Hilux/Fortuner GD series problems... - Page 4

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Re: Hilux/Fortuner GD series problems...

Golden vehicle rule no.#1 Don't ever buy a new model when it gets released, unless you want to spend hours fighting/complaining. I did that once with a new BMW and will not in my life waste my precious time at a dealership fighting for things that should have been correct. Life is short - think twice !!!

Default Re: Hilux/Fortuner GD series problems...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    Golden vehicle rule no.#1 Don't ever buy a new model when it gets released, unless you want to spend hours fighting/complaining. I did that once with a new BMW and will not in my life waste my precious time at a dealership fighting for things that should have been correct. Life is short - think twice !!!
    You need to change your "Golden vehicle rule no.#1" to Don't buy a BMW

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    Guess you hav'nt been to the northern cape?
    I've been to the Northern Cape.
    I spent a week there one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I've been to the Northern Cape.
    I spent a week there one day...
    Yeah, but it was'nt in your toyota. You must've been to scared of the rattles afterwards?
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

The only thing that lasts & lasts in the Northern Cape is the ANC...

Hi everyone. I recently got the 2.8 DC 4x4 manual. Now on 1800 km odd. Small minor problem : the vehicle sucks dust into the cabin on gravel roads. This is apparently caused by back door rubbers not sealing properly. According to the dealer there is a bulletin out on this, and they offered to change/replace the door rubbers asap.

So far this seems to be the only teething problem. Except for this small issue (already sorted), and less than expected fuel efficiency (PWR MODE), I am happy so far !

Repeat problems:

1. Dash Rattles.
    2. Dust ingress
    Last edited by Mad Manny; 2016/08/15 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Dust in Hilux and Fortuner

Dust in DC....

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Now just imagine picking up rattles on the way to the Mall................................Northern Cape dirt roads will kill them
    There's a story(heard it from a few people) going around Durban that when Toyota did their extensive(read hammer the crap out of them on bad roads!!) comparative testing of the New Hilux vs the rest of the bakkies at their test track in Eston, the one bakkie had its eyes pop out.........and bits fell off!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    There's a story(heard it from a few people) going around Durban that when Toyota did their extensive(read hammer the crap out of them on bad roads!!) comparative testing of the New Hilux vs the rest of the bakkies at their test track in Eston, the one bakkie had its eyes pop out.........and bits fell off!!
    Eish, you were not supposed to go there. I don't know which bakkie that was, but rumour has is that if you want a new bakkie and it has to be German, then rather just wait for the Mercedes Datsun.

I just put a Fortuner 2.8G6 4x4 automatic to the test Namibia and Botswana. Around 7,500km in 4 weeks, not a single problem except for a bit of dust. Considering all the gravel roads and deep sand tracks I find that quite acceptable.

A minor design flaw is the glove compartiment. When you open it there is a space between the dashboard and the glove box. It is quite easy to drop documents, maps, etc in that space rather than in the glove box, but not quite as easy to retrieve them

Other than that, no issues worth mentioning.

Ok, I have a problem which is right up Mad Manny's street. Insurance.

I believe I have been quoted a decent rate (R1 600 pm) through my broker but provided I fit an approved tracking system. Otherwise it is a 10% vehicle excess (usually R2 500) and only for a grace period. No way will they consider any option or even extending the grace period, claiming that the Fortuner is "high risk vehicle". This tracking requirement doesn't apply to a Disco 4 or Subaru say. My experience with these units has been patchy - battery drain and coming loose so I was/am not too keen and don't believe they really stop theft. But it is a "belief", not proof. I plan to add a few anti-theft tweaks anyway.

The tracking system adds about R200 per month to the costs. Comments?

Hearing the same stories up there??................rumour also has it that one bakkie also had suspension/shock issues a couple of times(read broken!!) and a certain Japanese bakkie did very well!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Ok, I have a problem which is right up Mad Manny's street. Insurance.

I believe I have been quoted a decent rate (R1 600 pm) through my broker but provided I fit an approved tracking system. Otherwise it is a 10% vehicle excess (usually R2 500) and only for a grace period. No way will they consider any option or even extending the grace period, claiming that the Fortuner is "high risk vehicle". This tracking requirement doesn't apply to a Disco 4 or Subaru say. My experience with these units has been patchy - battery drain and coming loose so I was/am not too keen and don't believe they really stop theft. But it is a "belief", not proof. I plan to add a few anti-theft tweaks anyway.

The tracking system adds about R200 per month to the costs. Comments?
    Also had to fit tracking device - ~R817/m premium.

I am not a fan of tracking devices and more specifically the installers thereof. My insurers also insisted on a tracking device for the new Hilux, but were satisfied with a Bidtrack product called the Nimble which is wireless. It is a basic call in tracking system, but if you see tracking devices as nothing other than a means of satisfying your insurer, it is a good solution. No "qualified installer" hacking into your vehicles wiring and only R99/month.http://www.bidtrack.co.za/nimbl

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    I am not a fan of tracking devices and more specifically the installers thereof. My insurers also insisted on a tracking device for the new Hilux, but were satisfied with a Bidtrack product called the Nimble which is wireless. It is a basic call in tracking system, but if you see tracking devices as nothing other than a means of satisfying your insurer, it is a good solution. No "qualified installer" hacking into your vehicles wiring and only R99/month.http://www.bidtrack.co.za/nimbl
    The same as Tracetec as well yes. I say get another insurer, the price seems high as well. Depending on your profile of course.

There is a thread on the insurance, real feedback.
    Last edited by JacoE; 2016/08/17 at 04:41 PM.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

So I just took my fortuner 2.8 GD 6 auto 4x4 for a 1000Km oil change, yes Im a bit pedantic.

I had a list of things for them to check that was either my own "discoveries" and some just issues picked up on this forum and others.

I raised the rattle behind the dash, and they could not hear anything, and did not want to take the whole dash apart. Given this is intermittent, nothing I could do, and has been silent driving back from the dealer. So if anyone else have this issue and the dealer managed to fix it, please let us know what it is so we can help the dealers, instead of them just taking everything appart.

Gearbox, I printed out all the info from the various forums, and the thread from the Philippines regarding the 6 speed auto gearbox issues, and the software update that Toyota released there. They basically said that the gearbox performance is normal, and that locally there are no updates available, and they do not "reset" the ECU, but they will keep me updated. Im a bit dissapointed about this, but nothing I can do

Engine mounts - Fine

Body Mounts - Fine

Alarm - fine, checked door and bonnet switches

Handbrake - they adjusted, but still feels like I have to pull it up quite high to engage properly

Driver side mirror vibration driving at highway speed- slightly tighten it

Recover point has been removed by the dealer I bought the car from to fit the tow hitch - they didnt have any to fit, but I have the towhictch with the rearstep, and there is space to tie a rope to use for recovery if necessary. ( Not the actual ball of the towhitch )

Nothing else to report

I have done 20000km with my Extra cab 2.8 now. only one problem.

after long drives the gearbox gets very stiff, especially when changing down from 6-5 and 5-4. (have not read the whole thread to see if it was mentioned already)

I mentioned it to my dealer and not long after that there was a bulletin that there is an issue with oil flow in the gearbox and they need to replace a certain part. (nothing major though, will take them about an hour to replace).

just spoken to the dealer and he mentioned that his Fortuner 2.4 did the same.

Anybody had the same issue on the manual gearboxes?
    Last edited by DLP; 2016/08/22 at 10:01 AM.

First new Gen GD6 on training and it will not start without depressing the clutch, even in Low Range. So, doing the stall start technique, one cannot recover the vehicle without depressing the clutch to start the vehicle...

Anyone found a way around this?

V6 just had its 10000km service.
    1) about 1-1.5 km/lt more heavy on fuel than the Vigo. According to dealer all within spec - this to me is serious because I drive my vehicles for long time
    2) left front seat rattle on gravel
    3) driver seat "stamp deur" through bumps (i know i am overweight but not that much hahaha)
    3)much less throttle responsethan Vigo. had to install a pedal booster (race chip) to get in +/- on par with Vigo
    4) 6speed outo "jumps" more in town driving than old 5-speed
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast