rented trailer border crossing requirements

Default rented trailer border crossing requirements

I couldn't find any similar questions and I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, so apologies on both counts if I'm wrong, but here goes;

I'm heading over to Bots for the first time in August and will be renting a mini savuti trailer.
    The venter rental agent has given me a letter granting permission for me to take it across the border and emailed me a copy of the registration papers. Neither of these documents is certified.

Two years ago I lent a mate of mine my bakkie to go to Moz, and likewise gave him a letter and a copy of the registration.
    No issues.

Now I've come across the below in two separate sites - the posts are quite old (circa 2013/2014) and both refer to vehicles, but I would assume for border purposes a trailer is considered a vehicle? I don't want to arrive at the border and get told I can't carry on before the trip even starts because I don't have the right paperwork - but getting the rental agent to go to a police station to give me an affidavit will be problematic, especially when they swear blind they "always just give their clients a letter".
    Can someone perhaps confirm whether the below is actually still a requirement, or whether a simple permission letter and copy of registration are fine for rentals?

Vehicle registration documents: If the vehicle is rented, not registered in your name, or not yet fully paid, you will need an affidavit from the police giving you permission from the rental company, financial institution, or owner to take the vehicle across a Botswanan border post. Both this letter and the registration documents need to be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.

If an affidavit is the law and everyone abides by it, then I have some leverage with the agent - at the moment they're telling me what I have is sufficient and I don't know any better - would appreciate a second opinion.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by sleigher; 2016/07/08 at 09:24 PM.

Default Re: rented trailer border crossing requirements

Jannie Kubu on the forum can help you, he rents out trailers and would know the requirements
    (CURRENT) PAJERO LWB 3.2 AUTO 4X4
    (SOLD) TRITON 3.2 AUTO 4X4
    (SOLD ) PAJERO SPORT 3.2 AUTO 4X4

If the registration papers are not certified it is not worth the paper it is printed on, don't waste money going to the border. You also need proof of insurance on the trailer besides the permision to export document which we always have chapped by the cops a well, could not hurt if you have a difficult border official.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Take the papers obtaine from the rental company to the SAPS and ask them to certify the said papers.
    Have the rental companys particulars on the forms, so that they can 'phone them if they are not satisfied with your copies.
    Try also have all the particulars of the person and telephone number with whom the SAPS can liase if they are not happy to sign.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

In the 5 years we did the rentals we always used one form that said basically
    The company allows customer X to take trailer Y over the border to country A, B, C.

We used a preprinted form where we only added the customers name and ID and the time from --- to ---
    Signed
    Done
    Only for Zimbabwe and Zambia we gave certified copies of the registration papers.
    Botswana is generally easy with border crossings.