View Poll Results: Why do you use or not use 50ppm or less?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no choice, I must use 50ppm or less, due to vehicle requirements

24 35.29%
  • I dont care what I use

25 36.76%
  • It's a financial thing...

13 19.12%
  • I do it for the bunnies and trees

6 8.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 500ppm or 50ppm Do you actively choose by conscious thought wtr to the environmen

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbin View Post
    I kept the votes anonymous, but tell us why you chose what you did...

Someone must tell our poor little rich kid, about this thread
    It's totally a financial motivation. I actually doubt I even put R400 into the Sani last month total. For a long while, it runs with the reserve light on. If it the light happens to go off as I pull away, I know I can make a trip to town and back. That equates to seven of us (five adults and two kids) getting to work/school and back for the day.

Alternative is to pack the same people into the Corsa, or take the Corsa and the Bantam. Sani gets used now and then when we have to do the odd job, or pick up an order for a client where the Bantam is a bit light duty to tow a 2 ton trailer.

It has been said that I should sell it and buy something more fitting my financial status, but who am I gonna call to come help me out when something like a trailer job pops up again..

You are never going to win these bunny hugger fights. At one stage, they made me feel bad because I had a solar setup that ran my lights at home, and was told that my carbon footprint in batteries was worse than using eskom power for the 5 years the batteries would last before I had to replace them anyways.

Lucky the batteries lasted eight years, and I slept much easier. Also came in handy for a while when things were very bad for us, between solar and LPG, we cut off our Eskom supply to the house for a long time. If it was not for the luxuries of a fridge and microwave for the wife, I would probably have left it that way.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Default Re: 500ppm or 50ppm Do you actively choose by conscious thought wtr to the environmen

Julle sien, dis hoekom ek 'n GX EFI guzzler ry.

Jy worry nie oor sulke onbennuligheidjies soos PPM nie.

Ek weet met daai ding se Co2 emmission gaan ek die Oordeelsdag dalk so paar weke vroeer laat gebeur - maar mens kom oor dit. Veral as jy die ding volmaak.

Its
    Really
    Simple.

Its
    Much
    Cheaper

I can buy 6pack of beer on the money I save on a tank.

And that is important to me.

I dont have to justify why I do this or that. I do what I want how I want it (helps not being married)
    Attie

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

In all honesty, it doesn't even make financial sense to me, unless you have a new car that is costing you an enormous amount per month, and you know you can settle it when sold and with the smaller vehicle pay a smaller installment. Unfortunately for most of us it doesn't work that way. My cars are both paid for, and the amount I use in fuel is still less than selling my bakkie for the small amount it is worth, replacing it with a small car and having to pay installments again.

Even if I am in a position to be able to afford the extra cost, and it not impacting on my monthly cashflow, I still doubt that I will use 50 ppm. My vehicle just runs a lot better on 500ppm. If I am in a position to purchase a newer car that can only use 50ppm I will do so, but the whole argument of pollution as a means to discourage me from using my vehicle and using my preferred fuel really does not bode well with me.

At the end of the day, if we are going down the pollution route, we should all sit underneath a tree without any clothes on starving, as everything we do and touch has polluted the earth in some form or another.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

2018 Ford Everest 3.2 XLT
    2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie) - Sold
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar) - Sold

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DrifX For This Useful Post:

WAJ

By the way. NO MORE FARTING to all of you. The amount of methane gasses you are releasing each day are terrible!!!!!
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

2018 Ford Everest 3.2 XLT
    2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie) - Sold
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar) - Sold

I prefer 500ppm. According to the manufacturer I have to use 50ppm, but oddly enough the fuel consumption is better (approximately 1km/l more) using 500ppm rather than 50ppm. And 500ppm is a lot cheaper

The garage I mostly frequent (because I'm too lazy to drive any further than next to the school) only stocks 50ppm though

So my main deciding factor is where I refuel

I don't see, feel, hear or measure any difference between using 500 or 50. One tank of 500 did blacken the engine oil and I did an (intermediate) 7500km oil and filter change, which came to just over a thousand Rand. I aim for the 50 pump every time and the previous tank was 10, which also didn't manifest any difference in performance or consumption.

Don't really care what I use as long as it is clean, the Prado can drink anything and has even done a few hundred kilometers in Zambia on something that was probably closer to 3000 ppm.

I fill up at Caltex because of the Standard bank Ucount awards. My nearest and only Caltex only as 50 ppm. Cost difference really not a factor, 150 L of diesel costs way more than a R1000, a couple of bucks either way does not make a difference.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I use 50ppm because the book said so, have had to use 500ppm a couple of times and it made no difference to anything that I could see!!
    Most pumps in our area now only carry 50ppm & I have never seen a pump with 10ppm, didn't even know it existed....but we are, I suppose, in
    the backwoods here in Zululand.

Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    THIS is pollution we should be worrying about

Attachment 417365Attachment 417366Attachment 417367
    Deon this is bad .Did they find the company who did it looks like here in Valley of a thousand hills in KZN

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Deon this is bad .Did they find the company who did it looks like here in Valley of a thousand hills in KZN
    Apparently the logo on the truck is known.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Oopsy okay i found the company its from Bothas Hill and the company is Spray Pave

This should go viral

The company has taken responsibility for it, cleaned up the area and also suspended the staff. It went viral on local social media sites. Good news is it was resolved so soon.
    Ex:07 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE

If it is bitumen that was dumped. you need to get your facts straight about pollution! You drive on Bitumenised concrete/pavement/macadam every day and you are not complaining about that!
    Bitumen is completely inert when cold and non carcinogenic.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    If it is bitumen that was dumped. you need to get your facts straight about pollution! You drive on Bitumenised concrete/pavement/macadam every day and you are not complaining about that!
    I dont care if it was building rubble that they dumped it should never have been dumped there . There are places to correctly dispose of waste like that the problem is that these sites charge a lot of money to dispose of it and they classify bitumen as hazardous waste .

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smarty For This Useful Post:

Most bitumen contain sulfur and several heavy metals such as Nickel, Vanadium, Lead, Chromium, Mercury and also Arsenic, Selenium, and other Toxic Elements. Bitumen can provide good preservation of plants and animal fossils.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    I don't care if it's building sand being dumped there. IT DOES NOT BELONG!!!
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    I prefer 500ppm. but oddly enough the fuel consumption is better (approximately 1km/l more) using 500ppm rather than 50ppm. And 500ppm is a lot cheaper
    I used to get 500ppm from my local BP but they stopped selling it, so now it's 50ppm.
    Cost was also my motivation.

I use 50ppm under duress.
    My vehicle runs better on 500ppm and it is 60 cents cheaper or more than 50ppm
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast