Thread: Clutch issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Clutch issues

Hi,

I have just bought a Defender 90 and drove it up from Cape Town.

It is in great condition, really nicely looked after and even upgraded in most parts. The vehicle was driving perfectly when we left CT but the more we drove the more I was struggling to change gears and the clutch seem to take on the floor of the car (had to push harder than normal to even get it in a gear).

When we got back to Jo'burg it got slightly better but now it has been getting consistently worse again. I have researched it a bit but still dont know what to do. The clutch fluid reservoir seems to be full enough and have thought of checking the clutch cable (if I could only find a diagram for the engine layout, but haven't yet).

I would appreciate any help on this topic, and also would like to find out about a place where I could take my car to be looked at and serviced when needed - I have heard of a place called "Landyworx"?

Look forward to hearing from you guys,
    Thanks!
    Ed

Default Re: Clutch issues

Whereabouts in Jhb are you, as there's a few reputable independent workshops around. It's a hydraulic clutch, and issues occur with the master and slave cylinders. Sounds like you have master cylinder issue
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Thanks so much for your reply. I stay in Illovo.
    Do you have an idea of how long it will take and how much it will be to replace the master cylinder?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edblignaut View Post
    Do you have an idea of how long it will take and how much it will be to replace the master cylinder?

Thanks.
    Ed a word of caution the clutch fork in the Landy's are their weak point .The metal is thin and then the ball pushes through the pivot ball .Everybody that drives a Landy knows about "THAT" mod .

I would guess Landyworx in Strijdom Park would be closest. Phone them, describe the symptoms and they'll be able to give you an idea and estimate. Welcome to Lan Rovers!
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

I have contacted Lanyworx in Strydom Park and have made a booking for tomorrow but my clutch is quite useless at the moment, I cant even get it into gear. Not being able to move the vehicle, have any of you ever had to call in a mechanic? Would that be an affordable solution or should I rather think of towing it to Landyworx?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    I would guess Landyworx in Strijdom Park would be closest. Phone them, describe the symptoms and they'll be able to give you an idea and estimate. Welcome to Lan Rovers!
    I have contacted Lanyworx in Strydom Park and have made a booking for tomorrow but my clutch is quite useless at the moment, I cant even get it into gear. Not being able to move the vehicle, have any of you ever had to call in a mechanic? Would that be an affordable solution or should I rather think of towing it to Landyworx?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    Whereabouts in Jhb are you, as there's a few reputable independent workshops around. It's a hydraulic clutch, and issues occur with the master and slave cylinders. Sounds like you have master cylinder issue

Thanks.