Botswana Trip Report July 2016

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Botswana Trip Report July 2016

Herewith our trip report.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 Toyota Landcruiser 79 DC 4.0 V6
    2013 Conqueror Compact II Camper
    .................................................. ...

Default Re: Botswana Trip Report July 2016

Thanks for taking the time to write a trip report.
    Seems you had a fantastic time.

Pajero 3.2 GLS LWB
    Suzuki Samurai Coily
    Imagine Trailvan
    Sold Prado KZTE
    Sold 3 x Defenders

Also did a July Trip

Started at Khama Rhino Sanctuary based on post from this forum... NOT that great, it's ok but not as marvelous as certain people made it out to be. There are much better places to go to which we only found out once there.

Our Trip: Done in a Suzuki Jimny (yes a Jimny) we had been laughed at and told it was not possible (My father was the guy laughing even offering us his Land Rover... my reply to the Land Rover was "I don't have room for the team of mechanics needed to keep the Landy on the Road" , well now it's us who can laugh... not once did we get stuck, it glided through the sand as if it were no effort at all. At no point did we even feel like the little machine was struggling off road. We came across larger vehicles that had been bogged down, so to all you Jimny owners thinking it's impossible you should fear not as that little beast that resembles a shoe box on wheels is more than capable even more so than the larger vehicles are.

Using tracks 4 Africa as our navigation tool (Android App on HTC one M8 :

Never have I screamed at a device as much as I did when using T4A (i'm pretty sure the locals thought I was some crazed angry Alien species with my red face covered in swollen veins from each of my T4A tantrums), look we never really got lost but we were sent on all sorts of round about routes ending up at cattle pens in the deepest and thickest of bush as with all sorts of other weird and wonderful quirks.

- Always losing GPS signal ( I did a test using Google maps over a period of three days and not once did it drop GPS signal) sometimes taking 20 minutes to regain GPS lock... needed re-start of T4A sometimes to hurry the process up
    - There is absolutely no means of re-centering your position on the guidance view, I found my self driving off screen most of the time, then having to stop the vehicle, delete the route re-start T4A and re-entering route again (WTF!!!!!)
    - Try and search for Makgadikgadi national Park, it found Khama Rhino Sanctuary but not Makgadikgadi national Park
    - Is there not a better Navigation App or guidance system than T4A, I see these are the same issues experienced by users from the old version but nothing has been done to resolve them in the new version
    - The navigation view is also pretty rubbish... needs a serious update to rival or at least match other guidance platforms out there

So in short, if you have a heart condition or may be pre-disposed to a brain aneurysm then DO NOT use Tracks 4 Africa... it WILL kill you!!

Things to consider if you are to attempt the trip in a Jimny though ( because the little thing is so small it tends to not handle corrugation on the gravel roads as well as the larger vehicles, so let those tyres down and drive at a steady pace... it's not a race)

- Lift kit (I would recommend this as already you are driving in tracks made by larger vehicles, that extra height does help with the middle mannetjie)
    - Shocks (NB! NB! NB!, DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH ORIGINAL JIMNY SHOCKS, we had Amada Extremes fitted and the difference is phenomenal there is no comparison, also helps with handling if your roof rack is loaded)
    - Slightly larger than normal All terrain tyres (Khumo Venture) I don't think the larger size is all that important if you have a lift kit but make sure you have a good AT tyre fitted

Start: Khama Rhino Sanctuary

- Kubu Island
    - Nxai Pan (please not that the petrol station at Gweta has been shut down, closest petrol from there was Nata or Maun, we had to back track to Nata then drive back to Gweta to move onto Nata)
    - Makgadikgadi national Park over the Road from Nxai Pan (a much better experience than Nxai Pan and a fantastic park)
    - Dijara (Fantastic... it's wild and very basic but Andre the owner was super friendly and the game literally came to us)
    - Savuti (was nice but not like it was when I first visited, seems to be over run by tour operators and their game drive vehicles... the behaviour of some of them is pretty shameful, also their is a industrial sized generator that kicks in during the early hours of the morning taking away that old and wild feeling one used to experience in the good old days)
    - Muchenje (not in the wild but fantastic none the less, Bronwyn was super helpful and friendly... we just did day trips into Chobe, Kasane and a day trip to Vic falls)
    - Nata (Awesome... used to frequent there a lot when my parents lived there and it still seems to have the good old Nata charm)
    - Back to Khama (the staff there seem to be confused and not as willing to help as the other places we visited, I think there are much better places around)
    - Back to Joburg

Thanks to Tara (Botswana Footprints for organising everything... was a fantastic trip)
    Last edited by casparks; 2016/08/10 at 01:39 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to casparks For This Useful Post:

Thanks stfnpienaar ,you sure had some wonderful animal sightings.

Never had a problem with T4A on my Garmin 62 or III+. Might be your device!

Seems like a fantastic trip with awesome sightings. Thanks for the info.

As per other post regarding T4A, I agree that this seems to be a device problem and little to do with T4A.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AMacAfrica For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the report. Looks like you had a fantastic time. We are heading to Mabua on Sunday. Cannot wait. We will be three guys, unfortunately the fourth guy had a medical emergency in the family and has pulled out. He will be missed as we were relying on him to keep us in stitches with his jokes, now its real stitches. Hopefully we will have plenty of photos to post.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Thank you for your trip report. I love your pictures especially the cheetah cubs!

Hi Stefan, great trip and report, but this habit (a trip every 6 months) that you both have now picked up has to stop! How do you compare the CKGR in July/Aug to Dec as you have been to both. Also, do you not think that Mabua and the Kgalagadi needed a slower approach and more time. It is still great just getting out there and all the new experiences.

Hi Stephan,

Great sightings and excellent report.
    You really were lucky to see the selection of predators in so many spots.

Thanks for sharing.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

"Khama Rhino Sanctuary NOT that great, it's ok but not as marvellous as certain people made it out to be. There are much better places to go to which we only found out once there."

Where would you recommend staying instead?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Good question Paul and I would also like to know.
    We like Khama and there are very few negative reports. All campsites have some pros and cons.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by stfnpienaar View Post
    Herewith our trip report.
    Thanks for the report and photos ; we also did the trails from nossob to mabua (boso) and mabua to nossob (wilderness); and ckgr passarge 2 ; incredible at matswere gate the water was not working ! same happened to us 2 yrs ago with the toilets in a state of a pig stay ; bots parks are very poor and stupid with their service and the attitude is worse ; they think the world owes them gold ! bad attitude or rather stupid attitude eg from martins drift passport control to the camps ;and i say so with experience accumulated over previous trips to nxai , moremi , savuti and chobe over the years .... ;

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Hi Stefan, great trip and report, but this habit (a trip every 6 months) that you both have now picked up has to stop! How do you compare the CKGR in July/Aug to Dec as you have been to both. Also, do you not think that Mabua and the Kgalagadi needed a slower approach and more time. It is still great just getting out there and all the new experiences.
    Haha thanks and yes it became a habbit since we are back i can not help myslef from booking the next one. Bots is my addiction. Already booked for CKGR again June 2017 but this time going to the Prime Spots close to waterholes.

CKGR we took a change last december in the rainy season and we were lucky with no rain while in the park as I think by looking at the raod conditions thinkgs can get bad in there in rainy season. Other than that I would not mind in going there in summer times. The park has limited campsites and I would recon that the amount of traffic in the park is the same during both times of the year. I would prefer the dry months as the change of getting stuck is eliminated and more animals can be seen closer to waterholes.

Look if I could stay any longer in any park why not? But a man has to work also sometimes and time is limited and want to see as much as possible in the short period. I think our 3 nights at Mabua was good but would have like to stay maybe another night or 2 at Nossob as we did not see much in Nossob area.

In my personal opinion and from where I am (Ellisras) I would just go to Mabua on the next trip and cut out the SA side. I just like the KAA northern section and CKGR more than Kgalagadi and can not realy say why but its just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by stfnpienaar; 2016/08/13 at 10:27 AM.

Hello stfnpienaar - thanks for interesting report and some lovely sightings you had.
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

We also just returned from a great trip and we also relied on T4A app on the iPhone. I admit on the whole it was good, but also had a few problems to begin with that I eventually got used to.
    The re-centering issue was really irritating!! If you tap the screen while navigating, it stops following your vehicle and the maps stays still as you drive off the edge. I found the best way to fix this was to close the app and relaunch, at least it remembers the last route you were using.
    2007 Discovery 3 V8
    Beatrice: 1973 SWB Series III Land Rover
    Betty: 1979 Mini
    Renault Megane F1 R26 (Sold)

My Garmin with T4A worked perfectly fine and found all places and roads.

Mine gets confused when street maps is also on so when I hit the gravel road i turn off all other maps loaded and use only T4A then it works like a bom....

Thank you its a great trip report.Nice pictures.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4

Stfnpienaar thanks for the excellent report!

I can see it was a great trip!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I think casparks was using the T4A app on his phone.

T4A is fine on a GPS - the Android/Apple app - which is fairly new - from what I have read needs further work.

I would recommend sticking to a Garmin GPS rather than phones - tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by stfnpienaar View Post
    My Garmin with T4A worked perfectly fine and found all places and roads.

Mine gets confused when street maps is also on so when I hit the gravel road i turn off all other maps loaded and use only T4A then it works like a bom....
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2016/08/16 at 10:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast