Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Reasons not to use 500ppm

Quote Originally Posted by Dalet View Post
    I rode a bicycle 17km to work (one way) and back for quite some time. It was awkward, it was dangerous, it certainly wasn't pleasant. But I did it. My point (which I'm still obviously failing to make) is that I simply don't believe that the option of buying cheaper diesel is the only way people who are in unfortunate situations can make ends meet. Like I said, what if they didn't own diesel cars? What happens when the price of fuel rises another 70c/l?
    Dude, stop taking a dig at less fortunate people. If the fuel they buy cheaper means they can put a loaf of bread on the table let them be. Who are you to force your views onto other people?
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

I rode a bicycle 17km to work (one way) and back for quite some time. It was awkward, it was dangerous, it certainly wasn't pleasant. But I did it. My point (which I'm still obviously failing to make) is that I simply don't believe that the option of buying cheaper diesel is the only way people who are in unfortunate situations can make ends meet. Like I said, what if they didn't own diesel cars? What happens when the price of fuel rises another 70c/l?
    Can somebody please explain to me why there seem to be so many people here who find the concept of driving a car they can actually afford given their current circumstances (and what you can afford can and will vary throughout the stages of your life) so hard?
    Dalet, well, I am/was in the same situation as Disco-Deon. Bought a 2nd hand 2009 Double Cab as a family vehicle (sure, its not a 4x4) due to the plans we had and what our lifestyle was. 1 year into the marriage we got separated and 9 months late divorced. The only reason I haven's sold the vehicle is the value I could get for the vehicle v what I still owed the bank. Loosing R40k in settling the difference just to be able to save a few Rands a month was not a financially viable option. Remember, there are 2 sides to a coin and everyone has to deal with life's punches in different ways.

What Disco-Deon is doing is to find responsible ways in saving a few rands without damaging his vehicle and to sustain his life. I respect that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques_Nel For This Useful Post:

Can somebody please explain to me why there seem to be so many people here who find the concept of driving a car they can actually afford given their current circumstances
    We are talking about me and my Disco.
    My circumstances changed on 1 June 2016 and will change again as soon as my house is sold.
    So now because I have a 6 - 12 month crash, I should buy an unreliable cheapy.

OK, find me a buyer for my 2008 Disco 3 TDV6 SE with 215K for R200K and I'll buy a reliable. cheap to run car for R50K...
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

bfreesani
    you keep and drive the sani

dd
    you do the same with your d3

when the chirpers have walked in your shoes for a while they might have a whole new outlook on what it is like to not have food money, never mind just sell this buy that and save a fortune, how you supposed to sell something paid off that is worth crap and buy a run around that will cost the same or more confuses me a bit considering the sani almost runs for free. most people buy something when they can afford to do it BUT when things change for whatever reason does not mean they living above their means just because they have a decent 4x4 that they still have a hp on. i feel for both of you because i have walked in your shoes for reasons beyond my control. you just do what you need to do and it will sort itself out, takes time but you will get back, best of luck.
    2010 D4 V8 HSE
    1290 KTM ADVENTURE R.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peter bee For This Useful Post:

I see Mr Dalet has his self righteous hat on...

He should go and remove all the plastic that the millions of people in the township use to cook with... they should get something more environmentally friendly... like wood... or charcoal...

Heaven forbid that the 108g extra carbon that the 500ppm gives a month... might cause lung cancer or something.. In relation to the thousands of truck driving around because our rail systems are in a mess...

I wonder if Mr Dalet uses airlines to travel, now that he has "poored" himself rich?
    Last edited by Dustbin; 2016/09/09 at 11:58 AM.

OK. That's enough

I got the answers I needed.

Thanks for the support

Dalet, please pull you bicycle out for a few month while I POLLUTE the earth. Once my house is sold and my current crash has ended, I will move to 10PPM, ONLY if you did your bit and used your bicycle to work for this period.

Now closing this thread.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Nooooooo!!!

Re-reading this thread just reminds me of my current situation, thanks for the messages of support, but I feel I need to report back on the 500ppm.

I have used 4 tanks of the cheap 500ppm.
    I have not saved a cent. Fuel consumption has increased.
    Cost over the previous month has increased from R1.664/Km to R1.767/Km so this morning I put in the last tank of 500pm.

Finances still haven't changed but from the evidence I will return to 50ppm from the next tank.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Deon, I'm sorry that things are not so lekker right now. I hope it passes soon.

im impressed at your running costs of 1.666/ km. My freelander is sitting at 1.572, but have just done a decat so it should come down.

Assume me your disco is blanked and decatted?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Re-reading this thread just reminds me of my current situation, thanks for the messages of support, but I feel I need to report back on the 500ppm.

I have used 4 tanks of the cheap 500ppm.
    I have not saved a cent. Fuel consumption has increased.
    Cost over the previous month has increased from R1.664/Km to R1.767/Km so this morning I put in the last tank of 500pm.

Finances still haven't changed but from the evidence I will return to 50ppm from the next tank.

Thank you Deon - this is interesting feedback.
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Deon, I'm sorry that things are not so lekker right now. I hope it passes soon.

im impressed at your running costs of 1.666/ km. My freelander is sitting at 1.572, but have just done a decat so it should come down.

Assume me your disco is blanked and decatted?
    Thanks, this too shall pass.
    I use my Disco mostly to work and back with the odd trip to the East Rand. I am very consious of my consumption, I watch the OBD to keep me in line. Since the tyre change everything is pretty accurate.

Never really noticed anything when I decatted and blnked but then I wasn't watch cents as closely.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

We really need to establish the long term effects of
    High S diesal vs Low S diesal, esp wrt lubrication etc,
    to establish the effects on the ENGINE etc

Environmental impacts and considerations are a seperate aspect.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Thanks, this too shall pass.
    I use my Disco mostly to work and back with the odd trip to the East Rand. I am very consious of my consumption, I watch the OBD to keep me in line. Since the tyre change everything is pretty accurate.

Never really noticed anything when I decatted and blnked but then I wasn't watch cents as closely.
    Being a proponent of using 2SO, why would you want to risk long term adverse effect on your injectors by using crappy diesel? The higher sulphur content is cringeworthy for use in modern low tolerance diesel engines.

Anyway, I hope things turn around for you soon.
    <hr />
    2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

More than capable of understanding all sorts of technical jargon.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy_za View Post
    Being a proponent of using 2SO, why would you want to risk long term adverse effect on your injectors by using crappy diesel?
    Whoever said 500ppm was crappy.
    2SO is used to overcome the stripping of lubrication in the process of converting 500ppm to 50ppm
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

the principal reason for reducing the sulphur content of diesel is emission control. Running on 500ppm would mean that no diesel motor would pass emissions control, not even with VW cheating.

as mentioned, reducing sulphur content also decreases lubricity, which in turn means additives must be added by the supply companies to bring lubricity up to the required standards.

High sulphur content also makes for shorter oil life - the soots and acids created tend to bypass the rings and land in the oil, as well as find their way to the sump through breathers and so on - especially on modern motors with several systems to reduce pollutants.

What this really means is that oil life is drastically reduced, really and truly, 7500km or so is where you want to be changing oil on a motor run on high content diesel. You can actually feel the oil dragging between your fingers when you dip the stick , and feel the grit, you don't need an analysis.

One of the big problems is that SA manufacturers offer motor plans as part of the purchase package in SA - and in any event, even if they don't (like on commercial vehicles) they want long intervals for running cost and down time advantages as a marketing tool.

20 000km service intervals for vehicles running high sulphur diesel are just not on. In fact, I blame the 20 000km service interval on the local jeep CRDs for the frequent premature failures we see on those motors.

In terms of that - the better consumption / lubricity one sees from higher sulphur diesel might well be offset by more frequent oil changes.

Personally.... I run scared from CRD Diesels these days. they are smelly time bombs, and not quite as efficient as people imagine. A good old fashioned Injector pump diesel is great.... modern ones are too delicate....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/10/16 at 10:20 AM.

Modern diesels arent finnicky. Just sensitive to lubrication, water and grit.

Change diesel filter every service and use good diesel. I like to add 2so for extra lube (founded or not, i like to do it)

10'000km for oil changes (ptovided you use good oil) should be good enough regardless of sulphur content.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    as mentioned, reducing sulphur content also decreases lubricity, which in turn means additives must be added by the supply companies to bring lubricity up to the required standards.

High sulphur content also makes for shorter oil life - the soots and acids created tend to bypass the rings and land in the oil, as well as find their way to the sump through breathers and so on - especially on modern motors with several systems to reduce pollutants.

What this really means is that oil life is drastically reduced, really and truly, 7500km or so is where you want to be changing oil on a motor run on high content diesel. You can actually feel the oil dragging between your fingers when you dip the stick , and feel the grit, you don't need an analysis.

One of the big problems is that SA manufacturers offer motor plans as part of the purchase package in SA - and in any event, even if they don't (like on commercial vehicles) they want long intervals for running cost and down time advantages as a marketing tool.

20 000km service intervals for vehicles running high sulphur diesel are just not on. In fact, I blame the 20 000km service interval on the local jeep CRDs for the frequent premature failures we see on those motors.

In terms of that - the better consumption / lubricity one sees from higher sulphur diesel might well be offset by more frequent oil changes.

Personally.... I run scared from CRD Diesels these days. they are smelly time bombs, and not quite as efficient as people imagine. A good old fashioned Injector pump diesel is great.... modern ones are too delicate....

correct on all points

And maybe the extended oil service intervals for D3/4 diesels has a bearing (geddit?) on their problems.

Maybe one of the questions Dirk should ask, is how many of the failed engines were overlanders or ran on co-op type diesel.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My Disco ran 24K services till bearing ran. Now he runs 12K services
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,