Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 4x4 Megaworld shared some interesting info Re bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
    Funny that Ford offer to fit you a R6000,00 nudge-bar. Wonder if that was tested
    Replacement bumpers get bolted onto the chassis beams, nudgebar gets attached via flimsy brackets. The 2 are worlds apart.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Hi guys. I've been reading your comments with interrest. I invite you all to 4x4 Mega World head office to come and view all the crash test videos etc. that we had to supply Ford SA and Ford USA in order to achieve approval. ARB is the only company that actually writes off a vehicle to ensure SRS compatibilty. You can call me on 011 4542875. It will be my pleasure to put all misconceptions to rest and answer all your questions.
    Regards Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by kurt brunner View Post
    Hi guys. I've been reading your comments with interrest. I invite you all to 4x4 Mega World head office to come and view all the crash test videos etc. that we had to supply Ford SA and Ford USA in order to achieve approval. ARB is the only company that actually writes off a vehicle to ensure SRS compatibilty. You can call me on 011 4542875. It will be my pleasure to put all misconceptions to rest and answer all your questions.
    Regards Kurt

why not post those videos here?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    why not post those videos here?
    Play the films!! We wanna see
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

Default 4x4 Megaworld shared some interesting info Re bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Bakst1 View Post

now if you have a heavy duty after market bumber fitted it will not react in the same way.
    No it won't react the same way. But nobody knows for sure due to no testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakst1 View Post
    so heavan forbid you hit another vehicle and there is a fatality would the other person not have recourse to sue because the accesory you had fitted was not crash tested or approved by the manufacturer for use on there vehicle.
    Nope. Basically not.

Anyways, crash testing isn't mandatory in SA.
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2016/09/12 at 09:27 PM.

Regards Kurt
    I call BS. They've tested their bumpers on every vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    I call BS. They've tested their bumpers on every vehicle?
    Easy to find out for yourself - just take him up on his offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Baasvark View Post
    Easy to find out for yourself - just take him up on his offer!
    It's a bit far. He can just post the videos. They don't take long to upload.

I have seen the video.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Please educate me a little bit. After the aftermarket bumper is attached to the vehicle, the crumble areas stays the same? In an impact all that changes is that there is now a aftermarket bumper in the way, but the crumble areas still do their designed function? That is to absorb energy. Unless the removed bumper also have an energy absorb function designed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I have seen the video.
    Video or videos?

Just for interest as my thread got deleted; If, hypothetically you fit a non approved (by the Manufacturer) bumper, and you are involved in a head on collision, why would this transpire to a non payment by the insurance, as stated in the OP?

How could this bumper have played a role in causing or being to blame for the accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I have seen the video.
    Ja...

Regards Kurt

Kurt, could you explain, if there was any modification made to the original design of the bumper before the agreement was reached?

IOW, is the current approved bumper and the previously non approved bumper the same or are there differences?

It's worth noting that, as is often the case, the early concerns about Airbags and non standard bumpers have been blown out of all proportion for marketing purposes.

There is no question that the airbags will deploy in the event of an incident where by the vehicle decelerates at a certain rate at a certain vector. Thats how they work.

the original concern was that the airbags would deploy prematurely.

e.g. you run down a dune and the combined angle and sudden bump at the bottom would cause the airbag to go off,

or you would hoot at a cantankerous old curmudgeon who is walking very slowly across the road even though the light is green for you might hit the bumper with his walking stick and cause the airbag to go off, or something like that.

This is where a couple of manufacturers jumped on the band wagon with their 'crush cans' which actually did bugger all, but sounded impressive.

In reality, a stock bumper has a 'soft' area built into it, which absorbs minor impacts, and this acts as a tiny little crumple zone in a big accident.

a steel bumper doesn't have this .

What that means is that if you drive a vehicle equipped with a stock bumper into a wall at speed 'x' the bumper will act as a cushion, marginally reduce deceleration and the airbags/belt tensioners will not have a 'deployment event'

a vehicle with a steel bumper may exceed the threshold at the same speed and the driver may get airbag face.

the difference is probably under 1km/h .... of course, this cannot be tested, unless you run cars into a wall repeatedly and keep replacing the bumpers until you get that moment and then repeat with the steel bumpers.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/09/13 at 09:06 AM.

In short - the SRS friendly part is a pointless thing. it doesn't matter.

Where a manufacturer approved accessory will always score is with the warranty - e.g. if you fit an aftermarket bumper, and the motor seizes, the manufacturer would have very good reason to reject the motor claim.

with an approved accessory, they would be obliged to honour the claim.

this is clearly not something a manufacturer would take on lightly, nor is it a no cost exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbin View Post
    Kurt, could you explain, if there was any modification made to the original design of the bumper before the agreement was reached?

IOW, is the current approved bumper and the previously non approved bumper the same or are there differences?

Andrew, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

When I had the panel shop we went out to get Jaguar (then owned by Ford) approval for warranty repairs.

believe me, at the end of the day, we offered exactly the same service, we had exactly the same gear, but the cost of obtaining that approval was enormous.

you can bet we put the price up as a result.

If, as kurt says, they had to buy a new vehicle and write it off under controlled circumstances to satisfy Ford - as well as, no doubt, other tests - thats a considerable cost.

no doubt they also have to cover certain items within Ford's warranty should they fail while an aftermarket bumper is attached.

these all add to cost.

they are a business and in it to make money... and they can triple the price any time they like anyway....

The scenario in Apoc's first post (hitting a wall with a stock vs a steel bumper) will probably have the same outcome for both bumpers in 99.9% of incidents, as the SRS won't be activated at the low speeds that the stock bumper can absorb anyway.

Those soft areas in stock bumpers are a legacy of the Yanks' super absorbent fender bender monstrosities of the 70's, designed to reduce insurance claims and are currently employed to protect the old codger with the walking stick, rather than the occupants of the vehicle.

Name:  bumpers.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  89.0 KB
    Last edited by ThysleRoux; 2016/09/13 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Andrew, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

When I had the panel shop we went out to get Jaguar (then owned by Ford) approval for warranty repairs.

believe me, at the end of the day, we offered exactly the same service, we had exactly the same gear, but the cost of obtaining that approval was enormous.

you can bet we put the price up as a result.

If, as kurt says, they had to buy a new vehicle and write it off under controlled circumstances to satisfy Ford - as well as, no doubt, other tests - thats a considerable cost.

no doubt they also have to cover certain items within Ford's warranty should they fail while an aftermarket bumper is attached.

these all add to cost.

they are a business and in it to make money... and they can triple the price any time they like anyway....
    Alex, you are speculating, and my question was not directed at you.

if you as you quite obviously seem to be, feel the need to justify your past business ethics, please do so on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hdp80 View Post
    Hi guys,

So my Ranger is at 4x4MW in Edenvale today for its suspensions and the dealer manager phoned me regarding the Rhino bumper i want to put on (had to specify so the put the correct stiffens springs in) and he said that they are busy with the insurers around claims that if the bumper is not SRS approved by the manufacturer that they will not pay out? This could have some heavy implications for people who already have bumpers fitted and also the local manufacturers of bumpers...

Anybody hear something similar?

Cheers
    /h
    Please note the OP post...

What does the bumper have to do with the cause of the accident and the insurance payout?

Why did the 4x4 MW dealer manager, state as mentioned above Alex?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast