all captiva drivers, review please

Default all captiva drivers, review please

Hi guys. Can all the Captiva drivers give some review on their experience with the Captiva.
    I am looking for info on the 2007-2010 models. 2.0 diesel ltz
    How is the real world fuel consumption?
    How good is the off road ability?
    What does the maintenance cost look like?
    Reliable issues?
    Spares availability?
    Any other details would be great..

Car would be used mainly as the "mommy car" and yearly holyday trips.
    Engineering Fact
    An opinion without 3.14 is just an onion.

2007 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Montana Supercab
    2015 Toyota Etios (SWAMBO)

Default Re: all captiva drivers, review please

A mate has one, and his could be just a lemon or he's been unlucky. But it's on it third engine now. Only 160k kms. He's not the happiest guy in the world. Overheated both times and seized. No idea what caused it.

Can't comment on the diesel version but as far as off road goes it can handle gravel roads well and a bit of bumps. I would not be taking a softroader on any hectic off road passes as it has sedan-like ground clearance. But given that it is going to be a mommies car I doubt that would happen with small kids.
    We bought the facelifted 2011 for the same reason, now 5 years later and older kids we have a TB and we selling our Captiva.
    The Captiva is a really comfortable car to drive in with huge space. Spares are readily available from agents. Safety is also good when little ones are on board.(you can't beat sheer weight in an accident)

Hi I have 2014 awd diesel. Im very happy with it, I get in town between 9.5 &10.5lt per 100. Ope. Road it drops to about 8.5 lt per 100.Off road is fine for gravel and light off roading as its clearance isnt great .
    Services are normally priced in my option for a diesel. Services are every 15k.
    Spares no issue.
    Reliability ive had no issues over the 90 000km ive had it.
    The 3rd row works like a bomb, it has ample space. Diesel engine is much better than the petrol in terms of all road performance.

Hope this helps
    Vaughan

Pajero SWB 3.8 V6 ( bat mobile )
    Chev Captiva 2.2 LTZ AWD ( Country Cruizer )

Quote Originally Posted by vaughanweedon View Post
    Hi I have 2014 awd diesel. Im very happy with it, I get in town between 9.5 &10.5lt per 100. Ope. Road it drops to about 8.5 lt per 100.Off road is fine for gravel and light off roading as its clearance isnt great .
    Services are normally priced in my option for a diesel. Services are every 15k.
    Spares no issue.
    Reliability ive had no issues over the 90 000km ive had it.
    The 3rd row works like a bomb, it has ample space. Diesel engine is much better than the petrol in terms of all road performance.

Hope this helps
    Thank you. Yes off road won't be a big priority but if I have to take the boat to the dam and their is some wet dirt road then I don't want to struggle. Also it looks very good. I told Swambo that if we like the Captiva the we will upgrade to TB in a few years. I never had a chev before.
    Engineering Fact
    An opinion without 3.14 is just an onion.

2007 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Montana Supercab
    2015 Toyota Etios (SWAMBO)

I know you specifically wanted to hear about the Diesel, but all I can comment on is the practicality of the car and the petrol engine...

The only gripe I had with mine was the heavy fuel consumption and lack of power of the petrol engine. Other than that, the space is great! The quality of the finishes are not as nice as in the facelift model, but not the worst I've seen either. The AWD is not bad, it can handle any dirt road and some, but don't go do any 4x4 trails or sand dunes. I can't remember but I don't think it has a diff-lock! The nicest thing about the first gen model is the back window that opens independently of the door. It doesn't look like the new ones can do that.
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
    2012 Opel Meriva 1.4T Cosmo (SWAMBO)

I have the 2015 2.4LT Auto, I bought it new. It's really good bang for you buck vehicle. We do long trips often in it and so far very happy with it, pulls well enough up hills and while over taking, so the diesel will be epic. Our next road trip is a 15 day round trip from Cape Town through the garden route and up to Kruger and back to the Cape. That's with 7 people and a trailer. Now that's going to be a workout for that engine! I've read a lot of engine related issues on the web when I was researching this vehicle before purchasing, so I'm wary of this and look out for the known issues. I've taken it off road a few times (Matroosberg 4x2 included) and the car performed well. Better than a sedan\station wagon would off road. The massive boot means we take everything we want on camping trips as well. And yes, I also like how it looks. Fuel consumption is about 10l/100km around town and on long distance it's about 8 or 9l/100km. So it's a thumbs up from me!

I have 2nd gen ltz awd diesel rear window that was standard. A mate has the petrol fwd and wants me to swop so he can put the boat in the jettiie and pull the trailer out with no issues. No diff lock just down hillcontrol and all the electronic aids.
    Vaughan

do you get a 4x4 version of the Captiva or are they just AWD?
    saw a few adverts for second hand Captiva that says '4x4' but i didnt know they come out in 4x4?

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 (JKU)
    EX: Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Laredo (WK)
    EX: Suzuki Jimny 2010
    EX: Disco1 3.8i V8
    EX: Mitsubishi Lancer
    EX: '91 Toyota Corralla

Current Upgrades: 2" lift kit, ARB Bullbar, stronger coils.

4x4AG:0316

They come in AWD but don't have low range, good ground clearance etc so aren't classed as 4x4

Somerset West near Cape Town South Africa

One of my neighbours has got the 2.4 petrol version, he's not too impressed with it, he said that its very under powered.
    2013 Chev Trailblazer 2.8 4x4 auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmj View Post
    One of my neighbours has got the 2.4 petrol version, he's not too impressed with it, he said that its very under powered.
    This is true for the 1st generation paired with the high fuel consumption, the only thing going for it is the space.
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
    2012 Opel Meriva 1.4T Cosmo (SWAMBO)

so an update on my car is that for the last month it has been at GM trying to figure out why the ECU is saying faulty injectors.

2 sets of new injectors and car wont start, now they are busy replacing the ECU unit and hold thumbs i get it back as on wed its five weeks of driving a chev spark around... not fun! all covered under warranty of the vehicel
    Vaughan