Diesel in Rakops?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diesel in Rakops?

For those who have been to the CKGR recently, was there diesel available in Rakops? I am wondering if the supply has become more reliable. Cost of the diesel?

Default Re: Diesel in Rakops?

I filled up there end April. Cannot remember price.

Hennie Beukes
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT

Cool Re: Diesel in Rakops?

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Play View Post
    I filled up there end April. Cannot remember price.
    Hello Hennie

We are going there now in August

Serowe, Mopipi and Rakops

Can you remeber the diesel avalabilty at the places?

do you think they are open on Sunday's?

Des Little

Quote Originally Posted by Littledes View Post
    Hello Hennie

We are going there now in August

Serowe, Mopipi and Rakops

Can you remeber the diesel avalabilty at the places?

do you think they are open on Sunday's?

Des Little
    Serowe and Rakops had Diesel two weeks ago. P8,44 per liter.

'98 300 TDI "Lady Jane"
    '11 SX4 "Bazooki"

At both Serowe and Mopipi the diesel supply is reliable and has been for years. In all the time I have travelled there, these two places always have had both types of fuel.

I have however found that the filling station in Serowe at the Mall where the SPAR is (just before you turn right to bypass the main town en route to Khama Rhino), to be very busy and you can wait as much as 15 to 20 minutes for your turn to fill up.

Beyond Serowe, at Lethlakeng there are several filling stations and they always seem to have both types as well. I make a point of filling up here, even though I've never had a problem at Mopipi.

Lethlakeng is a fairly big town with several spares shops and workshops. There are two Midas stores locally and I managed to get front wheel bearings for my Nissan Terrano there, when I had a bearing failure about 50km north of town. A local workshop helped me late Friday afternoon and after getting the bearings, one mechanic came in on Saturday morning and helped me fit the new bearings.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/07/24 at 08:05 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Yes they are open on Sundays. The filling station at Rakops also sells wood and also takes card. Letlhakane has three main filling stations, although only the Shell took card when there a week back. There is even a new Nandos at the station closest to the Orapa side (Puma or Engen?). It is unlikely for all three filling stations in Letlhakane to be out fuel, so I normally plan on a refuel here.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

There is a new Shell service station in Rakops so fuel not a problem (when I was there in April) Can unfortunately not remember price though.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

In March the Shell pumps (no garage, just pumps) in Rakops had no fuel, but in June they had fuel!

Its like playing roulette!!!!

In March it was critical for us to get fuel there as we came from Kubu. We had to go out north because of the water. We wanted to fill up in Gweta, but they had no fuel/diesel. So we pushed on to Rakops, the nearest fuel pumps!, they also had noting!. We carried on to Mopipi and filled up there and then back to Rakops to take the turn-off to CKGR. We got to CKGR at 20h00 that night and had to sleep at Matswere's campsite.

In June we came from the south and filled up at Mopipi and stopped again at Rakops and this time they had diesel, when we did not really need to fill up. But we did!

Price was BWP 7.21 /lt

Better that you do not rely on Rakops..................
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2016/07/21 at 03:15 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    For those who have been to the CKGR recently, was there diesel available in Rakops? I am wondering if the supply has become more reliable. Cost of the diesel?

Hi

Just got back. there is 50pp diesel in Rakops as of Tuesday but next option is Mopipi. Cost is around P. 7.20/Lt

Rakops is better than it was but still not 100% reliable.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

We fill up at Lethlakeng and then top up at Rakops if you are coming from the Serowe side.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Thanks everyone! We'll keep our fingers crossed for Rakops and plan for Mopipi if necessary. James - we will be coming from Maun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Birdie For This Useful Post:

Was there two weeks ago. Rakops had diesel but not petrol. Did not take note of price.

We visited CKGR in the first week of September, and there was diesel available when we needed to fill up.

Henry

2010 Navara 2.5 D/C 4x4
    2016 Chev Utility Club 1.8
    Echo 4

Mopipi seems very reliable, contrary to Rakops, where you're chances are well below 50%.

Gweta: Only passed once here in april 2016, but petrol station seemed to be closed for years, there was no diesel. Anyone has more info about this petrol station?

As you say, the fuel station at Gweta has been closed for a long time. I have no idea why.

Rakops was never 100% reliable. I would say 90% in recent years, but they seems to be slipping again.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2016/09/25 at 10:09 AM.

We were there a few days back - disel in Racobs but no petrol. Our neighbour at Komaga had to travel to Mpipi to get.
    Meryl
    Toyota Fortuner
    Afrispoor Buffel