AU Passport

Thread: AU Passport

Default AU Passport

I don't see any other thread regarding the new proposed AU Passports, great for overlanding but there may also be negative implications.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/af...ort/index.html

What are your thoughts on this?
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

Default Re: AU Passport

Quote Originally Posted by qoda View Post
    I don't see any other thread regarding the new proposed AU Passports, great for overlanding but there may also be negative implications.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/af...ort/index.html

What are your thoughts on this?
    Think this will be a disaster. Whomever from the 50 worst countries will descend on the strongest 2 and inhabit. With the current international trade agreements etc I do not see how this will benefit commerce, it's only allowing for mass migration across borders. It's like taking trading back 200 years.
    "Africa is a continent of migrants so we are not as suspicious of refugees," - what an understatement, of course they are not, just let then settle down wherever to relieve the burden on an already non-caring African country, less internal rif-raf to worry about.
    You cannot compare the EU and the AU, and even they are now sitting with a looming crisis at hand because of refugees and migrant costing them millions annually. This will in all likelihood stop a number of people crossing the Sahara and they'll look South as the risk will be less and it will be a legal passage. Not a good prospect for the more stable countries in the AU.
    2015 Nissan X-Terra
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

Personally I don't see all Africa's countries agreeing, there will always be a ...........in the woodpile.
    As the article says, lots of places love the visa costs.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Personally I don't see all Africa's countries agreeing, there will always be a ...........in the woodpile.
    As the article says, lots of places love the visa costs.
    I agree, especially not the likes of Egypt and Morocco. We have to see how it plays out, from what I understand it's still just a proposal.

The move to one world government. Consolidation. Stripping of individual states identities. Global citizenship.

Its all part of the plan.

Disaster indeed. Our present passport will be handled on the same level as that of the worst country that signed up. Well, at present SA still have some international value, typical when applying for visas etc., Which will for sure be lost. E.g. SA driving licence is directly accepted in all First world countries, not so sure same goes for all of Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by onwards View Post
    Disaster indeed. Our present passport will be handled on the same level as that of the worst country that signed up.
    Good point, on the other hand will the AU passport supersede all other sovereign passports or be an addition one which you can travel with in Africa.

Not much info on the proposal that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by qoda View Post
    Good point, on the other hand will the AU passport supersede all other sovereign passports or be an addition one which you can travel with in Africa.

Not much info on the proposal that I can find.
    All the mentions are that this system will be electronic, using biometrics. So you won't have a physical AU passport, just check in with fingerprints or whatever. You will still have your normal passport then for other travel and presumably for identification in African countries.

This will be nice for travel (like Moz) since it makes it easier, but making it legal for anybody to just move anywhere they want is asking for trouble. Especially with our national health service coming up, they cannot finance it now, never mind with another few million refugees showing up. Although, maybe this AU passport is just valid for short stays. Thus anybody can move through any African country, but it does not make you a citizen.
    2004 Pajero LWB 3.8 - My toy
    1998 Pajero SWB 3.0 - SWAMBO's toy

FJ45 with fibreglass body and 3CT motor - being built

I see this morning SA must give a little cash to fund the AU galavanting around and staying in Africa's finest hotels....

A snip at 2.2 billion Ront !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016