A short Moremi story with photos - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: A short Moremi story with photos

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We have never camped at Third Bridge before, and although we still prefer the Xakanaka area, we enjoy the campsite and the way it is run very efficiently by Xomae.

We have two adventures in the campsite: an elephant stampede and a hippo walking within armís length of our chairs.
    Hi Lekhubu, when were you at third bridge? We had the hippo in our campsite the night of the 25th Aug. Just as we were about to dish up dinner, then mister in your photo arrived uninvited. We had a waltzing dinner between the cars. One stage he moved to the tents were the kids were sleeping. He was right next a dome tent with a 2 year old was sleeping and stood there for a couple of minutes. Felt like a couple of hours and there is nothing you can do. My oldest son collected some sausage tree fruit earlier the day and put right next to the trailer. Mr hippo enjoyed the snack supplied half a meter away from my kids. He was very relaxed but we did not want to scare this deadly beast and had to wait it out. Another couple of minutes felt like hour. Luckily the kids were very calm and did not panic.

Next evening on the 26th just after midnight, we also had a stampede of elephants next to our campsite. One stage I though they are going to run in to our trailer as branches broke and elephants screaming right next to our tent.

Bit scary at time.

@ Agteros, nee ek het juis my hoek so gekies dat die linker agter bumper nie wys nie. Hy het so krap op waar manlief te skerp gedraai het met die karavaan. Maar die hele kar is vol fyn "bush stripes".

@ Stan, thanks for your balanced view as always. And I understand what you are saying. Despite the camps being larger in terms of more sites, we did not feel particularly crowded and they are mostly far apart. The bathrooms are certainly a welcome change, with that I can only agree. Again disappointment is not really the right word, but I use it for lack of laying my finger on a better one, and as said we will not return soon but we might return another time. We are in a bit of a different situation than for instance you guys in that we are strictly bound by timing and length of school holidays. We just feel that instead of revisiting Moremi again and again (this has been our 4th trip in total) there are areas that we have discovered that we enjoy more and have not fully explored. There is also Namibia which we have never been to. And Zambia that needs a couple of more visits. From our point of view, we want to concentrate on those areas for the time being with the precious time we get to break away. But one thing I am adamant about is never to visit again in August or September. It is dry, dusty, windy, little bird life. I much prefer April or November and love the greenery, then the Delta really resembles paradise.

@ Blikkies, no that was before your encounter. I think the evening of the 22nd because we moved to Xakanaka on the 23rd. This hippo was very calm around people and he has pulled his stunt before. Two women and two kids jumping from the chairs, running and screaming did not phase him at all. We later joked that it was probably him laughing at us when he was back in the water. We were in no 6 and he walked through site no 5, nearly knocking their table over, and then through our site to the water. With hippos taking leisurely strolls and elephant stampedes, I am glad my son is in the caravan off the ground with us
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2016/09/01 at 05:03 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

[QUOTE=lekhubu943;[email protected] Blikkies, no that was before your encounter. I think the evening of the 22nd because we moved to Xakanaka on the 23rd. This hippo was very calm around people and he has pulled his stunt before. Two women and two kids jumping from the chairs, running and screaming did not phase him at all. We later joked that it was probably him laughing at us when he was back in the water. We were in no 6 and he walked through site no 5, nearly knocking their table over, and then through our site to the water. With hippos taking leisurely strolls and elephant stampedes, I am glad my son is in the caravan off the ground with us[/QUOTE]

I think we saw you Xakanaxa on the 23rd. We arrived at Xakanaxa from Khwai enrote to 3rd bridge. Had a quick stopped there for brunch. We initially stopped at site 5 (we stayed there at our last visit) but there was people that arrived to pitch camp so we moved to no 9 I think.
    Last edited by Blikkies01; 2016/09/01 at 05:13 PM.

What were you guys driving, Blikkies?

We were a bit frazzled by the time we got allocated no 4 and started pitching camp, I really did not notice anybody on no 5. We did leave the caravan and the kids on no 9 for quite a while though while myself and the other lady drove around with their Hilux and trailer. But there was nobody else on on 9 then. So maybe it was us that began pitching camp when you moved.

Very nice report Lekhubu, thanks very much! Glad to read you had a very nice trip despite the rubbish and other disappointments at Xakanaxa!

Thanks for the report. Sad to see it so dry.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Nice trip report with some fun and entertainment along the way! Thanks for the info on the water depth at 3rd bridge
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

Thanks for reading Rik, Plod and XisBo
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2016/09/02 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    What were you guys driving, Blikkies?

We were a bit frazzled by the time we got allocated no 4 and started pitching camp, I really did not notice anybody on no 5. We did leave the caravan and the kids on no 9 for quite a while though while myself and the other lady drove around with their Hilux and trailer. But there was nobody else on on 9 then. So maybe it was us that began pitching camp when you moved.
    We were 3 vehicles, silver Navara with an Echo trailer, gold Jeep with some funny trailer and a white Pajero.

Ah I remember the silver Navara! Pity I did not know it was you guys.

Thank you, I always enjoy reading your reports and when I saw your post during the week, I decided to hold this one over for the weekend when I have more time. Moremi looks as beautiful as ever albeit very dry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your comment and taking time to read my TR, Merwe .
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2016/09/05 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks, for the report and photos. We have a Moremi trip penciled in for Apr 2018.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Thanks lekhubu943, cool photos!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kirkfort For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting, pity we missed each other, hopefully next time.

Glad your small issues were sorted out quickly and efficiently.

Posted the above then read the thread re Kwalate. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Yes, pity that we missed each other!

Our friends are also back home now and we will start to get our photos and actions in a row wrt to Kwalate. I will certainly shout if help is needed, thank you.

We were also in the area last week (Pajero & Bushlapa Boskriek) - a short summary with photos follow:
    Kgama Rhino Sanctuary - fantastic camp site, thoroughly enjoyable;
    Maun River Camp - acceptable but noisy at night;
    Mankwe Mopani Camp - dry with little shade and got quite dilapidated since our last visit in 2004 - would not stay there again;
    Tshaa Community Camp outside Mababe - most wonderful camp (6 sites, 1,4 and 6 being "out of this world") with wild life in and around camp almost all the time - scary at times though!!
    Woodlands Camp Sites Francistown - wonderful to seeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	KhamaRhinoSanctuary.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	417855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaunRiverCamp.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	417856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mankwe.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	417857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TshaaCamp.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	417858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woodlands.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	417859 green grass stands again with first class ablutions

Thanks for sharing Louis, we actually saw 3 BushLapas in Botswana.

Tshaa seems nice and I am reading consistently good feedback about the camp.

We have always loved Khama Rhino and after they really went out of their way to find space for us late on a Sunday afternoon, despite being fully booked, I like them even more!

Thanks for your trip report ,was good to meet you as well .Hope all is well with your son now that you are back home .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast