Tow-Bar for Camping Trailer

Default Tow-Bar for Camping Trailer

Hi
    I am buying a 4x4 camping trailer, what rating does my tow-bar need?

Default Re: Tow-Bar for Camping Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Slabeye View Post
    Hi
    I am buying a 4x4 camping trailer, what rating does my tow-bar need?
    Its going to depend on the trailer, and how you load it. Some trailers have their wheels further back to reduce sway and increase the hitch load.

There is also a maximum that you can go on the downward rating of a towbar, in South Africa I believe it's 100kg, so if pulled off at a weighbridge you'll be in a spot of bother over that. Pack the right trailer correctly and 100kg should be achievable, then make sure you've got a 100kg rated towbar.

I'm sure the likes of Heintz (Metallian) will be along in a while to clarify.

Default Re: Tow-Bar for Camping Trailer

You need an SABS approved tow bar and not something specific. Legally you are not allowed more than100kg on the nose and that is determined by how you load the trailer, on the other end of the scale your vehicle has a maximum weight it is allowed to tow. An approved and recognized brand tow bar fitted buy a reputable fitment center is more than adequate to tow anything you can legally hitch behind it. It might be a good move to contact Gav Pike from broadacres fitment, he is a member here and will set you on the right track, he has done it once or twice before

In theory the position of the wheels determines the stability of the trailer and in theory the Metalian Mini should tow better than the Maxi as its nose moment is much longer. The facts are that they both tow like dreams and the nose length does not affect them. One does have to pack more carefully keeping heavy stuff over the axle or behind if possible on a longer nose moment. A well designed trailer will always tow well if it is packed correctly
    Last edited by hbannink; 2016/07/10 at 10:56 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook