Advice Please for New Years Overland Trip

Default Advice Please for New Years Overland Trip

SWAMBO and I will be spending Christmas with her folks in Durbs this year. After Christmas over the New Years period we would like to do a week long overland trip in our Jimny. Question is where and what route. Input and advice is much appreciated.

Last year we drove through Lesotho, camping and stopping off in lodges along the way ending up back at home in Joburg.

This year we are looking to do something similar, but not in Lesotho... We will consider all options, but like to avoid crowds and large commercial campsites (i.e. Ponto do Ouro and the like). 4 hours of driving per day is about what we are looking for.

Advice and input is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Default Re: Advice Please for New Years Overland Trip

We went to Bhanga Nek and then dotted our way down the north coast (stayed at places were there is no crowds etc....), after that we went back inland to the Drakensberg. Swaziland might also be an option for you.
    Last edited by JJP; 2016/08/17 at 02:34 PM.

If I were you, I'd do a proper central and southern KZN trip with a little bit of Transkei thrown in. A rough guide for a week could look like this: Enjoy some craft beers at Nottingham Road, drive the Lotheni Road to Himeville, camp at Cobham or Garden Castle, look for Cape parrots and other rare forest fauna in the Marutswa Forest, hike in the Ingeli Forest, camp at Oribi Gorge and explore the beautiful gorge, look for samango monkeys and blue duiker at Umtamvuna Nature Reserve, camp at Mtentu Lodge in northern Transkei.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Jens78 this sounds pretty good. In my mind I was thinking either Southern KZN/Transkei or Swazi and Moz....

Quote Originally Posted by AfricaBen View Post
    Jens78 this sounds pretty good. In my mind I was thinking either Southern KZN/Transkei or Swazi and Moz....
    Either should be great, but southern KZN/Transkei has much more pleasant December weather than Moz and is malaria free.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D