did you have any problems later on by doing that?
    my flywheel is on the way out @ 205000km on the clock and seems the flywheel has never been changed.

Nothing much has been changed on my 2005 korando so im slowly having to change parts like this and the turbo(service) and injectors(also just a service)
    and most of the seal like on the diffs and gearbox. not bad for a 2005 model with 205k km on.

Hi Bennie,
    I've done about 45000km after changing the clutch and had no issues whatsoever. Admittedly, there might be a "knock" when you release the clutch pedal abruptly when changing gears but that can be controlled with a bit of practice. Some people use the clutch like an on/off switch and that might not work here. There might also be a bit more vibrations in general at the beginning but on a Korando it's not very noticeable (the engine and gearbox mountings were old and not very good anymore).

I have fitted a vibration damper on the propshaft soon after and it made a difference. Not huge but enough to be worth the expense. Found one at Phoenix Motors (Graham). Apparently, the older generations of Musso's and Korando's use to have dampers. Mine is from a Musso, I think.

In general, the car seems livelier, pulls off quicker and better, and will spin the wheels much easier than before (especially on wet). After changing the engine and gearbox mountings as well, I really don't feel any difference anymore. Usually, I'm fairly gentle with the clutch in everyday driving but I've done a bunch of obstacle course since then, where I had to abuse the clutch, and had no issues at all.

I remember the cost of a clutch with dual mass flywheel was 3 times more than the single mass. I was a bit worried as well but also didn't want to spend R21000 (if I remember correctly!). The reason I had to change mine was that the damper spring (Arc Damper Spring??) in the flywheel broke. Not because of wear and tear.

Other reasons I chose Single Mass, apart from the cost:
    https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-wh...ises-mean.aspx

Extract from above article:
    Conversion from Dual Mass to Single Mass: If your dual mass flywheel has failed, and it's because your vehicle has been modified and/or is used for racing, towing, etc., conversion is the best plan. The main benefits to converting from a dual mass unit to a single mass unit are:
    1. Single mass units are easy to machine/resurface, which means you don't automatically have to buy a new dual mass unit if you replace the clutch.
    2. Single mass units are lighter and have a faster response time, leading to better clutch performance.
    3. Most importantly, single mass units are less expensive and more reliable than dual mass units (substantially so).

Since I don't know much about cars, I don't know about point No.1, but points No.2 and No.3 are definitely correct.

The work was done by my mechanic (indie). If you come to JHB, you're welcome to take my car for a spin and see how it feels.

Hope it helps.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Zoran; 2019/08/12 at 03:00 PM.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

Thats awesome to know. Thank you for the info
    i think i should convert to a single mass flywheel as i do tow my boat around (and cost)
    i tend to drive like an old man and it has more than enough power as it is.

OEM part stands at R22400 plus R3500 for a new clutch
    CBS does have the dual mass and clutch kit for R11 000 total.

But will have a look at finding a single mass flywheel and the damper

Again thank you for the info does help alot.

The prices went up even more. What a surprise!

In my opinion, a single mass flywheel will make a difference when you tow your boat. The damper would help a bit but you can always look for one afterwards, if you feel it's necessary. I don't think you'll find a new one but maybe one from an older generation Mercedes (W124??) series might fit.

For a second hand damper, you can try Graham from Phoenix Auto (specializes in Ssangyong), his number is 011 794 8086 / 082 263 9079. I've known him for years and he is a really good, honest guy. I use my indie mechanic simply because I've known him even longer, 15 years, and go to Graham when there's something very specific about Ssangyong/Korando.

You can also try Willie, they also specialize in Ssangyongs, in Pretoria West. The number is 082 497 7406.

I haven't dealt with these guys but they do have some Ssangyong parts, also in Pretoria. They gave me Willie's number when I was looking for a diff cover (Willie had one):
    http://sangdai-autoparts.co.za/

BTW, I just remembered a specific problem with the Korando rear diff. Here is the link to the thread, if you missed it:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...068#post862068

Let me know how it goes.
    Cheers.
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoran For This Useful Post:

awesome i shall get in touch with those guys. sure they will be happy to courier down to Dbn.
    i do remember reading the the forum about the nut on the pinion.

i have to replace my pinion seal as its leaking and thought i could check this issue on my korando as its a 2005
    and i tried and tried getting that nut off with no success. this includes having a truck size torque wrench on the nut and not even using my legs i could move this nut.
    i checked the thread condition, made sure im loosening correctly. gave it a smack with the hammer still nothing.
    next step is getting my ballie's heavy duty impact wrench on there that he uses on the trucks.

i still have a laugh about this as its an issue of them coming loose. But looking at the nut condition you can see its never been removed.
    even with all my issues i get now its an impressive little 4x4.

Hi,
    That nut is tightened to 240nm - 310nm, according to Ssangyong specs. My mechanic was suprised at the numbers and I showed him the manual. He had to use a really long wrench and both feet to push and tighten it (the car was on the ground though, just on a small jack).

It's good that yours is untouched and holding. Hopefully you'll be able to get it off to change the seal.

If Graham has the damper but can't/don't want to ship, I could collect it for you and then we'll make a plan. He is literally around the corner from me. The other guys a about 70km from me.

Attached are the specs. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Korando 2.9Tdi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoran For This Useful Post:

I had one. 2.9Tdi manual.

Nice ride on gravel. I messed it up with Land Rover coils and shocks and ended up with a lot of money wasted and too much rebound or something. A very unsafe bouncy ride, but lots of clearance and much better off road with more wheel travel and more clearance.

Was very capable and solid off road and the torque at low revs made it unstopable on steep hills. Cross axle situations is it's downfall, but just add momentum.

Diff lock options might be to fit a Musso Sport ( bakkie ) rear diff with a diff lock. I'm not sure if this could work, but worth it to check.

I had issues with the vacume pump as well. Lucas pump had no issues, but It's a good idea to replace the vacume pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerkater View Post
    I had one. 2.9Tdi manual.

Nice ride on gravel. I messed it up with Land Rover coils and shocks and ended up with a lot of money wasted and too much rebound or something. A very unsafe bouncy ride, but lots of clearance and much better off road with more wheel travel and more clearance.

Was very capable and solid off road and the torque at low revs made it unstopable on steep hills. Cross axle situations is it's downfall, but just add momentum.

Diff lock options might be to fit a Musso Sport ( bakkie ) rear diff with a diff lock. I'm not sure if this could work, but worth it to check.

I had issues with the vacume pump as well. Lucas pump had no issues, but It's a good idea to replace the vacume pipes.

Just for interest sake, which coils did you use? I went the same route, but ended up chucking the first set of coils (discovery 1 rear), they were rock hard. The second set I fitted were awesome (Range Rover classic front coils). 70 000km later and I have not regretted it since. I fitted a set of Pro comp extended shocks which works great.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristiaanV For This Useful Post: