Need to clean engine bay

Default Need to clean engine bay

Guys,
    After being through various obstacles through the last year the slug and grim is building up in the engine bay of my 2015 SWB. Can I use a high pressure cleaner to get rid of this or am I on a path to destroy the ECU on the vehicle.
    In anyway, where is the ECU positioned?
    Please advise,
    Johan
    Johan

Live Life!

Default Re: Need to clean engine bay

Evening Johan

High Pressure hose on a motor is a big NO NO!!!!

I use a spray bottle with engine cleaner, i start the motor and let it run warm and then spray and leave for 5 mins, I then take the hose pipe without the nozzle and lightly hose the areas that I've sprayed. If the stubborn dirt doesn't want to come off, you can use a soft brush and try and brush and spray with engine cleaner to remove the dirt. Try and stay away from the electronics and fuses. I then dry off with a Chamois shammy and then spray with silicone spray and then wipe off the excess.

Cheers

As bullshark said

a pressure washer stuffs up the electric and electronic connections as they aren't designed for that amount of water pressure

you also end up pushing dirt and grit into bearings and other bits that shouldn't have it
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

What engine cleaner do you guys use and where did you buy it? My engine is also in serious need of a clean.
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JK)

Guys who do their own cleaning, where do you do it? Driveway, grass, in the street? I just imagine the gunk and crud that comes off leaving a horrid stain on the driveway, or wherever. What am I missing?

Prepsol. Straight on. Let it sit 15 minutes.

Repeat twice.

Hose off with low pressure garden hose.

Do not use cold water on a hot engine!

I use Parafin or Diesel....when I have all the parts stripped...

I have had too many disasters. Less than two months ago, my own car started misfiring. After the missus (with good intentions) had the motor cleaned. Two weeks ago, one of my idiots forgot to place an o-ring on an oil filter and it messed oil in the motor. I HAD to clean as the customer complained, and I ended up buying a new engine position sensor on that Polo (Tdi). Coupla years back had to replace a module on an Uno after cleaning...

I don't clean engines....maybe a little silicone on the plastic bits and that's it...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

The electronic bits on the engine are super sensitive, every time I've hosed water the check engine light came on. Cover all the electronic bits with plastic packets if you're using water. I use carb cleaner to clean oily residue and Kleen Green with paint brushes to clean off mud and rinse off using a trigger spray bottle.

I use Dirt Nurse, spray on have a beer and rinse with hose on low pressure. Squeaky clean and have not had any issues with electronics on Paj or Platkar Audi (has so many electric plugs hard to believe its not a hybrid)

Pajero 2800 - 1999

To the Cape Town guy's.....

There's an Afrikaaner fellow that runs a valet service off Consani road, Elsies River. A few years back I wanted the engine cleaned in my sedan. One of the dealerships in Voortrekker Rd suggested I give this guy a try - that was about 7 yrs ago. Suffice to say I have yet to have an issue with their work.

On my Ranger after returning from camping in January of this year.....everything was full of dust. I let the engine cool...sprayed engine cleaner all over the engine and hosed it down with my hose-pipe.....left the bonnet open for about 3hrs....and it started first time...no issues - obviously after hand drying most of the water.
    Last edited by Casper...; 2016/10/26 at 04:15 PM.

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)