Prado 120 fuel gauge and tank issue, help needed!

Default Prado 120 fuel gauge and tank issue, help needed!

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me with advice for my 2007 Prado (4.0 petrol VX, LR 180L dual tank) - I've read many threads which relate to the more common fuel issues with the 120, but none seem to fit mine 100%. Here is the deal:

At around 150k kms the Prado began to intermittently not start or go out unannounced. This problem was eventually found and fixed by diagnosing the fuel pump as faulty - the pump actually worked, however there was a wire that was not connected properly (I assume it was the known problem of the soldering point). They re-soldered it and since then the car drives well.

However, since then the fuel gauge is all over the show. I can fill both tanks to the brim and it would show me full, after 20kms or so and with varying outside temps it then shows half empty on second tank on the next start. Something different on next start, completely empty with range meter on 0 after maybe 20L consumed out of the 180L and then all from the top. Incredibly annoying. This is the first problem.

The second problem might well be connected: Since the repair the car seems to go in some sort of limp mode when the fuel amount falls below roughly 80kms range. The car drives fine with normal torque in lower revs, however when I perform a kick down and the gearbox shifts down 2 gears the car revs up, but it does not translate into power output, it just revs and slowly returns to a lower rev count where it picks up restricted power. Could be fuel pick up, could be the filter, could be pressure in the tank, but does it somehow connect to the above two?

I booked the car in for a service on Thursday - would hugely appreciate some feedback of things to check off the list to exclude or confirm certain things - want to be as specific as possible with workshop, before they nail me for a new pump and it might not fix the problem.

Looking forward to your answers and thanks in advance,
    Cheers from the Cape,
    Matt

Default Re: Prado 120 fuel gauge and tank issue, help needed!

Any insights here guys? Would really appreciate it!
    Cheers

Hi,

My Prado had fuel gauge issues with the fuel gauge getting stuck on 90L and a quarter. This was diagnosed as a loose wire by Toyota. So something that you can have looked at. On PradoPoint I recall someone discussing the location of the wire.

The limp mode issue sounds very similar to an issue I had in the beginning of the year (I posted a thread here) and this was diagnosed as a failing fuel pump by doing a fuel line pressure test. (I realise you have already had it replaced but hopefully this narrows things down)
    Prado 120 VX V6, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack, Wild Earth RTT

Hey,

thanks for the reply - it actually wasn't replaced, it was just resoldered, so I suspect you're right with the fuel pump assessment. Any rough idea of for how much I'm in for for a full replacement of the unit?

Thanks again!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by KJD View Post
    Hi,

My Prado had fuel gauge issues with the fuel gauge getting stuck on 90L and a quarter. This was diagnosed as a loose wire by Toyota. So something that you can have looked at. On PradoPoint I recall someone discussing the location of the wire.

The limp mode issue sounds very similar to an issue I had in the beginning of the year (I posted a thread here) and this was diagnosed as a failing fuel pump by doing a fuel line pressure test. (I realise you have already had it replaced but hopefully this narrows things down)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbook View Post
    Hey,

thanks for the reply - it actually wasn't replaced, it was just resoldered, so I suspect you're right with the fuel pump assessment. Any rough idea of for how much I'm in for for a full replacement of the unit?

Thanks again!
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

It was around R6k from Toyota for the fuel pump.

Regards

Kyle
    Prado 120 VX V6, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack, Wild Earth RTT

Quote Originally Posted by KJD View Post
    Hi Matt,

It was around R6k from Toyota for the fuel pump.

Regards

Kyle
    For closure, you were spot on - changed pump and assembly and car pulls like a champ again. Still noticing a few funnies in the range meter, however all seems back to normal. Cost was R6200 with labour and all.

Thanks for your help and hope the solution helps other folks down the line.

M
    Last edited by mattbook; 2016/09/12 at 08:36 AM.