Low profile tyres for off road use. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Low profile tyres for off road use.

There you go then, thanks.

Visually the 20" hopelessly sidewall challenged compared to the 16", but as the calculator shows, there's not as great a difference in rubber.

Also when you see it like that, which tyre actually has more rubber on the road at normal inflation.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    There you go then, thanks.

Visually the 20" hopelessly sidewall challenged compared to the 16", but as the calculator shows, there's not as great a difference in rubber.
    Not always true.

65 etc)
    So for instance the 45/315 20" tyres on my Range Rover may actually as much sidewall as a 65/245 16" of a Defender.

Take it you mean to say 315/45r20 & 245/65r16?
    In which case there is 12.5% more sidewall on the 245's.
    (Imho 245/65r16 is too small for a defender, I would use 235/85r16's, then you will have 41.1% more sidewall
    ..)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315vs245.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	415854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315vs235.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	415855  

Quote Originally Posted by willa View Post
    Are low profile tyres more prone to side wall damage than higher profile tyres? Willa
    How low are we talking about here? On what vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by SJC View Post
    Not always true.

Take it you mean to say 315/45r20 & 245/65r16?
    In which case there is 12.5% more sidewall on the 245's.
    (Imho 245/65r16 is too small for a defender, I would use 235/85r16's, then you will have 41.1% more sidewall
    ..)
    We are getting off topic here.

My point is people often think of low profiles being severely sidewall challenged, which is a viewpoint supported by looking at paltkar wheels.

In SUV's with large rims there is still a large amount of sidewall rubber. My intention is not to compare the two but highlight this fact.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

High profile tires are coming back in electric cars. Fluffy said correct about profiles. Overseas company tested new BMW electric car. High profile tires deflated in cornering. Same happened to me on Datsun A100.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Low profile tyre have less side wall that can deform, deflated or not, thus better road holding on tar. If you deflate them then you dont score much in terms of movement of the side wall, and contact area.
    Johan Kriel

Low profiles have a higher risk of sidewall damage and/or rim damage when encountering a hard object.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I did some serious overlanding on 255/60R18 Pirellis. They have a 153mm sidewall.

My next tyres will be the bigger 265/65R18 size which has a 172.25mm sidewall.

By comparison a discovery 1 comes standard with 235/70R16 tyres with a 164.5mm sidewall.

And the standard defender 235/85R16 tyre which is a respected size has a 199.75mm sidewall.

Therefore I would say <150mm is not suited for offroading and >200mm is only suited for offroading.

And the bigger the wheel diameter the more rubber is touching the road under normal pressures...

Thumbs up Re: Low profile tyres for off road use.

Actually the opposite is more the case. Low profiles tend to have VERY rigid sidewalls to give stability in high speed cornering.

High profiles "balloon" much more. The reason they are less prone to shredding, is because there is a larger distance between the surface and the rim to absorb protruding objects. In this mode high profiles are actually extremely susceptible to sidewall damage due to sharp objects.

Look at the tyres game drive vehicles and game rangers use.

Another thing to consider is wheel size. Low profile tend to be wider, and because the profile number(55,60,65 etc) is a ratio of sidewall height to tyre width, quoting the profile number only is virtually meaningless from a sidewall height point of view. And the larger the wheel the bigger the sidewall for the same profile number.

So for instance the 45/315 20" tyres on my Range Rover may actually as much sidewall as a 65/245 16" of a Defender.

I challenge anyone here saying that low profile tyres are better on dirt / have more contact area / less sidewall damage to come drive the roads in my area. We'll do about 400 km on mainly dirt roads between 4 towns in a circular route all on public roads. Ensure you have spares as you won't buy those low profile tyres in the area. There's a reason for that.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    I challenge anyone here saying that low profile tyres are better on dirt / have more contact area / less sidewall damage to come drive the roads in my area. We'll do about 400 km on mainly dirt roads between 4 towns in a circular route all on public roads. Ensure you have spares as you won't buy those low profile tyres in the area. There's a reason for that.
    Who said that it's better? I only see explanations that sometimes it's a perception when you look at the tyre sizes that it's a low profile when in fact it's not.
    Where is your area? I had 255/55/R19 on the disco, does that qualify as low profile?

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    Who said that it's better? I only see explanations that sometimes it's a perception when you look at the tyre sizes that it's a low profile when in fact it's not.
    Where is your area? I had 255/55/R19 on the disco, does that qualify as low profile?
    Check my location for where my area is. So you're up for the challenge then? We can throw in a visit to the only cheese maker on a farm in the dry Groot Karoo on the route. I'll arrange it for lunch. Hope your Disco doesn't automatically lower its suspension over 40 km/h because we will then have a very long drive. Bring more than two spares along if you're going to use the 255/55/R19 as you won't buy those tyres in the area.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    I would consider that a lowish profile. My dad had a problem getting those tyres for his Disco when he did a trip from CPT to Augrabies. Popped 2 on route up.

Below is a comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191222_082020.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	551525

45mm less profile that an average size 265/70/16.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

We are getting off topic here.

My point is people often think of low profiles being severely sidewall challenged, which is a viewpoint supported by looking at paltkar wheels.

In SUV's with large rims there is still a large amount of sidewall rubber. My intention is not to compare the two but highlight this fact.
    Exactly.

Looking for a full size spare for the XC60, I eventually bought a complete set of 19" rims from someone who had them on an S60. Upon enquiring why the sale, he explained the potholes in Bloem was just too much for the 40 profile tyres the rims came with. He went down to 18" rims, upped the tyre profile and transformed the ride.

Now, this should put one right off fitting these rims to an SUV expected to do trails, but the standard profile for these rims on an XC60 is 55. I went one size wider - 235 to 255 - so the equivalent sidewall is now the same as a 60 profile on an 18" rim, and I had no issues with that on the Freelander 2 over almost 200k km. Except for the scarcity and resultant high cost of tyres that size. Both 17" and 19" tyres of the same type are cheaper.

The ride is much better on the new tyres, and on a recent trip to Swaziland two milestone potholes caused no damage to the 5 spoke wheels. I can of course not prove it, but the impact of these two potholes was so severe, I suspect the earth may be running a slightly different orbit now.

So large wheels? Just add sufficient rubber.

That being said, 19" is as large as I would go. Shady runs the same size on his Evoque, and if you follow the softroader threads, you'll see where that goes.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/12/29 at 09:54 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2