The Pajero is dead, says Mitsubishi CEO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Pajero is dead, says Mitsubishi CEO

Not sure if this has been discussed here before (if so, please just ignore), but came across it while browsing.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...itsubishi-ceo/

Mitsubishi East Rand confirmed that they have no news on any "new" Pajero, and that they expect just minor "tweaks" (if any) to the current, recently face-lifted range. Not even a further "face lift" is expected.

It seems as though the days of traditional, big, heavy "real" 4x4's may be coming to end. No doubt, in part, due to emissions requirements and environmental laws. Those big, heavy vehicles generally need big engines, which are now out of favour. Maybe one day when battery technology can practically match the fuel range of a large tank, we'll see the ultimate "real" 4x4 with a powerful and torquey motor on each wheel. Quiet, instant torque, ultimate all-wheel control and almost zero maintenance. I think I might quite like this (very distant) future...

Default Re: The Pajero is dead, says Mitsubishi CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dalet View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed here before (if so, please just ignore), but came across it while browsing.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...itsubishi-ceo/

Mitsubishi East Rand confirmed that they have no news on any "new" Pajero, and that they expect just minor "tweaks" (if any) to the current, recently face-lifted range. Not even a further "face lift" is expected.

It seems as though the days of traditional, big, heavy "real" 4x4's may be coming to end. No doubt, in part, due to emissions requirements and environmental laws. Those big, heavy vehicles generally need big engines, which are now out of favour. Maybe one day when battery technology can practically match the fuel range of a large tank, we'll see the ultimate "real" 4x4 with a powerful and torquey motor on each wheel. Quiet, instant torque, ultimate all-wheel control and almost zero maintenance. I think I might quite like this (very distant) future...
    This was posted a while back yes. Seems they are going to focus on the Pajero sport and smaller SUV's for emissions reasons.
    2004 Pajero LWB 3.8 - My toy
    1998 Pajero SWB 3.0 - SWAMBO's toy

FJ45 with fibreglass body and 3CT motor - being built

I heard the Pajero Sport is a very capable 4x4, probably why they are looking at discontinuing the Pajero.

Colt V6 DC 4x4

There was another post not so long ago that Mitsubishi has changed their minds and there may well be a Gen5 version.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    There was another post not so long ago that Mitsubishi has changed their minds and there may well be a Gen5 version.
    I asked them about that - said it was just "urban legend" and "wishful thinking". At the last (recent) Mitsubishi Japan update they were told there are no plans for a new Pajero, and as said above, the focus will be on the Sport, more cross-overs and economical small cars. This is where the bulk sales are.

I heard from my aunty's uncle's dog's brother's daughter that they will skip Gen5 and make a Gen6
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    I heard from my aunty's uncle's dog's brother's daughter that they will skip Gen5 and make a Gen6

I heard they will build FIAT 4x4's with the excess parts

Gen5 will be a hybrid if anything.But i think the sport is gonna be a good vehicle

I asked them about that - said it was just "urban legend" and "wishful thinking". At the last (recent) Mitsubishi Japan update they were told there are no plans for a new Pajero, and as said above, the focus will be on the Sport, more cross-overs and economical small cars. This is where the bulk sales are.
    If they place their hope on the Mirage, they better pen a blerrie decent Gen 5 in the near future or see their bottoms!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Default The Pajero is dead, says Mitsubishi CEO

I think I've purchased one of the last line of decent 4x4's .
    No intention of trading it in within the next 18 years anyway.
    My kids can fight over it when I'm gone.
    But Mitsubishi must really get their act together.
    Last edited by REAList; 2016/07/28 at 01:27 PM.

If they can take the pajero SWB & fit it with a 1.6 eco-boost petrol engine it will sell like hot cakes
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    If they can take the pajero SWB & fit it with a 1.6 eco-boost petrol engine it will sell like hot cakes
    I tried selling hot cakes at the church fete.

Lost a heap of cash.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

It seems as though the days of traditional, big, heavy "real" 4x4's may be coming to end. No doubt, in part, due to emissions requirements and environmental laws. Those big, heavy vehicles generally need big engines, which are now out of favour. ...
    Any vehicle company CEO that believes that real 4x4s are dead hasn't had a look at the Wranglers sales success. There's a market, especially in the US.

But it's true that emissions requirements (C.A.F.E.) are a hurdle. But the Japs have never been innovators & currently have no next-generation-real-4x4 to copy yet.

The article pretty much concedes that they are behind.

They'll have to wait for the new Wrangler & Defender before copying the technological emissions solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Any vehicle company CEO that believes that real 4x4s are dead hasn't had a look at the Wranglers sales success. There's a market, especially in the US.

But it's true that emissions requirements (C.A.F.E.) are a hurdle. But the Japs have never been innovators & currently have no next-generation-real-4x4 to copy yet.

The article pretty much concedes that they are behind.

They'll have to wait for the new Wrangler & Defender before copying the technological emissions solutions.
    Let me give an example.

You still get Dot Matrix printers. You know what they are, the ones that go Zzzztzzzt, backwards and forwards across the carriage as they print a low quality document and a carbon copy.

Nobody in their right mind would by one for printing reports an photographs and school assignments and general home/office use.

The real 4x4 with SFA is the motoring equivalent of a dot matrix printer. Nobody in their right mind would or should, or in the new future will, buy one unless they own a mine, do extreme 4x4ing or need to mount a 50 browning to fight a civil war.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2016/07/28 at 02:58 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The real 4x4 with SFA is the motoring equivalent of a dot matrix printer. Nobody in their right mind would or should, or in the new future will, buy one unless they own a mine, do extreme 4x4ing or need to mount a 50 browning to fight a civil war.
    What if you just want to be able to safely drive up/down Sani Pass in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Nobody in their right mind would or should, or in the new future will, buy one unless they own a mine, do extreme 4x4ing.
    That's the market though. Some manufacturers have identified it & others have completely lost the plot.

What if you just want to be able to safely drive up/down Sani Pass in the rain?
    You can do that in a RAV4
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    You can do that in a RAV4
    Or a Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    I think Mitsubishi missed the boat years back by not coming up with new models of the Pajero iO which had a 1.8l engine. Suziki came in with the Jimny and took the compact SUV market.
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Once tarred you`ll be able to go up there in a sedan, it will no longer be a challenge/adventure.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast