Jeep Commander?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Commander?

Question Jeep Commander?

Ok so I've been wondering about the Jeep Commander (XK)
    I've always loved the boxy look that harks back to the XJ's and I've seen a White one from time to time on the roads, all lifted with looks like 33's on and thought hell, now thats a vehicle.

How do they compare to a Jeep WK? On road and Off-Road.

As far as I understand it's built on the same platform but with 7 Seats.
    The look like they might be a bit narrower than the GC? Maybe a bit top heavy?

100 000km to 150 000km does one go for a 4.7 v8 or a 3.0 CRD. The Hemi is just too much petrol from my Fuelly research.
    The CRD is a Mercedes 3l Common Rail Diesel mated to a Mercedes 5 speed gearbox. So it seems its not like the Cherokee KJ or KK Diesel that uses the VM Motori 2.5 and 2.8 Diesels.
    The V8 is the 4.7 V8 it seems thats been in the Grand Cherokees WK and WJ's
    If I was to pick up one of these how would the maintenance and parts be to get?

The Commander would really sort out my space requirements I think and could do pretty well as a overlander and still be able to do the odd Offroad trail I think.
    Last edited by Nox; 2016/09/02 at 03:05 PM.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Smile Re: Jeep Commander?

ek het ook al baie gekyk na hulle en oorweeg ook ene vir die rede van 7 seats maar nog so jaar of wat eers wag.

Net vir die feit dat ek weet Bulli ene ry sal ek ook maklik ene oorweeg!

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 (JKU)
    EX: Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Laredo (WK)
    EX: Suzuki Jimny 2010
    EX: Disco1 3.8i V8
    EX: Mitsubishi Lancer
    EX: '91 Toyota Corralla

Current Upgrades: 2" lift kit, ARB Bullbar, stronger coils.

4x4AG:0316

Default Re: Jeep Commander?

Quote Originally Posted by golfstok View Post
    ek het ook al baie gekyk na hulle en oorweeg ook ene vir die rede van 7 seats maar nog so jaar of wat eers wag.

Net vir die feit dat ek weet Bulli ene ry sal ek ook maklik ene oorweeg!
    Exactly! As Bulli een ry moet dit goed wees
    Ek mis my 4x4.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Wat het geword van jou landi

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 (JKU)
    EX: Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Laredo (WK)
    EX: Suzuki Jimny 2010
    EX: Disco1 3.8i V8
    EX: Mitsubishi Lancer
    EX: '91 Toyota Corralla

Current Upgrades: 2" lift kit, ARB Bullbar, stronger coils.

4x4AG:0316

Two pics I took in 2011. This Commander 5.7 belonged to forum member Arrie which I have not seen on the forum for ages but it was very, very capable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JeepTrackDay2 012.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	416486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JeepTrackDay2 013.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	416487  
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:

Nox

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Two pics I took in 2011. This Commander 5.7 belonged to forum member Arrie which I have not seen on the forum for ages but it was very, very capable.
    Arrie sold his for about R200k, which is a lot of vehicle for that money. He's into racing bikes now. His Commander did have an appetite for transfer cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Exactly! As Bulli een ry moet dit goed wees
    Ek mis my 4x4.
    I went in Bulli's one & it had big power. It was a 3.0 CRD Merc V6

Not speaking from experience but as far as I understand the thirst difference between the 4.7 and Hemi isn't as much as you'd guess, and the more highway cruising you do the better, as the Hemi has the MDS system that only fires on 4 cylinders under cruising conditions.

I have a CRD, got it at 162,000km, now on 180,000km. It's a risk, and there are some that will tell you its utter insanity. The risk is real, modern common-rail diesels do have some very expensive bits that can make your wallet curl up and die. The Merc 3.0 V6 has a reasonably good reputation though.

Servicing isn't particularly expensive, the filters are inexpensive, but (in the CRD anyway) the oil is quite pricey and you need almost 10l of it.

Is arguably the best vehicle I have owned. Comfortable, big, capable, well specced with features and a proper diesel engine that most other manufacturers can't compare to. From towing and launching boats (Mozambique) to Namib tours it handled everything with aplomb. I don't think you will beat it value for money. Like most Jeeps it does not have great resale value but that works in your favour now.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigDM For This Useful Post:

Overall do you think a well looked after 4.7 V8 would be a better pre-owned buy than a well looked after 3.0 CRD?
    I'm not sure I will want to spend R35K on a lift for such a beast but I wont mind ....and will "have to"... lift it about 50mm for some 31"s at least.
    Anyone locally that can help with that? My first thought is Maniac / JKAccessories. I didnt come right with them last time for my KJ but they were awesome as usual about this so I am willing to give them a second go if I go down this route.

Well, whether I go WK, XK or KK.....yeah the KK is now also on the radar again......it has the 3.7 V6.
    The Commander is pulling at the heart strings though.
    But...... V8 or the CRD?

Quote Originally Posted by golfstok View Post
    Wat het geword van jou landi
    Kon baie maak op hom en in n beleging insit en het sense gemaak toe om hom te laat gaan. Bietjie spyt nou, maar dan dink ek weer hoekom ek dit gedoen het dan voel ek beter
    Last edited by Nox; 2016/09/05 at 10:19 AM.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Overall do you think a well looked after 4.7 V8 would be a better pre-owned buy than a well looked after 3.0 CRD?
    I could be wrong, but I think the 4.7 came in the lesser Sport spec, whereas the Hemi & CRD both were available in the more desirable Limited spec. If you're getting a V8 then you may as well get a Hemi. But the CRD has proven to be very reliable if cared for & isn't much slower than the Hemi off the line.

I think you are right but the Sport vs Limited only differs in terms of Cloth vs Leather and then Sunroof on the Limited. Other things are cosmetic...like the Chrome grill and so on....I really dislike chrome so if I go for a Limited I'll get that powdercoated black anycase.

Seems I must worry about the engine or model spec but just seek for a well looked after specimen.
    I missed a damn nice one with a day. Lifted, 33"s, FSH, 1 owner since new.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

The Limited also had the TV in the back! Plus some other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    The Limited also had the TV in the back! Plus some other stuff
    I keep on forgetting about that TV that everyone reminds me about. Seems if you want to sell a vehicle put in a TV.
    But you are right, also things like self levelling headlights, better sound system and so on.

So I saw a 3.0 CRD and the guys state it has had Glo Plugs done and a New Turbo.
    Would a Turbo change mean something went bad to cause the turbo to go, or will a Turbo that goes dammage other things?
    It's anyway out of my budget I think, but I am asking anyway.

It's amazing to me that I can buy a Commander or Grand Cherokee AND a TJ, for the price of a nice JKU.
    Last edited by Nox; 2016/09/06 at 11:18 AM.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

That diesel is really a remarkable engine and it never misses a beat. I am still going to put one into my Wrangler, or should I say I hope Bulli will.

2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Very nice but 2.8 crd. Those handgrenade no?

I missed this one. Its sold.
    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakk...00911011159409

The problem is space as well. Needs to be a JKU if I go Wrangler...well maybe not.
    Last edited by Nox; 2016/09/06 at 01:27 PM.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Nox - you're putting your head into a hornets nest if you buy a CRD Commander.

It is a problem - How are you ever going to be happy with whatever you
    buy after the Commander it

Smile Re: Jeep Commander?

My 3.0 CRD WK currently stands on 288 000 km and is still going well. I recently replaced all six injectors as it was slightly smoking on idling. Three of them was dripping and the other three also wasn't new anymore. About R30K for the 6 injectors. It is still on the original turbo (I think complete replacement turbo is about R15k-R20K).

In the last 100K kilometres I've replaced tyres, shocks (front 1x Billsteins, 1x rebuilt Billsteins and now an original Mopar set and at the rear a set of Procomp shocks which does well) , a set of front brake pads (after 100 000km not completely finished), glow plugs and control module, alternator (don't spill oil on it!), 2x starters (had a damaged ring gear), ignition switch, bypassed the swirl motor and knocked out the cat. For the rest it was normal services (most of them were done on 20 000km intervals). The Jeep has been lifted for the last 100 000 and CV's are still OK. Most of the repairs and servicing I do myself. Bulli replaced the second starter and sorted out the ringgear.

I am quite happy with the service I get from the Jeep and plan to keep it for quite some time (that justified the injector replacements). Maybe a turbo in the near future as preventative maintenance.

It is possible to spend less on a small vehicle, but my opinion is that well looked after 3.0 CRD is good value for money if you take the type of vehicle and the second buying price into account.

By the way, the Jeep still haven't swallowed 2so....
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GerritS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    Nox - you're putting your head into a hornets nest if you buy a CRD Commander.

It is a problem - How are you ever going to be happy with whatever you
    buy after the Commander it
    HAHA thats the issue.
    I sat in one and I drove a WK Hemi. It's awesome and makes the Cherokee KK i also looked at seem like a toy. (quality wise)

But I still have a soft spot for a KJ/KK so maybe it's not a terrible idea. I liked mine. But the Commander is just another level.

Quote Originally Posted by GerritS View Post
    My 3.0 CRD WK currently stands on 288 000 km and is still going well. I recently replaced all six injectors as it was slightly smoking on idling. Three of them was dripping and the other three also wasn't new anymore. About R30K for the 6 injectors. It is still on the original turbo (I think complete replacement turbo is about R15k-R20K).
    Quote Originally Posted by GerritS View Post

In the last 100K kilometres I've replaced tyres, shocks (front 1x Billsteins, 1x rebuilt Billsteins and now an original Mopar set and at the rear a set of Procomp shocks which does well) , a set of front brake pads (after 100 000km not completely finished), glow plugs and control module, alternator (don't spill oil on it!), 2x starters (had a damaged ring gear), ignition switch, bypassed the swirl motor and knocked out the cat. For the rest it was normal services (most of them were done on 20 000km intervals). The Jeep has been lifted for the last 100 000 and CV's are still OK. Most of the repairs and servicing I do myself. Bulli replaced the second starter and sorted out the ringgear.

I am quite happy with the service I get from the Jeep and plan to keep it for quite some time (that justified the injector replacements). Maybe a turbo in the near future as preventative maintenance.

It is possible to spend less on a small vehicle, but my opinion is that well looked after 3.0 CRD is good value for money if you take the type of vehicle and the second buying price into account.

By the way, the Jeep still haven't swallowed 2so....

Gerrit

Thanks for this for a 300 000km vehicle with that Mileage / fuel consumption / features and power I dont think thats too bad. Esp since you can pick them up for relatively cheap pre owned.
    Last edited by Nox; 2016/09/06 at 01:30 PM.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast