Repair cost of submerged vehicle - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Repair cost of submerged vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    The insurance excludes damage from water crossings, as stated in the original post.
    I saw that,

As the insurance part of the rental agreement usually excludes damage from water crossings,
    but I am referring to the agent's own insurance, not that 'sold' with the rental agreement.

Let's imagine the agent has insurance (which includes water damage, a la Tuffstuff).
    If he claims the loss from his insurer and makes the client responsible for the loss (other than the excess), it will amount to fraud.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

I think let's give the hire company the benefit of the doubt here, and not speculate about fraud. From the original post it appears that the affected party are not moaning about the fact that they have to pay, but rather the amount.

I can't see why the hire company would have two sets of insurance in place. Surely the insurance for clients would be an extension of your own policy? And if the vehicles are traversing areas in the Swamps it stands to reason that water crossings are excluded - the insurance company has probably paid for an excessive number of vehicles that have met their demise this way. As long as the hirers of the vehicle were made aware of this then there isn't really an issue.

People take water crossings with way to much blasť.

On my list of worries, it will probably come close to a conrod through the block.

Let me put it this way: If I am in a life threatening situation and up comes a deep water crossing, it won't be a trivial decision to make. I will look for other options first.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    People take water crossings with way to much blasť.

On my list of worries, it will probably come close to a conrod through the block.

Let me put it this way: If I am in a life threatening situation and up comes a deep water crossing, it won't be a trivial decision to make. I will look for other options first.
    absolutely

I'd rather take a 250km detour or wait 2 days before I risk my vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    And The same with the Renault (crossover thingy) that I had to tow in Namibia with a broken clutch. We all know they are not made for driving in the Sossusvlei sand

Bostoe
    If this is the Renault 4x4 thingy then its made for it. Its incompetence that ruins clutches.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    If this is the Renault 4x4 thingy then its made for it. Its incompetence that ruins clutches.
    The Dacia Duster isn't a proper 4x4
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The Dacia Duster isn't a proper 4x4
    Maybe true but it sure is very capable and will drive Sossusvlei sand with a breeze....add to that a certain X3 that also isn't a proper 4x4 yet manages more than fairly in the dunes.
    See the Sept issue of leisure wheels what they managed with it.

Nope, it wasn't a Duster.

Captur I think

It is a minor issue in comparison to the above story, neverthless, I would like to hear some opinions. I just returned from the trip in SA and Botswana with rented Hilux. When we returned the car (in Jo-burg), there was a small crack in one of the rear lights (the light was still whole, just a visible (barely) crack. It was obviously not due to accident/negligence as in such case, something else would be damaged, and apart from that ther was nothing wrong with the car (we were traveling eith kids so we really didn't drive any too risky roads/tracks). So I think it is most likely that crack in the light was caused by some stone from the road hiting it (if it realy wasn't there before). I would thought that by renting the bakkie to take to Chobe, Moremi, Kalahari etc, such thing would be calculated in the cost and considered wear and tear by the company, however, this is not the case as rental company want to charge us 1300 R for a new light. True, it is not that much money, it is more about principle, so I would be glad to hear what you guys think, is it really fair to charge the customers for such repairs or not (not to mention that at the time of rental we lost 1 hour and some nerves as they want to give us a car with tyres with very little profile left, and this was all with presumable reputable company).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Falstaf For This Useful Post:

Dear Falstaf,
    rear lights does not crack due to wear and tear.The amount you paid were less than what the genuine part cost.Stop moaning and enjoy the positive memories of your trip.
    Swakopmunder

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    Nope, it wasn't a Duster.

Captur I think
    The Capture is FWD so definitely not made for that.

Falstaf, to answer your question I don't think the hire company are being unreasonable. As Basie said a cracked rear light is not wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Falstaf, to answer your question I don't think the hire company are being unreasonable. As Basie said a cracked rear light is not wear and tear.
    Thanks for your opinions, I did not want to moan (I agreed to pay), I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    The Capture is FWD so definitely not made for that.
    That is why I called it a "crossover thingy"

Bostoe

This rental company is most probably on a self insurance/funded programme and as such they will demand their pound of flesh. Needless to say, they have seen all too many drownings of their vehicles and as such they will hold these people liable.

i believe that this 4x4 is a write-off.
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Why not supply vehicles that can survive human error and inexperience.

why supply a bakkie that they know cannot do the water crossings on the route the clients are going on ?

Not to start a brand anything but a simple Landrover TDI , overlockers, winch and with sealed snorkel comes to mind. Actually anything simple (read no electronics) and diesel would do the job.

hmm.. actually sounds like my next Landrover somehow, but anyway

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nitrious For This Useful Post:

Well, we used this one to winch/pull them out of the water. 8)

Name:  0456Still001.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  117.3 KB
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildpicture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nitrious View Post
    Why not supply vehicles that can survive human error and inexperience
    I don't think such a vehicle exists. Looking at the depth of that water anything short of a boat or submarine would have come up short.

As they say in the classics, the ignorant must suffer and this is a typical such case. The hirer should be compelled to do some sort of 4x4 course if they cannot demonstrate prior experience.

I am sure there was also an option for full insurance which they did not take. I always ensure that I have full insurance on any vehicle I hire in case there is any sort of incident. Under these circumstances I would insist on such before leaving the lot.

Anyway I am sure we can all learn from this that cars and water should be kept separate.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpicture View Post
    On our recent trip in Botswana we found a family with a submerged vehicle not too far from 3rd Bridge. They had tried a water crossing which failed. The engine and electronics were dead. We recovered (winched) their car from the water and helped them get it to 3rd bridge campsite. From there they were picked up the next day by a Maun based company who towed the car (a rental Hilux DC 4x4 diesel from a Namibian rental company) to Maun. From Maun I guess it was picked up by another car with trailer to bring it back to Namibia.

Right now I am paying one of the not so very budget car rental company's off, an additional R 50 000 over the original R 15 000 that they klapped my credit card for. In Botswana, near Shakawe. Did a fender bender on some calf.. I estimated the damage to be BWP 10 000 max. only a front fender and a light... not so , said they... They sent me 3 quotes.. what could I do ? and then there was the issues and tissues with the owner of the calf.. that I also had to pay out.. another story.

Wet van Transvaal.

Anyway, the devil is in the small print, and stupidly I did the stingy thing and took out the small insurance only.

I have learnt my lesson in the meantime.

If I rent a car, I take out the best possible insurance.. and on top of that the best possible travel insurance.. the one with the "excess cover" ... the mango has struck the fan once too often and so has Murphy.

Just as a point of interest, these guys that go stuck in the water.. are they fellow countrymen of yours ?

I have rented many 4X4 from reputable firms in SA. They all expressly warn you in writing not to take the vehicle through water. Full stop. There is only so much a company can do - if you don't want to read the documentation provided then accept the consequences. If you don't know how to drive a 4X4 then it's your responsibility to take lessons before your trip otherwise accept the consequences when you get yourself in the dwang. Really its not rocket science - people must learn to take some responsibility. Rule 1 - walk through the water/river crossing before you attempt to cross it. From the picture if they had done so they would not have even attempted the crossing. Always take out comprehensive insurance which covers tyres and windscreen cracks and travel insurance which covers excess. Basics.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tustinr For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast