Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Botswana Trip Report July 2016

Thanks for your trip report Stefan

Is that tall guy Brian Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by casparks View Post
    Also did a July Trip

Using tracks 4 Africa as our navigation tool (Android App on HTC one M8 :

Never have I screamed at a device as much as I did when using T4A (i'm pretty sure the locals thought I was some crazed angry Alien species with my red face covered in swollen veins from each of my T4A tantrums), look we never really got lost but we were sent on all sorts of round about routes ending up at cattle pens in the deepest and thickest of bush as with all sorts of other weird and wonderful quirks.

- Always losing GPS signal ( I did a test using Google maps over a period of three days and not once did it drop GPS signal) sometimes taking 20 minutes to regain GPS lock... needed re-start of T4A sometimes to hurry the process up
    - There is absolutely no means of re-centering your position on the guidance view, I found my self driving off screen most of the time, then having to stop the vehicle, delete the route re-start T4A and re-entering route again (WTF!!!!!)
    - Try and search for Makgadikgadi national Park, it found Khama Rhino Sanctuary but not Makgadikgadi national Park
    - Is there not a better Navigation App or guidance system than T4A, I see these are the same issues experienced by users from the old version but nothing has been done to resolve them in the new version
    - The navigation view is also pretty rubbish... needs a serious update to rival or at least match other guidance platforms out there

So in short, if you have a heart condition or may be pre-disposed to a brain aneurysm then DO NOT use Tracks 4 Africa... it WILL kill you!!
    I would be the first to admit that the navigation app in its current form is far from perfect, but I have used it on iPhone/iPad in many trips over the last couple of years. I would say as a A to B navigation tool it works well.

The GPS location issue sounds like a device issue. On Android there are three settings for Location, High Accuracy, Power Saving and GPS only (if I look at my Samsung that is). If you use Power saving it does not rely on the GPS, only cell towers and Wifi and this is not available in most of the areas where you would need the navigation to work. If you could use Google Maps I would assume you had connectivity hence the location would be available. I would check these settings. The app itself simply relies on the device for a location feed.

The re-center issue is there. I have asked the suppliers to create a better experience and they did make some changes. Basically you can tap on the 2D/3D button, top right of the screen and this would toggle between a fixed position and allowing it to move freely. If you struggle with this then I would simply close the app and restart -yes I know this is not the way it should work and we need to enhance this.

I just checked the search for Makgadikgadi NP. I can find it if a search for Places (all categories). The default search is around your current location, so if I am in Cape Town and I type in the park name it does not find it, but if I tap on "Around Here" and choose "In a City" and set that to Botswana > Gweta then the result is there together with all points with the word makgadikgadi in it.

As for other navigation options, yes like many suggested there are the Garmin devices on which the T4A maps work very well. As one person noted, just make sure you have only one map set selected at a time else the GPS will not know which one to use.

There is also a guide app we have, but this is not a navigation app, it is a map with guide info and allows you to get a map view similar to a paper map. I have both active when I travel, the navigation app on a phone and the guide app on a tablet for a bigger screen. There are developments under way to introduce basic routing in the guide app but it will a long time before this is ready for production.

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Nice report Stefan. Maak my terug verlang. Wens ons kon julle res van trip gejoin het.....

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Thanks for your trip report Stefan

Is that tall guy Brian Hunter?
    Yes indeed I am married to his youngest.

2013 Toyota Landcruiser 79 DC 4.0 V6
    2013 Conqueror Compact II Camper
    .................................................. ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjfourie View Post
    Nice report Stefan. Maak my terug verlang. Wens ons kon julle res van trip gejoin het.....
    Ja nee verseker mar dit gee ons rede om weer te gaan......was great.

Quote Originally Posted by stfnpienaar View Post
    Yes indeed I am married to his youngest.

Noooit

Ken vir Duncan en Megan baie goed, laas jou vrou gesien op Duncan se troue.

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Noooit

Ken vir Duncan en Megan baie goed, laas jou vrou gesien op Duncan se troue.
    Haha o okay klein wereld. Ek sal hulle bietjie se

Thanks the report, must have been pretty cool to see elephant in the CKGR, not many people have, including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by opsafari View Post
    Never had a problem with T4A on my Garmin 62 or III+. Might be your device!

Sjoe ... that is weird , I have also never had a problem with my T4A , but then what do I know , I have also found the resilient Suzuki in the Richtersveld and they are just that good , as for the disappointment with the sanctuary , well different strokes for different folks , keep the environment clean and treat neighbours with respect
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Quote Originally Posted by kirkfort View Post
    Thanks the report, must have been pretty cool to see elephant in the CKGR, not many people have, including myself.
    Yes we were quite lucky but we have seen so many elephant traces tacks and dung all the way on the cutline from kang to Xade. They seem to be quite active in this area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2