Xakanaxa to savuti to Ihaha with trailer - best route advice

Post Xakanaxa to savuti to Ihaha with trailer - best route advice

I really enjoy this forum have been digging through all the bots threads. This is our 2nd trip to bots but first into moremi.

we driving a TD5 defender with conqueror trailer in tow with 3 boys 10, 8 and 6 and wife of course! - I am keen to avoid river crossings with the trailer if possible play safe to camp then be more adventurous!

from what I have seen with tracks 4 Africa and benefit of this forum best routes with trailer are:
    to Xakanaxa - at moremi south gate take right split and go past airstrip ( looks more direct and no major water crossings compared to tracks 4 Africa default which went via third bridge etc)

from xakanaxa to savuti - a friend recommended I go back to south gate and then up to mababe gate and then take the sand ridge road tracks 4 Africa says this will take 8h30 for 216km! this looks safe from river crossings though

Or what looks like a much more scenic route is to go via Kwai community there is a river crossing at Kwai community camp is there a bridge here? and then past the kings airstrip to the transit road however this route has several warnings for flooded areas and river crossings? My main question is can you do this easily with a trailer and is it faster than the route above?

from mababe there seems to be a consensus that with a trailer the better road is the sand ridge road despite the thick sand even though it is busier as the ele mud footprint "rocks" are a mission with a trailer!

Really would appreciate advice from anyone who has been recently and has a good sense of the water levels etc!

Default Re: Xakanaxa to savuti to Ihaha with trailer - best route advice

Hi, it would help a lot to know when you are going
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Hi, it would help a lot to know when you are going
    +1

apart from the obvious = time= as situation changes throughout the year I would suggest to use the Xakanaxa - North Gate - Khwal -Mababe route.
    Unless you have time for sight seeing, make use of the bypass route which should be the easiest to navigate, despite the corrugations and damages over time.
    From Mababe gate, despite the elephant mud tracks on the marsh road I would still make use (not in the raining season) before venturing into the deep sand of Sand ridge tracks.
    As you are towing you can take it slow on the damaged roads to safe the equipment whereas in the Sand ridge road you will get stuck and might damage your gear trying to use momentum to pull through.

But as said, it depends on WHEN you plan your trip.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Thank you! we will be heading into moremi in just over 2 weeks on 12 august

Interesting that you say rather do the marsh road to savuti I assume that means it is dry and if you take it slow should be fine? I have seen other forum members grimacing 😬 about the mud rocks!

We are about a week behind you and I am expecting some water around 3rd Bridge and between Xakanaka and north gate as well.

There are no water crossings that will cause trouble between South Gate, Third Bridge and Xakanaka if you want to do this more scenic route to get to Xakanaka. The deepest crossing is at Third Bridge itself but does not cause problems. From Xakanaka I suggest to Savuti via North Gate. My friend who was towing a caravan moaned a little about the southern part of the marsh road as it is very bumpy. However, to compare someone would have needed to have recently done the southern part of the sand ridge road.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AMacAfrica For This Useful Post:

The water isn't very high, around Northgate the crossings are almost all dry along the transit road just outside khwai village. I put a update on the Marsh road 3 weeks ago and it was perfect then....wouldn't have changed, maybe a bit more dusty.....from Xakanaxa via South Gate to SAvuti is a hell of a long way extra....I wouldn't do it that way around! From Northgate to Mababe gate, take the second track entrance and not the first, this route is fairly soft. You will see on T4A that there is 3 ways up to MababeGate....use the middle one...its best...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HooknCook For This Useful Post:

Thanks Andrew and hook!

Clearly via north gate makes sense then and I see what you mean hook first track up to mababe says deep sand second is clean and third is full of warning signs

Is it possible to go north from Khwai camp and join the transit road? my tracks 4 Africa shows new transit road under construction and new bridge?

my current route is going past kings airstrip etc which I suspect is more scenic and we will need to hear from the Khwai campsite their advice on if this is doable or not at the time

Lekhubu if we get stuck at least it is only a 1 week wait !

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Dog View Post
    Is it possible to go north from Khwai camp and join the transit road? my tracks 4 Africa shows new transit road under construction and new bridge?

my current route is going past kings airstrip etc which I suspect is more scenic and we will need to hear from the Khwai campsite their advice on if this is doable or not at the time
    From North Gate one just follows the gravel road until the turnoff to Mababe gate. I cant see any of the other routes being practical if you are needing to get from Xakanaka to Savuti in one day. It is quite simple now when leaving North Gate, not like the past before the new road was built.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Thanks Andrew agreed hence my focus on getting the route right before we head out! Glad it is simple and will follow your advice! Looking forward to the trip this days drive will be the longest for sure ....

We drove xakanaxa to north gate and the cutline road back to dijara last week- no water crossings between xaka and north gate. Only takes 45 min or so from north gate to dijara.
    Next day we used the marsh road to savuti- not a problem at all. Just a few short bumpy sections where you have to take it slow...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mcbadger For This Useful Post:

Thanks mcbadger that is really helpful and gives peace of mind! Didn't know about dinars that is usefully placed to break the journey next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Dog View Post
    Thank you! we will be heading into moremi in just over 2 weeks on 12 august

Interesting that you say rather do the marsh road to savuti I assume that means it is dry and if you take it slow should be fine? I have seen other forum members grimacing 😬 about the mud rocks!

Why I recommend this is that you can control the speed you do over the bumpy sections (see below) and hence minimise the potential damage.
    If you are doing the sand pits then momentum is your friend, but bumps and roots as well as broken wood in the tracks will prevent you from gaining speed, so you WILL bog down.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbadger View Post
    We drove xakanaxa to north gate and the cutline road back to dijara last week- no water crossings between xaka and north gate. Only takes 45 min or so from north gate to dijara.
    Next day we used the marsh road to savuti- not a problem at all. Just a few short bumpy sections where you have to take it slow...
    Most likely not to change, the waters are not s high as in the record years.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    .........Most likely not to change, the waters are not s high as in the record years.
    Pity really but on the other hand I am little glad, was not particularly keen on going and drowning the soft roader.