Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 4x4 Megaworld shared some interesting info Re bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbin View Post
    Please note the OP post...

What does the bumper have to do with the cause of the accident and the insurance payout?

Why did the 4x4 MW dealer manager, state as mentioned above Alex?
    Yes, I also want to know. How can Ford talk for the insurance companies? They can talk about warranties, yes. Some salesmen is trying to make a sale with false information.

Alex, you are speculating, and my question was not directed at you.

if you as you quite obviously seem to be, feel the need to justify your past business ethics, please do so on another thread.
    your complaint - per this and the inexplicably deleted other thread - is that the ARB bumper is expensive, and more so now that it is manufacturer approved.

I am simply illustrating that there are additional costs that would make such a bumper more expensive, and that in any event, pricing is entirely up to the manufacturer and retailer...

It seems that you have an issue with this? I just can't see what the problem is!

Please note the OP post...

What does the bumper have to do with the cause of the accident and the insurance payout?

Why did the 4x4 MW dealer manager, state as mentioned above Alex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Yes, I also want to know. How can Ford talk for the insurance companies? They can talk about warranties, yes. Some salesmen is trying to make a sale with false information.
    As I posted in post 7 - it is absolutely false that an insurer will refuse to pay out if a vehicle is equipped with a non manufacturer approved accessory - presuming that the accessory does not make the vehicle unroadworthy.

If ARB / MW are claiming that, I'd like to see them come up with any evidence that this is the case - a rejected claim, a letter from an insurer... anything...

Frankly it's fraudulent to make such a claim in order to make a sale.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/09/13 at 09:39 AM.

Another word for this is price fixing...

you clearly don't understand the term 'price fixing'

Price fixing is when manufacturers collude to push prices up across all similar products which defeats the normal supply and demand situation to develop super profits for ALL manufacturers.

e.g. manufacturers collude to charge R15 for a loaf of bread when, if they were in genuine competition, the price would probably push to R12.

This seems to be the exact opposite.

one manufacturer is pushing up his price because it has serious advantages while others remain low priced... thats called normal competition! the price is decided without collusion with others.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/09/13 at 09:43 AM.

I had a few years back an accident in which my replacement bullbar was damaged beyond repair in a light head-on collision with a very unfortunate 1400 Nissan bakkie.

Bullbar was not specified on my policy and they stated that they will do all repairs but will not pay for a new bar.

I subsequently phoned the assessor and gave him a piece of my mind telling him that he should consider the potential damage had the bar not been in place.
    It didn't take much convincing and they payed for a spanking new ARB with no mention with regard to modifications, airbag issues or anything else.

I still can't understand how an airbag can be affected by any aftermarket bullbar, They work on deceleration don't they?

Thanks Dirk... Absolutely fair of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    I had a few years back an accident in which my replacement bullbar was damaged beyond repair in a light head-on collision with a very unfortunate 1400 Nissan bakkie.

Bullbar was not specified on my policy and they stated that they will do all repairs but will not pay for a new bar.

I subsequently phoned the assessor and gave him a piece of my mind telling him that he should consider the potential damage had the bar not been in place.
    It didn't take much convincing and they payed for a spanking new ARB with no mention with regard to modifications, airbag issues or anything else.

I still can't understand how an airbag can be affected by any aftermarket bullbar, They work on deceleration don't they?
    yes, they do, although modern systems also have 'intrusion sensors' mounted at certain points - there are sometimes sensors in the bumpers as well as doors, but principally the deceleration sensor will set off airbags in the event of a significant 'event' whether or not the bumper sensors are triggered.

modern systems detect the severity and direction of impacts and set off relevant safety systems for impacts from that direction.

you'll find the module will set off seatbelt tensioners at a preset deceleration, side airbags on the side of the impact, or front or knee or whatever - it will also (as an example) deploy rollover hoops on some convertibles, put on the hazards , unlike the doors, lower windows on some, and on things like a merc gull wing or lamborghini, blow the door hinges so that the door can be opened if it's upside down.

a different bumper would only affect low speed impact deployment of the front airbags - they may deploy at a slightly lower speed due to the lack of a 'cushion' in the bumper.

but it would literally be the difference between, say, 15km/h and 16km/h into a concrete block.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt brunner View Post
    Hi guys. I've been reading your comments with interrest. I invite you all to 4x4 Mega World head office to come and view all the crash test videos etc. that we had to supply Ford SA and Ford USA in order to achieve approval. ARB is the only company that actually writes off a vehicle to ensure SRS compatibilty. You can call me on 011 4542875. It will be my pleasure to put all misconceptions to rest and answer all your questions.
    Regards Kurt
    I posted this on the other thread:

Rather than call you, it might be more transparent to answer questions here instead.

You're post seems to suggest that every ARB bumper is crash tested on each specific vehicle? Is this correct?

Also, what exactly constitutes the requirement for a bumper to be deemed as 'airbag compliant' ?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    I posted this on the other thread:

Rather than call you, it might be more transparent to answer questions here instead.

You're post seems to suggest that every ARB bumper is crash tested on each specific vehicle? Is this correct?

Also, what exactly constitutes the requirement for a bumper to be deemed as 'airbag compliant' ?
    I have to say, there is no sensors sitting near the front bumper to sense impact.

The sensor is usually attached as center as possible to the vehicle, and deceleration, acceleration, vertical acceleration, is all measured by that sensor, and if limits are reached, various safety devices/ features will be activated to save the occupants...

There are intrusion detection as well, also aiding the deployment of safeties.

So regardless what you put on as a bumper, tree stump/ branch, tupperware, steel, steel girder, the srs will still work exactly the same.

If you hit a pedestrian though, as soon as the tupperware comes off, and the steel goes on, out the window goes pedestrian safety...

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post
    I have to say, there is no sensors sitting near the front bumper to sense impact.

The sensor is usually attached as center as possible to the vehicle, and deceleration, acceleration, vertical acceleration, is all measured by that sensor, and if limits are reached, various safety devices/ features will be activated to save the occupants...

There are intrusion detection as well, also aiding the deployment of safeties.

So regardless what you put on as a bumper, tree stump/ branch, tupperware, steel, steel girder, the srs will still work exactly the same.

If you hit a pedestrian though, as soon as the tupperware comes off, and the steel goes on, out the window goes pedestrian safety...
    We all know this. But I feel it's our duty to educate the masses as well as manufacturers that claim 'airbag compliance' without actually specifying what such a concept means.

......baby steps.

We all know this. But I feel it's our duty to educate the masses as well as manufacturers that claim 'airbag compliance' without actually specifying what such a concept means.

......baby steps.
    I'm dead scared about aftermarket can bus radio though... Apparently it can set off the preten safetybelts, or pop airbags randomly for no reason...

I hope its not true though...

'Can bus radio' ?

'Can bus radio' ?
    Car radio, turns on and off via canbus (the network), can bus is used to adjust volume as you drive faster/ slower.

Or, in case of the ranger t6, the radio handles the door locking button, and the Hazzards (thats why the radio never really turns off)

The canbus is also used for the steering position sensor, for reverse camera, gives you those bendy lines to show where you are going...

It sounds very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post
    Car radio, turns on and off via canbus (the network), can bus is used to adjust volume as you drive faster/ slower.

Or, in case of the ranger t6, the radio handles the door locking button, and the Hazzards (thats why the radio never really turns off)

The canbus is also used for the steering position sensor, for reverse camera, gives you those bendy lines to show where you are going...
    Mine also tells me the fuel consumption and any warnings and faults in the system.

Pierre when did you a Ranger & why?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lisse View Post
    Mine also tells me the fuel consumption and any warnings and faults in the system.
    Oh yea! Forgot that! Any obd data can be displayed on the radio!

It sounds very confusing.
    Way more complicated than a railway sleeper attached to the front of your vehicle influencing the performance of the air bags.

Maybe our resident technical representative for the African region can shed some light on it for us ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Way more complicated than a railway sleeper attached to the front of your vehicle influencing the performance of the air bags.

Maybe our resident technical representative for the African region can shed some light on it for us ?
    He's welcome to try & explain it.

Pierre when did you a Ranger

January 2015

& why?

Its awesome.

I also have a focus...

All new cars will have canbus... Accept the datsun go... The datsun has a docking station, so that you can watch your phone, and not see the obstacle that kills you inevitably...

Quote Originally Posted by kurt brunner View Post
    Hi guys. I've been reading your comments with interrest. I invite you all to 4x4 Mega World head office to come and view all the crash test videos etc. that we had to supply Ford SA and Ford USA in order to achieve approval. ARB is the only company that actually writes off a vehicle to ensure SRS compatibilty. You can call me on 011 4542875. It will be my pleasure to put all misconceptions to rest and answer all your questions.
    Still awaiting your answer when you get a moment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast