Best / Most Scenic Route to Zanzibar from Arusha

Default Best / Most Scenic Route to Zanzibar from Arusha

Hi folks, we're entering Tanzania in about a month from Malawi. Travelling overland in an old defender. We're wondering the best route to take up north and over the zanzibar. We're not to keen to spend much time in game parks but want to camp as much as possible, preferably in unoffical (read free) camp spots.

Any reccomended driving route would be greatly apprecaited. We plan on coming down the coast.
    Last edited by worldofinflation; 2016/08/22 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Best / Most Scenic Route to Zanzibar from Arusha

Considering that your budget seems to be a consideration perhaps you should consider trying to get to Zanzibar by dhow instead of the ferries. This is a more adventurous alternative. Most people do this crossing to Zanzibar from Dar es Salaam. However, if like us, you are not keen to spend time in large African cities consider staying at Peponi Resort between Tanga and Pangani south of Dar. The owner's daughter should still be running this lovely resort and Carys Ashley is most helpful and knowledgeable. She can probably organise either a dhow trip or one on a high speed motor boat leaving from close to Peponi. She allowed us to store our vehicle at the resort at no charge which will be a considerable saving compared to around Dar. If you book the trip well in advance with some flexibility of the exact dates, fellow passengers could well be found and sharing will considerably lower the costs. I would definately also stay at Peponi, it is really lovely. Camping was US$6,50 per person per night last year.

Contact Carys well in advance at [email protected] Their website is at www.peponiresort.com.

Wild camping on the Swahili Coast is unfortunately not going to be easy as the coast is relatively highly populated.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2016/08/22 at 11:19 AM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by worldofinflation View Post
    Hi folks, we're entering Tanzania in about a month from Malawi. Travelling overland in an old defender. We're wondering the best route to take up north and over the zanzibar. We're not to keen to spend much time in game parks but want to camp as much as possible, preferably in unoffical (read free) camp spots.

Any reccomended driving route would be greatly apprecaited. We plan on coming down the coast.
    It is not clear to me what you are asking. However, I will take it that you are just asking for advice for the section from Arusha to a departure port for Zanzibar. Before I give my advice, I have a few points to make.

• All land actually belongs to either an individual or a community. It would impolite just to pitch camp without permission. That is not to say one cannot wild camp, but I would like you to bear the above in mind. Also, there may be security concerns. Wild camping is not so easy nowadays anywhere in Africa.
    • If you do get permission to camp in or near a village, remember to pay the elder of the village for allowing you to camp.
    • Respect the Muslim traditions of the coastal areas.

As Stan says, there are a few options of getting across to Zanzibar. From Pangani, Bagamoyo or Dar es Salaam. Make your choice, but I hope you know that you will be going without your vehicle to Zanzibar.

With the above point in mind, there is only one practical route from Arusha. That is Arusha-Moshi-Korogwe-Segera.

(I am on a dodgy Internet connection at the moment and will continue my advice on another post).

To continue from my previous post...

The route from Arusha to Segera (and/or Tanga) takes you past a number of mountain ranges. First of all is, of course, Kilimanjaro - then the North Pares, the South Pares, the West Usambaras, and then the East Usambaras. These mountain ranges are all heavily populated as this is fertile ground. There are camping places in both the West and East Usambaras and they are both lovely mountain ranges. At Segera you can either go to Tanga or Pangani. As Stan says, the highly recommended place to stay or camp is Peponis between Tanga and Pangani. It is on the coast.

Again, as Stan says, the coast is highly populated and wild camping will not be possible.

You will see from a map that there are some tracks shown from Arusha/Moshi due south and then east through what is known as the Masai Steppe. This will be very much off the beaten track and I am not sure I could recommend this route through Kibaya and Hamdeni. It would be a real challenge in the rains. There won't be much to see: there is an expression well-known in East Africa - MMBA (miles and miles of b....y Africa) and this region of the Masai Steppe is likely to be just that!

Safari njema!

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    You will see from a map that there are some tracks shown from Arusha/Moshi due south and then east through what is known as the Masai Steppe. This will be very much off the beaten track and I am not sure I could recommend this route through Kibaya and Hamdeni. It would be a real challenge in the rains. There won't be much to see: there is an expression well-known in East Africa - MMBA (miles and miles of b....y Africa) and this region of the Masai Steppe is likely to be just that!

Safari njema!
    I've done the Maasai Steppe, and some of the tracks are very challenging, and while there are pockets of real beauty, most of it is, indeed, miles and miles of bloody Africa. The Usambaras are worth visiting - the forests around Amani (East Usambara) are said to have the highest level of species endemicism of any forest in East and Central Africa, with 680 of the recorded 2 000 plant species occurring nowhere else in the world. Covering 24 000 ha, there are 250 recorded species of forest trees, around 60 of which are found nowhere else, and several rare birds, with the Naduk Eagle Owl, the Usambara Alethe and the Usambara Weaver endemic.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2016/08/23 at 06:51 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks, Tony. We have spent many a happy day in the East Usambaras at Amani searching out endemics. In fact, we met the former No 1 bird watcher in the world - Tom Gullick who has over 9000 species in his bird list (just Google him) - at Amani. He said he was "mopping up Eastern Arc endemics from 20 years ago" and we benefitted from him bringing in local guides (then not using them) as he was after the Usambara Eagle Owl. His unused local guides then helped us with finding the Long Billed Tailor Bird (of which there are only 150 in this small area which is their only habitat and are therefore one of the most endangered and rare birds in the world. When we met Tom Gullick at the 1901 German guesthouse at Amani, he had, the previous year, mounted an expedition into the DRc involving some 500 porters. That all harks back to Stanley.

Also, the rain forest in the East Usambaras, in particular, is absolutely wonderful with lianas, orchids etc in abundance.

But we transgress from the original poster's question. But then we are lucky enough to know how special these places are which most people have never even heard of.

Thanks, Tony. We have spent many a happy day in the East Usambaras at Amani searching out endemics.
    The irony is that we camped at Amani and my wife came down with a fierce bout of malaria, probably contracted on Zanzibar, and I treated her on the spot, not realising that we were a couple of hundred metres from the WHO malaria research site where some of the world's top malaria scientists were working.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

But then we are lucky enough to know how special these places are which most people have never even heard of.
    Indeed. The Usambaras are right up there on that list of special places, along with places like the Kakemega Forest, Cherangani Hills, Lake Turkana, Lake Magadi and the Mathews Range. We are privileged to have been there.
    Safari njema.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2016/08/24 at 12:05 AM.
    Tony Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Indeed. The Usambaras are right up there on that list of special places, along with places like the Kakemega Forest, Cherangani Hills, Lake Turkana, Lake Magadi and the Mathews Range. We are privileged to have been there.
    Safari njema.
    Indeed we are enormously privileged. To make you jealous: on Sunday we are off to the Mukogodo Forest - which is on the edge of the Laikipia plateau looking north to Ololokwe and the Mathews Range. An incredibly beautiful part of northern Kenya.

The original poster on this thread will be very confused now that we have gone off on a tangent to Kenya...

Indeed we are enormously privileged. To make you jealous: on Sunday we are off to the Mukogodo Forest - which is on the edge of the Laikipia plateau looking north to Ololokwe and the Mathews Range. An incredibly beautiful part of northern Kenya.

The original poster on this thread will be very confused now that we have gone off on a tangent to Kenya...
    Jealous - that's next to Lewa. One of my favourite roads (done many years ago) is the one from Suguta to Kipsing via Barsalinga. And OP, sorry about the thread hijack - the upside is that you have been given a whole bunch of names of places in Kenya that you won't necessarily find in the guide books, completely off the tourist circuit.
    Tony Weaver

Thank you gentelmen for the thoughtful and detailed advice. Not bothered by the tangetal shift to Kenya. We'll be there soon.

Very keen to dhow over to Zanzibar. And in regards to Wild Camping, the pretext is that we get permission when permission is needed. We put respect of the local folk (and of the enviorment) first always. We've had some of our best expiriences in Africa camping this way in the past 3 years..

Quote Originally Posted by worldofinflation View Post
    Thank you gentelmen for the thoughtful and detailed advice. Not bothered by the tangetal shift to Kenya. We'll be there soon.
    Very keen to dhow over to Zanzibar.
    Just check the weather carefully before jumping on a dhow - it sounds very romantic, but can be a bit of a nightmare if the weather comes in. Been there, done that.
    Tony Weaver