Help. I bought a D3 v8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help. I bought a D3 v8

Hi all

I bought a 2007 D3 v8 (+-172 000km) about 5 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I sent it back to the dealer for performance and gearbox issues. The dealer sent it in to an Indie who said its a timing chain problem. The gearbox problem they cannot seem to identify it.

The dealer will repair the timing chain problem. However my concern is the reliability of this vehicle now. If the timing chain is replaced, what other issues could I have? The dealer has given the option to exchange for an alternate car or to cancel our deal. I need some advice should I look for an alternate vehicle or should I keep my D3? Can I expect something else to go wrong on the D3? I desperately want to stick with an LR.

thanks in advance

Default Re: Help. I bought a D3 v8

In all good faith.. If it was me..
    I would cancel and look for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbin View Post
    In all good faith.. If it was me..
    I would cancel and look for another one.
    Me too.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Finding and buying a good D3 is tricky. I would get out the deal fast. Rather speak to people like Landyworx and let them source or suggest a vehicle that is known to them. It may cost more initially but you will save on the long run.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucef87 View Post
    Hi all

I bought a 2007 D3 v8 (+-172 000km) about 5 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I sent it back to the dealer for performance and gearbox issues. The dealer sent it in to an Indie who said its a timing chain problem. The gearbox problem they cannot seem to identify it.

The dealer will repair the timing chain problem. However my concern is the reliability of this vehicle now. If the timing chain is replaced, what other issues could I have? The dealer has given the option to exchange for an alternate car or to cancel our deal. I need some advice should I look for an alternate vehicle or should I keep my D3? Can I expect something else to go wrong on the D3? I desperately want to stick with an LR.

thanks in advance
    If your heart is set on that specific vehicle, demand they take it to Land Rover themselves to diagnose, then you can make a decision.
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
    2012 Opel Meriva 1.4T Cosmo (SWAMBO)

Thanks guys. I suspected I should cancel.

Aquiva, they did take it to LR first. But LR didn't pick up that it was the timing chain.

I feel as bomb proof as these V8's are, I may have gotten a lemon.

If the offer is available to cancel then I would take it.
    Last edited by Byron; 2016/08/16 at 07:36 AM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

For interest sake what performance problems did you experience . For the gearbox it could just be something simple or major but what issues are you having, maybe some one here has had the same issues and may be able to help you fix the problem and your last comment that you would like to stick with LR sums it up. It's a great vehicle

some gearbox issues on this site

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic55986.html
    Last edited by ngweshla; 2016/08/16 at 08:04 AM.

Performance wise, the vehicle has poor acceleration and struggles uphill to maintain speed.

The gearbox, when sitting in traffic is very jerky. As if the clutch has failed in a manual car. There is also a vibration on the drive train when sitting at about 120km/h. The vibration goes away when you let go of the throttle. the dealer is reluctant to repair anything on the gearbox as the indie is not able to replicate the problems I have experienced on it.

Performance wise, the vehicle has poor acceleration and struggles uphill to maintain speed.

The gearbox, when sitting in traffic is very jerky. As if the clutch has failed in a manual car. There is also a vibration on the drive train when sitting at about 120km/h. The vibration goes away when you let go of the throttle. the dealer is reluctant to repair anything on the gearbox as the indie is not able to replicate the problems I have experienced on it.
    A good gearbox flush might help to smooth out the gearbox. As far as I understand these gearboxes need a flush every 100 000 km. I did mine on 120 000 and it is smoother. Take it to an indie who can do the Dr tranny & double flush treatment for you. Cost is about R6k.

The vibration at 120km/h might be due a drive shaft as well.

Poor acceleration and struggling to hold speed I don't know. Maybe some blocked sir / oil / fuel filters somewhere? What is the maintenance history of the vehicle?
    Current: Touareg V6 TDi
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - sold at 330 000 km.

Cancel the deal no doubt about it. You won't trust the vehicle and who knows what other issues are lurking so best to avoid the gray hair and rather find another one.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Take your money and run! Take your time to find a good one - they're out there.
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    MGB GT
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)

I try to be the person my dogs thought I was....

Yep, cancel everything! I'm sure you can get another one.
    2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
    2012 Opel Meriva 1.4T Cosmo (SWAMBO)

Thanks guys. I suspected I should cancel.

Aquiva, they did take it to LR first. But LR didn't pick up that it was the timing chain.

I feel as bomb proof as these V8's are, I may have gotten a lemon.
    Hi Bruce
    If it is the timing chain then it is very rare on the 4.4 V8 equally with such low mileage. I wouldn't walk away, I would run.
    That means that car has been thrashed and I mean thrashed to be in that state. We have just serviced a MY06 Disco 3 V8 which had 499550 kms on the clock only 450 kms to go to hit 500 000 and the car was impeccable, interior and exterior. Standing on the outside you would not know that the car has done such high mileage.

Don't despair there are a lot of 3 V8's out there in good nick you just have to find the right one that suits you.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

I would concur with the cancelling of the deal on that specific car, but would stick with the dealer. From your account, their approach was commendable, something not always so easy to find.

They seem prepared to accomodate you, so why not let them try and find you another one.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Hi Bruce
    If it is the timing chain then it is very rare on the 4.4 V8 equally with such low mileage. I wouldn't walk away, I would run.
    That means that car has been thrashed and I mean thrashed to be in that state. We have just serviced a MY06 Disco 3 V8 which had 499550 kms on the clock only 450 kms to go to hit 500 000 and the car was impeccable, interior and exterior. Standing on the outside you would not know that the car has done such high mileage.

Don't despair there are a lot of 3 V8's out there in good nick you just have to find the right one that suits you.
    This must be the V8 with the highest kilometers that I've heard of.

Thumbs up Re: Help. I bought a D3 v8

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I would concur with the cancelling of the deal on that specific car, but would stick with the dealer. From your account, their approach was commendable, something not always so easy to find.

They seem prepared to accomodate you, so why not let them try and find you another one.
    I agree 100% with Francois. Dealers like this are not on every corner of "Motortown".

i have a customer who bought my d3, his was in a smash and his was written off 495 on the clock, sold him mine 110 on the clock kept sambos one with 141 on the clock because it felt like a nicer one, so milage on the v8 is something i would not worry about, service history would be important.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Cancel the deal on the D3. I learned the hard way by not cancelling....

Hi all

thanks in advance
    run away

fast

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast