Insurance Advice





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Insurance Advice

    Hi all,

    Need some advice on Insurance. I have an LC 76 Series 2 person expedition truck. It was insured with tuffstuff before we went on an overland journey for 14 months. I had to cancel my insurance with them before we left as they would not cover us past the equator (which is normal).

    We returned a couple of months ago and I went back to them to get insurance (thinking they would only be so happy to have me back). To my surprise, they (the underwriter - REAM) refused to even give me a quote. So after not getting a reason and being told that it is their right to refuse a quote I went searching for other options

    I am still waiting for a Cross Country quote for over a week (through FNB Brokers) - so that seems like its out.

    My normal broker has got me quotes from Santam, M&F All Sure and M&F OneSure (Only for Offroad).

    So, after my sad soppy story, here is the question:

    Does anyone have experience with Santam insurance for overland expedition trucks? This seemed to the best cover from the 3 quotes I got.

    Thanks a mill
    Farhaan
    Last edited by renewable; 2016/08/23 at 01:08 PM.
    "Home is where we stop..."
    The Khan Playground
    www.thekhanplayground.co.za
    Facebook: The Khan Playground
    Instagram: @thekhanplayground

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brits
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,044
    Thanked: 424

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Have you tried Alexander Forbes?
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    63
    Posts
    822
    Thanked: 272

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by renewable View Post
    Hi all,

    Need some advice on Insurance. I have an LC 76 Series 2 person expedition truck. It was insured with tuffstuff before we went on an overland journey for 14 months. I had to cancel my insurance with them before we left as they would not cover us past the equator (which is normal).

    We returned a couple of months ago and I went back to them to get insurance (thinking they would only be so happy to have me back). To my surprise, they (the underwriter - REAM) refused to even give me a quote. So after not getting a reason and being told that it is their right to refuse a quote I went searching for other options

    I am still waiting for a Cross Country quote for over a week (through FNB Brokers) - so that seems like its out.

    My normal broker has got me quotes from Santam, M&F All Sure and M&F OneSure (Only for Offroad).

    So, after my sad soppy story, here is the question:

    Does anyone have experience with Santam insurance for overland expedition trucks? This seemed to the best cover from the 3 quotes I got.

    Thanks a mill
    Farhaan
    I find it strange that you cancelled your insurance so did you travel without insurance the whole trip .Did you discuss the issue with Tuff Stuff before you cancelled . They must have a valid reason for not wanting you back as a client

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 347

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    please email me... [email protected] so l can look into this for you. I will need you I'd number and name and surname
    Last edited by Raymond du Plessis; 2016/08/23 at 06:37 PM.
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I find it strange that you cancelled your insurance so did you travel without insurance the whole trip .Did you discuss the issue with Tuff Stuff before you cancelled . They must have a valid reason for not wanting you back as a client
    I am sure they have a valid reason that is why i did not take it any further with them, I was however still irritated about it .

    I did discuss my travels with them and since we drove upto the border of China they were unable to cover us all the way. We then had them cover us to Kenya (the furthest cover from them) and then had Lloyds of London cover us for the rest of Africa and the other 2 continents.
    "Home is where we stop..."
    The Khan Playground
    www.thekhanplayground.co.za
    Facebook: The Khan Playground
    Instagram: @thekhanplayground

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to renewable For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    Have you tried Alexander Forbes?
    Thanks JuanB. A couple of years ago I got a quote for my Pajero from them but the premium was extremely high... maybe worth a try again now.
    "Home is where we stop..."
    The Khan Playground
    www.thekhanplayground.co.za
    Facebook: The Khan Playground
    Instagram: @thekhanplayground

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,082
    Thanked: 2614

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    please email me... [email protected] so l can look into this for you. I will need you I'd number and name and surname
    This would seem to be a solution?
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    30
    Posts
    190
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Just as an extra option maybe try another broker too?

    Mine has always been great with unbeatable cover and premiums.

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ng-the-Vehicle
    Current : 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.2D (General)

    Follow the most recent part of my journey to building up a great vehicpe

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...earchid=918879
    Previous :
    2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.2D (Moses)
    2012 Mazda BT-50 D/C SLE 2.2 (Die Trok)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    This would seem to be a solution?
    Raymond and team from TuffStuff went back to the insurer and got me a quote
    "Home is where we stop..."
    The Khan Playground
    www.thekhanplayground.co.za
    Facebook: The Khan Playground
    Instagram: @thekhanplayground

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Insurance Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by De_Villiers View Post
    Just as an extra option maybe try another broker too?

    Mine has always been great with unbeatable cover and premiums.

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ng-the-Vehicle
    Thanks De Villiers, will check out the options you have provided.
    "Home is where we stop..."
    The Khan Playground
    www.thekhanplayground.co.za
    Facebook: The Khan Playground
    Instagram: @thekhanplayground

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •