Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Discovery 1 V8 fuel problems

My neighbor has a Disco 1 V8. It is a 3,9 liter fuel injection but after starting problems they converted it to a twin SU carb setup.
    It starts easily, runs smooth and pulls strong. The engine is in a very good condition but it has an intermittent problem of just cutting out and then flatly refuse to start. After standing a long time it will start perfectly.

To date they have removed the high pressure pump and replaced it with a universal pump under the bonnet. Power supply via relay from battery - no problem there. Coil replaced as preventative measure. AboutAfrica advised me to move the pump from under the bonnet to prevent heat soak issues. Before they did that they tested the vehicle extensively on short runs, longer runs and under high temp conditions. It runs perfectly and only intermittently cut out and battle to restart. No pattern can be drawn from what could cause it.

Today he drove off and within 800m from home it stopped. I towed it back and tried to find a fault with my limited Landy experience. (By this time I am an experienced Landy tow in service provider for my neighbor but that is where it stops).

Back at home the Landy started first time, smooth but once you rev it, it is typical fuel starvation. Misfires at revs and back to idle it smooths out but eventually dies. I connected the pump directly from a Jerry can to the carbs to ensure it gets fuel. No difference.
    I then saw the old fuel injection tank return fuel line is still in place. I pinched it close with a vise-grip reckoning that the fuel will take the easy way back to tank. Nope, engine started running rough as if it runs too rich. By releasing the vise-grip it smoothed out again.

I am sure it is fuel related. If it was a "normal" type of carb, I would say the float level is too low. Idle gets enough fuel but once you rev it, it starves. Problem is that it is not consistent and that makes me think of something that stuck or perhaps a diaphragm that leaks. I don't know what an SU looks like inside. Anybody who can shed a bit of light for me on this problem.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

Lightbulb Re: Discovery 1 V8 fuel problems

Replace the old coil v8 uses a special coil , and test,what fuel pump did you fit ?

Default Re: Discovery 1 V8 fuel problems

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    Replace the old coil v8 uses a special coil , and test,what fuel pump did you fit ?
    Mike, the pump is a Facet universal pump, what we call the tock tock pump. The coil is apparently for the V8. The owner bought it from Landytech for the V8. Do you have a part number for the correct coil?

Check the amplified on the distributor too, module on the side. Some good info here as well - http://www.v8engines.com/electrics-1.htm
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    Check the amplified on the distributor too, module on the side. Some good info here as well - http://www.v8engines.com/electrics-1.htm
    Thanks Spectator. Will check it out.