Which snatch rope? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Which snatch rope?

Thank you.

So if it looks dodgy rather not use it.

That explains why my old tow strap that had many years of use, was faded and used in the rain, just gave up one day moving a tree out the road.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greeen LLS / CCBW View Post
    Polyamide webbing (depending on the construction, weave pattern and finish) elongates naturally between 20/25% when dry and 25/30% when wet. While polyamide rope (depending on the construction, twist and finish) naturally elongates between 25/30% when dry and 30/40% when wet. The additional elongation of rope is due in principle to the hollow core (of the SECURETECH option) versus the triple layer weave pattern of the webbing (SECURETECH option). It is important to understand that these percentages are measured at the systems break strength, while in application we only achieve about a 1/4 or 1/3 of these percentages depending on the speed, distance, length of the system, masses of the vehicles etc etc. More importantly there is the same decrease in break strength (by the same ratios indicated above) due to the fact that polyamide absorbs moisture to create a molecular change in the raw material.

I hope that this explanation clears up a few questions. And, I sincerely hope that my reply is not to aggressive for some, or many, and if it did tough sh1t.

Happy travelling

M K G
    Sorry, but I am a bit dof.

The reduction in breaking strength you mention above: is that when wet, or due to some other factor?

Also, please can you explain what, if any, advantage a sleeve around a snatch rope has? Does it keep sand out of the fibers, thus reducing damage due to abrasion? Are there other advantages too?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/02/12 at 05:39 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greeen LLS / CCBW View Post
    Polyamide webbing (depending on the construction, weave pattern and finish) elongates naturally between 20/25% when dry and 25/30% when wet. While polyamide rope (depending on the construction, twist and finish) naturally elongates between 25/30% when dry and 30/40% when wet. The additional elongation of rope is due in principle to the hollow core (of the SECURETECH option) versus the triple layer weave pattern of the webbing (SECURETECH option). It is important to understand that these percentages are measured at the systems break strength, while in application we only achieve about a 1/4 or 1/3 of these percentages depending on the speed, distance, length of the system, masses of the vehicles etc etc. More importantly there is the same decrease in break strength (by the same ratios indicated above) due to the fact that polyamide absorbs moisture to create a molecular change in the raw material.

I hope that this explanation clears up a few questions. And, I sincerely hope that my reply is not to aggressive for some, or many, and if it did tough sh1t.

Happy travelling

M K G
    Thanks Michael interesting post. I am slowly picking up the ropes
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Interesting thread.

Securetec once demonstrated their products and recovery techniques just outside Windhoek to the local Land Rover club.

Fascinating day and the presenters really knew their stuff.

Suppose they could do it for other clubs as well - well worth attending.

Watch these big guys helping each other on the famous Fraser Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Sc...klwjTA&index=3

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    Interesting thread.

Securetec once demonstrated their products and recovery techniques just outside Windhoek to the local Land Rover club.

Fascinating day and the presenters really knew their stuff.

Suppose they could do it for other clubs as well - well worth attending.

Watch these big guys helping each other on the famous Fraser Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Sc...klwjTA&index=3
    I was one of the presenters and twas indeed and interesting 2 days (with 2 different groups)

Hound Simon @ Bushwhakers to arrange another
    Nissan Patrol (2014)
    Suzuki Grand Vitara (2011)
    SECURETECH 4x4 Recovery Kit Bag
    SECURETECH Snow Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Sorry, but I am a bit dof.

The reduction in breaking strength you mention above: is that when wet, or due to some other factor?

Also, please can you explain what, if any, advantage a sleeve around a snatch rope has? Does it keep sand out of the fibers, thus reducing damage due to abrasion? Are there other advantages too?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
    (1)Polyamide changes properties when wet
    - when wet there is a remarkable reduction in strength
    - when were it has a higher elongation

(2) I would suggest that you ask your supplier why they put a cover over the rope. SECURETECH ropes have never and will never be covered with a loose sleeve for a number of different reasons
    Last edited by Michael Greeen LLS / CCBW; 2020/02/13 at 10:56 AM.
    Nissan Patrol (2014)
    Suzuki Grand Vitara (2011)
    SECURETECH 4x4 Recovery Kit Bag
    SECURETECH Snow Chains

Thank you Michael

My rope is a Securetech, so no sleeve, and I was just wondering whether there would be an advantage to having a sleeve fitted.

I would love to understand what the disadvantages are, if you have the time and the inclination?

Either way, i will not persue the matter further.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Somewhat off-topic, but I have a SecureTec recovery strap purchased from ODW several years ago that has need for repair after some overly vigorous recoveries in a wet & muddy Maasai Mara recently.

Essentially all that’s needed is to cut off one end and stitch a new loop.

Any advice on how I should go about this? Should I try to return it to SecureTec or ODW or would it be fine to take it to anyone with industrial stitching equipment and simply have a new loop stitched?

Any advice gratefully received.
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Watched this video yesterday and I remembered that Securetech (spelling?),has an unlimited life, if used correctly if I understand correctly.

Here they compare a snatch rope to a ARB snatch strap and the guy said that the ARB straps are only good for 10 snatches.

That's not very good. Then a Securetech strap is a good investment.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Just from personal lack of experience 2 cents, I have odds and ends for recoveries and I decided to add a snatch rope to the kit....it wasn't long before I got cold feet on that and stuck it in a cupboard. Definitely for the legit 4x4 manne.

I'd also rather dig and winch.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

I bought a Securetech kit, a bag with a snatch and a conventional strap and other bits such as a harness, shackles etc., many years ago. I‘ve used both straps many times - mainly helping others.

Besides some dirt and scuff marks the snatch strap works just as well now (as far as I can tell) as it did when new.
    The kit goes with us on every trip we do - comforting to have.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Watched this video yesterday and I remembered that Securetech (spelling?),has an unlimited life, if used correctly if I understand correctly.

Here they compare a snatch rope to a ARB snatch strap and the guy said that the ARB straps are only good for 10 snatches.

That's not very good. Then a Securetech strap is a good investment.
    I am an absolute fan of Matt's Recovery channel and have watched countless of his videos. The Yankum ropes he uses is in a totally different class to anything else I've seen so far.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4