Travel tips for Botswana trip

Default Travel tips for Botswana trip

I am travelling from JHB to Chobe via Kasane and then on to Hwange national park in Zim and would appreciate any travel tips from other members who have travelled this route. We are travelling alone (4 x adults) in a 2008 Prado 120 with an Echo 3 trailer. The vehicle has a raised suspension and snorkel, the rest is standard Prado VX petrol. I haven't invested in a winch, highlift jack, rock sliders, sand sliders or deep cycle battery system. Which, if any, of these items are required? Would it be wise to rent a Satelite phone, just in case of an emergency? Looking forward to hearing from experienced 4x4ers😊😎

Default Re: Travel tips for Botswana trip

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese View Post
    I haven't invested in a winch, highlift jack, rock sliders, sand sliders or deep cycle battery system. Which, if any, of these items are required?
    None of the vehicle modifications are needed at all. My only question is where are you going to keep your meat and drinks frozen/cold? A 12V vehicle deep freeze/fridge combo would be handy and for this you will need a professionally installed auxilliary deep cycle battery system. This is not cheap and can be fitted to the trailer if not already present. Some just use top quality cooler boxes and blocks of ice, vacuum packing the meat.

Would it be wise to rent a Satelite phone, just in case of an emergency?
    These roads are well traveled and a sat phone is not needed.

Looking forward to hearing from experienced 4x4ers😊😎
    Where are you camping in Chobe? Near Kasane itself or in the park at Ihaha?
    Are you entering Zim/Hwange at Pandamatenga? If not consider it. The aasa website has all the info needed as regards the vehicle regulations in Zim.
    Are you staying in the main camps or have you booked some of the picnic sites in Hwange? A search on this forum will provide plenty of info on the popular sites. The picnic sites are not cheap but are great.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.