Cherokee Trading my Touareg for a Cherokee 3.2 - thoughts / advice?

Default Trading my Touareg for a Cherokee 3.2 - thoughts / advice?

Hi everyone.

I'm considering trading my 2011 Touareg V6 Tdi for a '14/'15 Cherokee AWD or Trailhawk. I love my Touareg and the great drive it comes with but I've liked the Cherokee since it came out, and the 6 year maintenance plan is very attractive now that the Treg's is finished.

What do you guys, as Jeep fans and enthusiasts, think of the Cherokee? Any issues or concerns I should know about?

I would love a Wrangler but at my price, maintenance plan options are limited and the fuel costs scare me.

Thanks
    Ty

Default Re: Trading my Touareg for a Cherokee 3.2 - thoughts / advice?

Interesting move. Will you not then have much reduced ground clearance with the Trailhawk?
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Default Trading my Touareg for a Cherokee 3.2 - thoughts / advice?

If you want to make this move, I would suggest Trailhawk Cherokee only. But still the Touareg is in a class with the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee is from the category below that, so you'll experience a few compromises. The Touareg is a great vehicle - the GC is more in line with that - the Touareg has better interior quality than the GC, the Jeep GC has better equipment for price and better 4x4 ability in standard form. The Touareg is just a lovely vehicle and I think a 'standard' Cherokee will be a slight let down after that, the Trailhawk may work, but size is somewhat smaller.

Cherokee is priced too close to Grand Cherokee in SA, but they sell well in USA. Maybe owners on the forum can give you better insight. Bartman on forum has both a Grand and regular Cherokee and give you comparison between two.

The 3.2 is a smaller 3.6 pentastar, and the engine is just lovely.

Beware the maintenance plan is 6 years, but warrenty only 3 years.
    Last edited by NS406; 2016/07/03 at 08:42 AM.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

Car magazine conducted a 20,000km test on the Cherokee and encountered gearbox issues. You should be able to pick up the test report on their website

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    Interesting move. Will you not then have much reduced ground clearance with the Trailhawk?
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. From what I've read, the Trailhawk does have lower ground clearance but only an inch or so. I don't think that will bother me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NS406 View Post
    Beware the maintenance plan is 6 years, but warrenty only 3 years
    Thanks NS406. I'll do some investigation to find out if I can extend the warranty. You're totally right, the GC would be much closer to my Treg but the prices are also way up there. I do worry about missing the luxury and intracicies of the Treg. Even at 5.5 years old, she's an amazing vehicle. That's probably why this isn't an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic V8 View Post
    Car magazine conducted a 20,000km test on the Cherokee and encountered gearbox issues. You should be able to pick up the test report on their website
    Thanks so much... I'll check it out.

If you do make this move, please keep us informed. Will be interesting to follow.

Have you done any quotes with extended motorplans with hollard or McCarthy etc? 2011 Tourareg is still a very good car compared to Cherokee 3.2.

I would suggest more homework on a Wrangler. Cheaper than the Trial Hawk and it has a proper gearbox. The fuel consumption is not drastically worse if you keep to legal speeds.

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

To be honest I'd love a Cherokee Trial Hawk for a bit of variation. But the price and that gearbox makes it a no-no. Sadly!

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

So, because of the gearbox issues, I've decided to stay away from the Cherokee.

I'm probably going to stay with the Treg but will, no doubt, keep my eye on the Wrangler pages of Autotrader and Carfind.

I had the Touareg V10 before, and I still believe that's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Had a wrangler before the V10, and when the V10 started with air suspension issues out of motor plan I dumped it. I went back to a wrangler again and started pimping it and love the wrangler as a toy. The kids love it for its cool factor....but as far as luxury, comfort, performance go it will never compare.

Did Lesotho now and it was more thirsty than I have ever been....and all those roads the Treg would have eaten for breakfast.

But I know I wouldn't have stood out from the crowd with the cool factor, big wheels, light bars and all that big kid stuff.

Ideal would be for wifey to have a treg, and you to have the wrangler as a toy.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU Sahara
    2006 Touareg V10 (Wifey's runaround)

Traitor!

Enjoy the shopping.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Traitor!

Enjoy the shopping.
    Ha ha, don't worry, I totally feel like one. The Treg is an amazing vehicle and I can't see me actually saying goodbye to it.

I'm working on trying to convince the GF to take the Treg so I can drive a Wrangler, but it ain't working. Something about the fuel bills, too big, etc...

I think a more likely outcome here is keep the Treg until I can convince myself upgrading to the 4.8 V8 TDi is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shauncorlett View Post
    I had the Touareg V10 before, and I still believe that's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Had a wrangler before the V10, and when the V10 started with air suspension issues out of motor plan I dumped it. I went back to a wrangler again and started pimping it and love the wrangler as a toy. The kids love it for its cool factor....but as far as luxury, comfort, performance go it will never compare.

Did Lesotho now and it was more thirsty than I have ever been....and all those roads the Treg would have eaten for breakfast.

But I know I wouldn't have stood out from the crowd with the cool factor, big wheels, light bars and all that big kid stuff.

Ideal would be for wifey to have a treg, and you to have the wrangler as a toy.
    Thanks for sharing - this helps a lot. I think the Treg will stay. Just have to find a way to add a Wrangler to the family.

Raymond sold his treg and got a Jeep.

I won't say anything. Just read the thread

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Missing-my-V10

wise decision in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Raymond sold his treg and got a Jeep.

I won't say anything. Just read the thread

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Missing-my-V10
    Marius, I was waiting for you to find this thread. 😁 Point taken, won't replace my Treg (with anything).

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    wise decision in my opinion.
    To keep the Treg or not to keep the Treg?