Drinking alcohol on the Dewildt 4c4 trail

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Drinking alcohol on the Dewildt 4c4 trail

I spent a very pleasant day at Dewildt this past Saturday . The weather was kind , by 10:00 am jackets off and in T shirts. We were a group of 3 vehicles and really enjoyed playing like all little boys do pushing our own limits a little further and getting to know our 4x4's capabilities better.

The only negative for the day was two vehicles both full with wives and kids drinking on the trail. The one was a single cab Hilux bakkie with the guys sitting on the back tail gate and kids sitting on the roll bar . Their general loud behavior was an accident waiting to happen. There was no point approaching them because it would have just ended in a fight.

Why is it that you have to drink alcohol at 10:00am in the morning? We finished the trail and had a leaker braai , a beer or two and home by 17:00.

I enjoy a couple of beers like the next guy, but there is a time and place.

My real concern that the young boys in that group will grow up thinking this is acceptable behavior 😡.

Rant off.

Default Re: Drinking alcohol on the Dewildt 4c4 trail

Quote Originally Posted by blainec View Post
    I enjoy a couple of beers like the next guy, but there is a time and place.

I totally agree. If the guys start hitting the booze when I am in the trip, I either pull out, or they have to.

But I don't want to be around to try and revive a kid with a towball stuck in his chest. Or somebody's wife, under a rolled over 4x4.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I also agree 100%, my reward for a lekker off road drive is 1) not to damage my vehicle, and 2) to have a beer afterwards once off the trail. Drinking and driving on a trail shows a lack of intelligence, IMHO!!!
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Yup, seriously. Leave the booze for the braai afterwards; enjoy the 4x4 outing for what it is. Why can't some people have a good time without a drink in hand? I also enjoy my beer, dry red and whipsky, but as mentioned there is a time and place for everything. It happened at a Forum GTG this year that the manne hit the kroeg before the driving began. A request; can't we meet on the trail, drive and enjoy the day and have a tipple afterwards?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

That's the way De Wildt and most other trails in the area go.

"Hou my dop en check die move pappie".

This type of person brushes their teeth with a beer.
    Last edited by jelo; 2016/07/11 at 11:20 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by blainec View Post
    Why is it that you have to drink alcohol at 10:00am in the morning? We finished the trail and had a leaker braai , a beer or two and home by 17:00.

I enjoy a couple of beers like the next guy, but there is a time and place...
    Drinking and driving is unacceptable by any standard, on- and off-road. (more so for off roading in my opinion, as you need your wits about you.)

BUT, I'd like to ask and challenge a something, and I'm probably going to receive some critique about this. The OP already has a view on this it seems:

Drinking a beer at 10AM is totally okay. Just as drinking a beer at 5PM, or whenever. We have a stigma in society that to drink alcohol before a certain time is 'not okay'. Why is this? Why do so many people judge people that do have a drink before "the first airplane has flown over"? This snap-judgement is so infused in our society that whenever someone is doing something that is not on, unacceptable or out of the ordinary in our set of 'rules' that we instantly pass judgement on them.

Please don't confuse my sentiment about judging people's social behavior (10AM beers) with what is dangerous (drinking and driving/ kids on a roll bar).
    Last edited by Professional_Weekender; 2016/07/11 at 11:35 AM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Professional_Weekender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Professional_Weekender View Post

Drinking a beer at 10AM is totally okay. Just as drinking a beer at 5PM, or whenever.
    I suppose. One beer per hour is OK if you intend to drive with the current RTA. Soon it will be down to 0 ppm on the breathalyzer.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Professional_Weekender View Post
    Drinking and driving is unacceptable by any standard, on- and off-road. (more so for off roading in my opinion, as you need your wits about you.)

BUT, I'd like to ask and challenge a something, and I'm probably going to receive some critique about this. The OP already has a view on this it seems:

Drinking a beer at 10AM is totally okay. Just as drinking a beer at 5PM, or whenever. We have a stigma in society that to drink alcohol before a certain time is 'not okay'. Why is this? Why do so many people judge people that do have a drink before "the first airplane has flown over"? This snap-judgement is so infused in our society that whenever someone is doing something that is not on, unacceptable or out of the ordinary in our set of 'rules' that we instantly pass judgement on them.

Please don't confuse my sentiment about judging people's social behavior (10AM beers) with what is dangerous (drinking and driving/ kids on a roll bar).
    Fair enough, but at 4x4 GTG's, can we leave the booze until after the day's driving is done? Even if nothing serious goes wrong, it just leads to silly behaviour, conflict, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Fair enough, but at 4x4 GTG's, can we leave the booze until after the day's driving is done? Even if nothing serious goes wrong, it just leads to silly behaviour, conflict, etc.
    Where's the fun in that?

Mur mekaar, ek haat vrede...........
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Where's the fun in that?

Mur mekaar, ek haat vrede...........
    But we want to have repeated GTG's! We compete with our rides, not PK's, entertaining as it would be in the short term... The braai/drinks afterwards is then also something to look forward to.

I totally agree, drinking while driving is terrible, and we have come across it many times on a 4x4 trail, sadly it will continue.

The last trail we went there was a bunch of guys drinking and 4x4ing badly, so we quickly passed them and moved on, as we left the next obstacle the first 4x4 from their group came up a very technical section and promptly pulled his rear bumper off, we took 1 look and left. I have no time for that!

I also agree there is no "start" time to drinking, many camps I will have a dop in hand around 10am - when the mood hits, but if we are driving or doing anything where I need to have my brain working properly the dop will wait till the braai later in the day when we're back at camp
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

A Hilux you say?
    Probably celebrating that it hasn't been stolen.
    It's a know fact that all Hilux's get stolen [Citation needed]...

Drinkiing on trails have been discussed to death, what i find amusing is that most respondents feel its ok to have w drink after the days driving and then go home?so its ok to have a shot before going home but not ok to do so while on the trail?
    I used to ride my sports bike in ET , we enjoyed the high speed and we had an unwritted rule no drinks
    while keys in the bike, so we had a milkshake and only had a drink if the bikes were parked for the night, our reputation did suffer on ocasions as we were seen to be hard core bikers and it was assumed we drank like sailors on vacation , when in fact we were softies when it came to booze.
    Long story short , dont crusify the guy with a drink in his hand on the trail if you are going to have one after as you will be intocicated on the road, just as guilty,
    ok now crusify me,
    Last edited by NEON DEON; 2016/07/11 at 07:25 PM.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NEON DEON For This Useful Post:

Dont drink while you on a trail rather get pissed afterwards and drive on the puplic roads and endanger us all!

Drinking before or after a trail, how many would pass a breathalyser if there were a road block on your way home?
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

No drinking on trails....

I don't think it's bad to have a beer on a bit of a day out. smacking 6 or 8 in an hour (or the first bottle of brannas or vodka or whatever) while operating heavy machinery (a vehicle) is a totally different thing.

As people don't get the difference it's just easier to impose no drinking on everyone, until after the trail If you happen to be driving home afterwards , obviously, you need to keep it tidy!

Also, I see nothing wrong with the time of day to have a drink, if you are comfortable with it, who cares.

Why should we find a champagne breakfast acceptable but look down on a guy pouring a beer into his bowl of froot loops? If you want to serve the froot loops with a stiff brandy and coke, go for it!

If you are operating any kind of heavy machinery - whether it be a chain saw or a car - you need to keep the booze intake to realistic levels, thats the only requirement.

Drinking a six pack from 10 in the morning to 6 at night is perfectly acceptable, especially if you are working in the hot sun. Unless it's a 6 pack of Klipdrfit 750ml....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/07/11 at 07:40 PM.

I rather do a trail with a guy sipping a beer than do what I do:
    Drive on Gauteng's roads where every 2nd Dumbtard is either texting or on the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I rather do a trail with a guy sipping a beer than do what I do:
    Drive on Gauteng's roads where every 2nd Dumbtard is either texting or on the phone...
    Can't argue with you here. Its a problem!
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex

White women between 18 & 38-ish are the worst - nearly everyone drives phone in hand.

I get next to text drivers (any) & then hoot & when they look, I show them the middle finger.
    It's amazing that every single one has this "What? Why?" look of confusion on their faces.

One woman who drove through a red light & then cut me off turning right wound down her window before I showed her the finger.
    "What?" she asked.
    "You were on your phone, went through a red light & were on your phone!"
    "Oh, F*** Off, you A***hole!" & she closed the window.
    Light changed & I cut in front of her & drove at 40kmph...

(Some idiots are going to say 'two wrongs don't make a right' & I'll reply, so why punish naughty children?)...

Nothing wrong with taking a few beers over a long trail that lasts the entire day.

Or as pointed out, a beer every hour. So what if the first one is at 10h00??

But if your beer drinking hampers your ability to operate your vehicle and endangers my life, then I'll leave or have something to say about it.

Problem is knowing your limits and your vehicle's.

This comes with age or sometimes not at all. There will always be that one person....

Those who know me and have driven with me, knows that I'll have a couple of beers on every trail if I feel like it.

The moment anyone feels I'm endangering anyone's else's lives, speak up and I'll abide by your wishes.

I want everyone to enjoy the outing just as much as everyone else.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

The only reason why I have my first beer at 10 on a Saturday is because it pi$$es my wife off if I have the first beer at 9.
    But i don't do the drinking and driving thing or even take beer with on a trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast