Advice for last week of our Zambian trip (Kafue)

Default Advice for last week of our Zambian trip (Kafue)

Hello, I'm looking for an advice for the last leg of our Zim-Zam self-driving trip (mid-August). After spending time in Mana Pools and South Luangwa we will have 8 final days
    to spend. We have a general idea what to do, but need some advice about details. Our plan is to drive from SLNP to Kafue, spend some time there and then to Livingstone, with one night stop at Nanzhilla. We end our trip in Livingstone and come back home).

What am I thinking about:
    1. Which route to take from SLNP to Kafue? We would like to avoid coming back to Lusaka via Chipata, so we are considering:
    - either taking route "05" (toward Great North Road, and going to Kafue via Kabwe)
    - or come back to Lusaka with a "shortcut" to Petauke
    We are a couple, and will be driving alone, so I wonder if you think it would be reasonable to drive any of these roads?

2. How much time should we plan for driving from SLNP to Kafue?

3. What would be your recommendations about time allocation in Kafue (I mean camps and activities)? We are thinking about staying at Kasabushi and/or Kaingu but we are open for any other advice. Would you rather stay in one camp or share time between different camps (assuming that we only have 4-5 days)? Does any side of Kafue river offer more interesting loops for self-driving than the other?

4. We'd prefer not to book in advance, because we like flexibility, but also we wouldn't like to find ourselves with no place to sleep. Do you think we can go to Kafue without bookings?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by hubertj; 2016/07/18 at 12:53 PM.

Default Re: Advice for last week of our Zambian trip (Kafue)

we just camped at chris macbride camp site in 2005 ; very wild and open ; had regular visits of ellie , buff , some hippo ;then one night lion came thru camp ; chris is an expert on lion as well ; good walks in the bush ; spotted male lion and a female ; game drive spotted lionesses ; lots of puku as well ;enjoyed tremendously the experience ; will come back .

Hi hubertj

When exactly are you in those parts? Me and my wife will be in SLNP from 30.July until 5.August, when we will be leaving toward Great Norh Road via route "05". From there we will head toward Kasanka NP for a night or two and then continuing via Lusaka to Kafue NP. We will be in central and southern Kafue from 8.August until 13.August. We will be driving down the Spinal road on the western side of Kafue river (inside the park) toward Nanzhila Plains, staying in Kasabushi camp for couple of nights, ending our trip in Livingstone.

Do our paths and timing cross anywhere with this itinerary?
    Last edited by ortelius; 2016/07/18 at 01:01 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Hello ortelius, looks like we will be following your footsteps. We will be arriving to both SLNP and Kafue just after your depertures. Our estimate dates: Mana Pools: 30.07-6.08, SLNP 8-13.08, Kafue: 14-20.08. Where do you stay in Kasanka? We though about stopping somewhere around Kundalila Falls (if we decide to go with '05').

Jayefe - thank you for this recommendation. McBrides is among camps we are considering, but their location seems a little bit inconvenient for us (lots of extra driving and backtracking, assuming the short time we will have for Kafue). Not decided yet, but we will probably choose to focus on southern part of the Park this time.

Quote Originally Posted by hubertj View Post
    Where do you stay in Kasanka? We though about stopping somewhere around Kundalila Falls (if we decide to go with '05').
    In Kasanka, we plan to camp in Pontoon campsite inside the NP. If we will be to late to reach Kasanka in a day from SLNP, we will probably spend the night at Mutinondo. We will maybe visit Kundalila falls, but will try not to spend the night there - have read some not so nice reviews about the place (like this one: http://www.getaway.co.za/travel-stor...entral-zambia/).

Have a nice trip in Mana & Zamibia!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thanks for Kundalila info, maybe we should reconsider staying there.

Regarding 05 Route - do you have any up-to-date news about Mupamadzi water levels and how the river crossing look these days? I saw some pictures from the previous years and it looked quite adventerous, I must say

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Have a nice trip in Mana & Zamibia!
    Same to you !

The river crossing is the "easier" part of the "05" so long as the river has been sandbagged! The escarpment climb is the challenge...
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2016/07/18 at 03:50 PM.

There you have it. No, I don't have any newer info on conditions of route 05. The most useful information I've got about this stretch actually came from Wazungu Wawili. As he says, I'm more concerned about the climb over the escarpment than about the river crossing.

We will ask rangers in SLNP about the route conditions and decide there. As plan B, we could still go from SLNP to NLNP, sleep over the night in Chifunda comunity camp and then cross NLNP and up the escarpment the next day to Great North road.

Quote Originally Posted by hubertj View Post
    1. Which route to take from SLNP to Kafue? We would like to avoid coming back to Lusaka via Chipata, so we are considering:
    - either taking route "05" (toward Great North Road, and going to Kafue via Kabwe)
    - or come back to Lusaka with a "shortcut" to Petauke
    We are a couple, and will be driving alone, so I wonder if you think it would be reasonable to drive any of these roads?

2. How much time should we plan for driving from SLNP to Kafue?

3. What would be your recommendations about time allocation in Kafue (I mean camps and activities)? We are thinking about staying at Kasabushi and/or Kaingu but we are open for any other advice. Would you rather stay in one camp or share time between different camps (assuming that we only have 4-5 days)? Does any side of Kafue river offer more interesting loops for self-driving than the other?

4. We'd prefer not to book in advance, because we like flexibility, but also we wouldn't like to find ourselves with no place to sleep. Do you think we can go to Kafue without bookings?
    1/2. It took us (also a couple) 2 days to get from SLNP (Crocodile Camp) to Kasabushi over the great east road in november 2014. But the first day (stayed oevr at Pioneer Camp near Lusaka) was long, also due to the roadworks. Seeing the route from Mfuwe bridge to the Great North Route take an hour of 6, you will need 2 day through that option too. I would choose for the "05" (if doable, it wasnt when we where there), because it ismore interesting then the Great East Road.

3. I think you better head for Kasabushi as it is in the park and on a wonderful spot. Staying there 2 or 3 nights and then headof to Nanzhilla (again a wonderful spot). Seeing you depart from Livingstone, you are in a days reach of it at Nanzhilla.

4. I dont have an idea about booking at that time. We have been there in november and february and never have problems with booking. But others will know more about it.

Enjoy your stay. Kafue is magnificent.