T4A Guide App Feedback

Default T4A Guide App Feedback

Afternoon, thinking about getting the T4A Guide App with some maps for a proposed trip. Looking for any feedback from anyone who has used the Guide app?
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: T4A Guide App Feedback

I recently lashed out and bought both, the Navigator and the Guide. I am very impressed with the guide, Its basicly the same as the paper map with a cursor to indicate your position and the POI have a lot more info on them. phone numbers, website urls and a few pics of the places. Swambo the designated navigator is quite happy with it. Going to give it a extended whirl next week when we go on a 4 week northern Namibia.

The Navigator..after years of Garmin its a bit of a learning curve and the app is not as intuitive as I think it could be. (everything is in the menu, its just difficult to pin things down as I keep on thinking in Garmin when I should be speaking Android) That said, it does the job and the questions that I had were answered promptly by T4A. In the long run its the way to go. My Garmin still works but its starting to show its age and I don't expect it to last much longer. I would need to replace it with a Montana or similar and cannot justify the 12k expense.

The guide get updated for 2 years (I think) and the Navigator...pay once and you get all the updates for ever and ever.
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

The Navigator app is excellent! On my recent Caprivi trip I actually used the app more than my Montana. The Montana can do a whole lot more but i just found myself using the App more as i could get quick access to whatever i was looking for.
    Love it!
    Land Cruiser V8 D/C
    2013 Discovery 4 SE
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara(TJ)-Sold
    Freelander 2 HSE-Sold
    2014 JKU Rubicon-Sold

Navigator on a Cat S40 does about the same as a Montana I think.
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

Hallo CecilH: In the past I used Basecamp to locate a POI (campsite/fuel stops/etc) and then went to the T4A website for more info. Using the Guide App I zoom in on the area of interest, select e.g. campsites, and all the campsites in that region shows up as a green dot. Click on a dot of interest, and the campsite name will come up, click on it again and you get the relevant info on the site, contact details and any other info that is available to us (and is usually displayed on the T4A website). Very usefull is that the app works off-line once you have downloaded it - so you can sit in the middle of the Moremi and use the app, no internet needed. Your phone needs to be GPS enabled in order to show your relevant position though.

kocourek: once you have downloaded and paid for the app, you do not pay for any updates - not even after two years. As long as you log into your relevant store (google play or apple istore) with the same account details, the app will automatically update with new information.

Regards
    Lizette (T4A)
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilh View Post
    Afternoon, thinking about getting the T4A Guide App with some maps for a proposed trip. Looking for any feedback from anyone who has used the Guide app?
    Hi Cecilih,
    I just bought Botswana map in the guide and I am very disappointed. I started today a new thread about my disappointment so you can read my critique here:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...tment-with-T4A

Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo CecilH: In the past I used Basecamp to locate a POI (campsite/fuel stops/etc) and then went to the T4A website for more info. Using the Guide App I zoom in on the area of interest, select e.g. campsites, and all the campsites in that region shows up as a green dot. Click on a dot of interest, and the campsite name will come up, click on it again and you get the relevant info on the site, contact details and any other info that is available to us (and is usually displayed on the T4A website). Very usefull is that the app works off-line once you have downloaded it - so you can sit in the middle of the Moremi and use the app, no internet needed. Your phone needs to be GPS enabled in order to show your relevant position though.

kocourek: once you have downloaded and paid for the app, you do not pay for any updates - not even after two years. As long as you log into your relevant store (google play or apple istore) with the same account details, the app will automatically update with new information.

Regards
    Lizette (T4A)

Lizette,
    but, the green dot in the guide is of little use, if it is hidden under very large R letter in the word Moremi, and you cant see most of the roads in the area because they are all covered with word Moremi. And similar for Savutu area, for Maun, Kasane...

I just bough the Botswana map in the guide and I am really really disappointed.

Gregor

CecilH: you can also read more about the app on the T4A blog: http://blog.tracks4africa.co.za/trac...ica-guide-app/

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hallo Gregor,

Keep in mind that the app is meant to be an electronic "guide" (instead of a paper guide such as a book) and it is intended to supply you with information, not navigation. It is useful to have the map in order to locate the approximate position of a certain point, but it is not intended to be used for navigation. The background map is only useful in basic route planning, as all the roads will not show up on the app. Also, if you try to zoom in to see the roads, the app will "overzoom" and the names will appear even bigger, hiding most of the information on the screen.

For now we have left the scale bar off the map. Keep in mind that T4A focuses on off-road travel, and therefore Travel Time between points is more important, rather than distance to travel. As an example, the 137km from Maun to Third Bridge, will take approximately 4.5hours to complete (or if you like to view game, a whole day!), while if you are travelling on tar from Maun to e.g. Phuduhudu, 128km will take 1.5hours.

Having said that, we are always looking for ways to improve our products, and I have forwarded your comments to our mapping team to consider when working on our updates.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo Gregor,

Keep in mind that the app is meant to be an electronic "guide" (instead of a paper guide such as a book) and it is intended to supply you with information, not navigation. It is useful to have the map in order to locate the approximate position of a certain point, but it is not intended to be used for navigation. The background map is only useful in basic route planning, as all the roads will not show up on the app. Also, if you try to zoom in to see the roads, the app will "overzoom" and the names will appear even bigger, hiding most of the information on the screen.

For now we have left the scale bar off the map. Keep in mind that T4A focuses on off-road travel, and therefore Travel Time between points is more important, rather than distance to travel. As an example, the 137km from Maun to Third Bridge, will take approximately 4.5hours to complete (or if you like to view game, a whole day!), while if you are travelling on tar from Maun to e.g. Phuduhudu, 128km will take 1.5hours.

Having said that, we are always looking for ways to improve our products, and I have forwarded your comments to our mapping team to consider when working on our updates.

Regards

Lizette

Dear Lizette,
    It does not says in the description of the product that this is not a proper map. In the description in app store it says: "A detailed map of the country/region you purchase."

For me, if the roads are overlaid with the name places so you can't really see the road, this is not really a detailed map.

I understand completely that driving times are different depending whether you drive in sand or on tar road. But it is still useful (and every map that I know has that) to have a scale to be able to estimate the distance.

Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaf View Post
    Dear Lizette,
    It does not says in the description of the product that this is not a proper map. In the description in app store it says: "A detailed map of the country/region you purchase."

For me, if the roads are overlaid with the name places so you can't really see the road, this is not really a detailed map.

I understand completely that driving times are different depending whether you drive in sand or on tar road. But it is still useful (and every map that I know has that) to have a scale to be able to estimate the distance.

Gregor
    I answered Gregor in an offline mail, but would like to comment here as well.

Gregor is correct in saying that the Guide App (not Navigator) does not zoom right to the last zoom level. We intentionally left out the last two to keep the memory requirement of the Guide app acceptable. However we are already working on the next implementation of this technology which allows vector based tiles to be used. Without getting into the technical details, it essentially means that we save a lot of memory and will use that to include the last two zoom levels. Your next question will probably be when will this be released. I cannot say right now, we are already building those maps, but testing must still be doe to make sure everything is working properly.

We have also rewritten the Guide app from the ground app since the iOS version was launched. The new platform is already providing the Android version of the app. This will later be replacing the iOS one and from there onwards we have a single development platform.

Things like the scale bar is already addressed in the new platform. We are also working on an offline route calculation engine for this app. I have been doing live testing in the Karoo over the last two weeks and it works really well, but is far from being ready for release. It is however an indication of where we are heading with this app. We are also testing tracking at the same time.

My typical setup the last two weeks were Guide App on iPad Mini in the middle of the dash. My wife can then also use the Guide app to see what is around us, find places etc. On my side of the steering wheel I have my phone on a bracket with the Navigator app running. I use that mostly for checking time and distance to destinations and the odd navigation when required.

For marking waypoints I still used my eTrex. But in future I really just want one app for all of these functions and that is what we are working towards.

We welcome any feedback and suggestions, we have had some incredibly positive feedback on the Guide app, but we have a long list of improvements that we still need to include.

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    I answered Gregor in an offline mail, but would like to comment here as well.

Gregor is correct in saying that the Guide App (not Navigator) does not zoom right to the last zoom level. We intentionally left out the last two to keep the memory requirement of the Guide app acceptable. However we are already working on the next implementation of this technology which allows vector based tiles to be used. Without getting into the technical details, it essentially means that we save a lot of memory and will use that to include the last two zoom levels. Your next question will probably be when will this be released. I cannot say right now, we are already building those maps, but testing must still be doe to make sure everything is working properly.

We have also rewritten the Guide app from the ground app since the iOS version was launched. The new platform is already providing the Android version of the app. This will later be replacing the iOS one and from there onwards we have a single development platform.

Things like the scale bar is already addressed in the new platform. We are also working on an offline route calculation engine for this app. I have been doing live testing in the Karoo over the last two weeks and it works really well, but is far from being ready for release. It is however an indication of where we are heading with this app. We are also testing tracking at the same time.

My typical setup the last two weeks were Guide App on iPad Mini in the middle of the dash. My wife can then also use the Guide app to see what is around us, find places etc. On my side of the steering wheel I have my phone on a bracket with the Navigator app running. I use that mostly for checking time and distance to destinations and the odd navigation when required.

For marking waypoints I still used my eTrex. But in future I really just want one app for all of these functions and that is what we are working towards.

We welcome any feedback and suggestions, we have had some incredibly positive feedback on the Guide app, but we have a long list of improvements that we still need to include.

Kind Regards

I also replied in an offline mail, but also feel I have write a short reply the above explanation from Johann for any of the readers of Johann's reply. My complaints about the map is not a zoom level (although it would be nice to have a higher zoom level), but the problem that names of places on the map are not scalable, so at the highest zoom level, letters in names of places get huge and cover other things on the map. As it can bee sen below on the picture, on the left are printscreens from T4A web map, where names are scalable (get smaller when you zoom in) and you can see all the roads, and on the right are printscreens from iphone, where letters get huge and cover lots of roads and cross roads, so you cannot really see where you are (most of us are not interested whether they are in letter R or E in the word Moremi). Another issue is missing scale bar, I have not seen a proper map that does not have a scale bar.

Gregor

Name:  Maps.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  80.9 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Falstaf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaf View Post
    I also replied in an offline mail, but also feel I have write a short reply the above explanation from Johann for any of the readers of Johann's reply. My complaints about the map is not a zoom level (although it would be nice to have a higher zoom level), but the problem that names of places on the map are not scalable, so at the highest zoom level, letters in names of places get huge and cover other things on the map. As it can bee sen below on the picture, on the left are printscreens from T4A web map, where names are scalable (get smaller when you zoom in) and you can see all the roads, and on the right are printscreens from iphone, where letters get huge and cover lots of roads and cross roads, so you cannot really see where you are (most of us are not interested whether they are in letter R or E in the word Moremi). Another issue is missing scale bar, I have not seen a proper map that does not have a scale bar.

Gregor
    I agree with these comments. Had the same gripes now while trying to use it in Bots. A higher zoom level is definitely necessary and I look forward to that change along with the fixing of these other aspects.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Thanks for all the feedback!!
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

must the guide be downloaded and then must i buy a map?
    cus there is nothing when I downloaded the guide
    Pajero Gen2 1996 2.8TDi LWB

Quote Originally Posted by hogbeast View Post
    Yip! The maps are not free.
    Cruzer VX

Quote Originally Posted by hogbeast View Post
    A

Correct, the App is free, but then each countries map must be bought individually. A sample of a map is given with the downloaded App.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Hi Johan

I bought the t4a caska version , the Android version , tge garmin basemap version all complete map sets,are you saying to use the guide (functionality which Androis nav does not have) I must buy all the maps a third time?

Regards
    Rikus

Quote Originally Posted by AMacAfrica View Post
    I agree with these comments. Had the same gripes now while trying to use it in Bots. A higher zoom level is definitely necessary and I look forward to that change along with the fixing of these other aspects.
    The higher zoom level is definitely in development, but too soon to say when it will be released.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Rikus Viljoen View Post
    Hi Johan

I bought the t4a caska version , the Android version , tge garmin basemap version all complete map sets,are you saying to use the guide (functionality which Androis nav does not have) I must buy all the maps a third time?

Regards
    Rikus
    Hi Rikus,

The Guide App is a different product from the navigation app. If there was a way to pass on discounts on Play Store and App Store I would have done that for people who already have other products. However it is impossible to do this and most of these are sold via 3rd parties (the app stores are anonymous to us who publish). I can give you discounts on the Garmin compatible and Caska maps if you have one of them already, but there is no functionality to give a discount on the apps.

Sorry about that.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za