Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice: Bmw 650 gs?

A few weeks ago I posted w r t a Kawasaki KLR 650 is as an option as a dual purpose bike. Thanks to all who gave useful and insightful replies.

Problem is the KLR is a very tall bike and at my height (and age!) I need something closer to the ground (I think).

What feedback/advice can you guys give me on a used BMW 650 GS, or one of its variants like the Dakar (max spend R40 000.00)? And is the 650 CS an option for dirt roads? Are these bikes (GS) less tall, and what is the maximum mileage that a used bike should have for it to not be regarded as a"high - miler"?

Servicing & repair costs, comfort and reliability on both tar and rough roads? What to check on used bikes?

Please let me have feedback, and Thanks!
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    Porsche Boxster 3.4 S
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)

I try to be the person my dogs thought I was....

Default Re: Advice: Bmw 650 gs?

Is that the 800cc 650 GS? Two cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    You will be hard pressed to find a F650GS (800cc twin) for R40000 , there was one for sale on Gomboom last week for R45000 but it was gone in minutes . A G650GS (650cc single) is fairly easily obtained for R40000 . The Dakar & Sertao models are the tall versions , the standard G650GS is very easy to handle for shorter riders . There is a nice example for sale (if it is not sold yet) in Sedgefield . I can supply the guys number if you like . He is selling for R40000 , it's an 07 standard G650GS with 47000km IMMSM with a lowered saddle , looks fairly neat
    Have a look on Youtube the comparisons between a KLR650 & a G650GS are plentiful , I am researching these exact models & cannot make up my mind between the tall , simple , ugly KLR or the expensive , full of electrickery BMW . Am planning on riding both when I get home , will then make up my mind
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2016/07/24 at 10:54 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rodneykdc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post

No, only can afford the thumper....
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    Porsche Boxster 3.4 S

As said above, the Dakar and Sertao versions are taller but the normal one is nice and low (well, relatively).

Great bikes. Comfortable, reliable, more than capable enough on gravel roads (the CS you mentioned is not perfect for this).

You can get good examples in your budget.

Mileage can be quite high... I have two friends who still ride theirs at way over 100 000km.

ABS & heated grips was an optional extra package on those so maybe try and find one with that fitted.
    Dewald

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DCR For This Useful Post:

Good bike but I had a few problems with one. No temp gauge and only an idiot light for overheating. The fan housing clips onto the radiator and that caused through rubbing a pin hole in the radiator with the resultant cooling fluid loss. When the light came on, it was too late.

When you drive these bikes hard (160 km/h) they tend to shed their master link lock clip on the chain. Seen it more than once but the easy fix is to put small circlips on the pins instead of the horseshoe clip.

Drive is nice and you will see 29 - 30 km/litre.

The CS is a belt drive if I am not mistaken and that makes it a no no on gravel roads.

Other than that, a very nice and reliable bike and the GS is just about the lowest bike you can get in that class.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Woestynbrak For This Useful Post:

Can't go wrong with F650 GS - picked mine up about 2 years ago for R33K and, after having done +- 30,000 km, only replaced tires, chain and sprockets thus far. Current mileage around 80,000km...

Not the most powerful, but a solid bike with bullet proof motor if looked after...
    Dawie Nel

2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto / 2011 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi 4Motion DSG
    2000 Ford Courier 4x4 D/C (390,000 km) Sold

My first bike was the F650GS, nine years ago. The gasket went on 50k km which to me was reason to upgrade to the 800GS. I got R40k for it (after it was fixed). Other than that I had not a moment's problems. A friend sold his with over 100k km's with only the starter button having given issues. It is one of the more reliable engines used on bikes.

It is a comfortable, low bike and very good for learning. The handling was quite nimble, but it isn't fast (compared to other bikes). The large single cylinder does mean plenty of torque.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by royboy View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted w r t a Kawasaki KLR 650 is as an option as a dual purpose bike. Thanks to all who gave useful and insightful replies.

Problem is the KLR is a very tall bike and at my height (and age!) I need something closer to the ground (I think).

What feedback/advice can you guys give me on a used BMW 650 GS, or one of its variants like the Dakar (max spend R40 000.00)? And is the 650 CS an option for dirt roads? Are these bikes (GS) less tall, and what is the maximum mileage that a used bike should have for it to not be regarded as a"high - miler"?

Servicing & repair costs, comfort and reliability on both tar and rough roads? What to check on used bikes?

Please let me have feedback, and Thanks!
    Hi Royboy
    The BMW GS 650 is a very good choice. Should you decide on buying one, just remember that the suspension can be lowered quite a bid.I am also short, and when I got my bike [brand new], I requested the dealer to lower the suspension, as I did not feel safe standing on my toes when I was stationary. The dealer, however, convinced me that this was actually not necessary. Long story short, I fell with the bike when I pulled away and it smashed me quite seriously. The bike only had a few scratches, but I could not use my right arm for 8 months. I am a walking miracle. This happened on 1 April 2006, but this is another story. Should you decide to buy a GS 650, just insist the suspension to be lowered. You can later on always change it, should you need it to be adjusted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heink For This Useful Post:

Just seen this thread now.

So royboy - did you take the plunge?

The thumper is a great little bike. I owned two of them some years back and will always recommend them to anyone looking at getting into biking or getting back into biking. A very forgiving bike that does everything reasonably well. If you're intending to go bigger at a later stage this is a very good bike to get your confidence back on.

Thanks to all for their helpful comments.

Since I'm looking at buying used, what sort of odometer reading should I avoid? Anything over how many km?

Please advise!
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    Porsche Boxster 3.4 S

Anything under 50K on the 650 will be very safe, they are under stressed motors that will last a long time if looked after. The new twins are huge fun to ride, but I doubt they will last as long as the older 650's do.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Agreed, under 50k km is basically "like new" with regards to the engine. The rest you can see.
    Dewald

My 650 had just over 90 000km on when I sold it. Never gave any problems
    Current 800 just over 100 300 km now. Still going.

Look at the condition of the bike, that will tell a lot more than what the clock says.
    30 000km of abuse is worse than 80 000km of pampering
    Some car, some bike and two legs

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    My 650 had just over 90 000km on when I sold it. Never gave any problems
    Current 800 just over 100 300 km now. Still going.

Look at the condition of the bike, that will tell a lot more than what the clock says.
    30 000km of abuse is worse than 80 000km of pampering
    Agree 100% - many higher mileage motors can be in much better condition and overall condition can attest to this...
    Dawie Nel

2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto / 2011 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi 4Motion DSG
    2000 Ford Courier 4x4 D/C (390,000 km) Sold

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DawieNel For This Useful Post:

Hello Guys

Reviving a thread from a while back...

Question I'm looking at a GS650, Year 2007, it hasn't run for 2 years, and I doubt it was stored or parked correctly.

Am I looking a major long term issues, or just the usual, will it work well after I get it running again, or will there be constant problems from sitting for so long...P.S. current KM is around 21 XXX.

Thanks!
    Fastfly

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    3.2 manual
    Stoffpad bash plate.

My vote goes to all good, obviously change all the fluids and bleed them thru properly and keep an eye on the seals.
    Strong motors and bikes

That is very low km's! I think if all fluids are properly flushed and replaced it will be fine. It would be more concerned about corrosion. Where was the bike stored? Indoors hopefully. What is the asking price? Also, is it the normal 650 or the Dakar?
    Jeep WK 3.0 CRD - In the market, PM me for details
    Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC - sold
    BMW F650 GS Dakar - sold

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

Your biggest problem could be the tank that has gunked up or rusted and the fuel pump that might need an overhaul. Check all that before you try start the bike in order that no junk gets pulled through.

That single cylinder thumper is an epic bike if you are the go anywhere but not too quick kinda guy.

Replace all fluids including brake fluid,

Also have a look at this. Hope it helps and you find a gem

BMW F650GS - What to check for:

The F650GS is a pretty old bike now and there are a lot of tired examples out there, so you tend to get what you pay for. If it looks tidy and well cared for then you should be safe, but a battered hack is best avoided.

When it comes to reliability there are a few things to be wary of. The water pump is driven by plastic gears, which are known to snap, and the pump itself also pops seals. Inspect the housing well for any signs of leaks and on a test ride see if the bike shows any signs of overheating when stationary that may indicate a duff water-pump. Neither is a major job to fix, but they can leave you stranded and possibly even cause damage to the bike. The GS’s vibrations and off-road nature see it eat bearings, so always inspect the head and wheel bearings, and also give the sprocket carrier a good look over and wiggle to see if there is play as its bearing is also a weak point. Early GSs had a smaller nut on the gearbox output shaft that holds the drive sprocket in place, which can work loose. Swap it for a later larger nut to be on the safe size. A few owners have experienced wiring loom issues (and the occasional fire!) so check all the lights etc work and pay attention to the indicators as they like to corrode and stop working. Aside from a good check over for rust on the frame and corrosion/broken spokes on the wheels, it’s the usual used bike checks, however as it is a single, look for smoke on start-up and ensure the motor is cold before it is started as canny sellers warm it up before hand to stop excessive smoke!

Be a little wary as a few GS’s were restricted down to 34bhp with 37ftlb of torque to meet licence laws, so if a GS feels slower than normal this may be the reason. Happily the kit is easy to remove…
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Fastfly

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    3.2 manual
    Stoffpad bash plate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast