Camping in Mombasa, Kenia?

Default Camping in Mombasa, Kenia?

Hi all,

We are planning a 6 month trip through southern and eastern Africa starting end of July 2016.
    Our means of transport will me our Milady Landy, a 1980 series Land Rover we will ship from Holland to Walvis Bay.
    On my virtual Garmin-tour (Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenia, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and South Africa) I have now arrived in Mombasa, Kenia and am wondering of any camping facilities near that town.
    Any suggestions?
    Gert Jan ter Haar

Proud owner of Milady Landy
    Travel blog on www.miladylandy.nl
    Find us on Facebook.com/miladylandy

Default Re: Camping in Mombasa, Kenia?

As far as I know, there is no camping in Mombasa itself - and you wouldn't want to camp on the island anyway (too hot and too busy). The nearest camping places are:

Twiga Lodge and campsite, Tiwi Beach - south of Mombasa near the more famous Diani.
    Distant Relatives Eco-Lodge and Backpackers, Kilifi - about 60 kms north of Mombasa.

Please see Stan Weakley's blog at http://www.slowdonkey.com/content/ke...d-wednesday-23

Do you have Tracks4Africa? With that database and Basecamp it will aid your research enormously.

Also have a look at the Open Street Map. They have quite a high detail level.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-4.0539/39.6424
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    As far as I know, there is no camping in Mombasa itself - and you wouldn't want to camp on the island anyway (too hot and too busy). The nearest camping places are:

Twiga Lodge and campsite, Tiwi Beach - south of Mombasa near the more famous Diani.
    Distant Relatives Eco-Lodge and Backpackers, Kilifi - about 60 kms north of Mombasa.
    Yup, head south of Mombasa to Tiwi or Diani (Diani is full of big resorts, but there are campsites available as well).
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Ah, Tony, the days of camping at Jadini or Two Fishes are long since gone... Happy memories! Apparently, there is still a campsite at Diani, but it is some distance from the beach (in fact, I think the landward side of the beach road). As you will remember, camping at the Coast is extremely hot and one does want to be on the beach. Those mentioned above - Twiga Lodge at Tiwi, and the one at Kilifi are the only ones, apparently, that are on or above a beach.

Many of the hotels at Diani went bust some years ago - and some still derelict as mired in court cases. Though there are still some lovely functioning hotels on the beautiful Diani beach, and lots of private houses that can be rented.

Ah, Tony, the days of camping at Jadini or Two Fishes are long since gone... Happy memories! Apparently, there is still a campsite at Diani, but it is some distance from the beach (in fact, I think the landward side of the beach road). As you will remember, camping at the Coast is extremely hot and one does want to be on the beach. Those mentioned above - Twiga Lodge at Tiwi, and the one at Kilifi are the only ones, apparently, that are on or above a beach.

Many of the hotels at Diani went bust some years ago - and some still derelict as mired in court cases. Though there are still some lovely functioning hotels on the beautiful Diani beach, and lots of private houses that can be rented.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies, I will use them and T4A (and OpenStreet maps) of course to set out the route to Mombasa.
    Would Mombasa be worth the visit, (if we camp outside the city) by taxi of other public transport for a day?
    Gert Jan ter Haar

Ah, Tony, the days of camping at Jadini or Two Fishes are long since gone... Happy memories!
    Is Dan Trench still around?
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

No, Dan died many years ago. Jack too is dead, but not sure about Anne.

What a character Dan was - if a little afflicted in later years...

Gert: Mombasa is a historic port. Fort Jesus was built by the Portuguese between 1593 and 1596. The Old Town (like Lamu and Stone Town, Zanzibar) is also deeply historic and a good place to visit - the old dhow port and old customs buildings - and is just below Fort Jesus. The old colonial administrative area near Fort Jesus - Treasury Square - is interesting too. In the more modern parts of Mombasa is the bazaar and the old fruit and veg market, but otherwise Mombasa town is rather chaotic nowadays with heavy traffic.

Unless you have to drive yourself in Mombasa - and you probably will have to for getting to Diani on the Likoni Ferry - then if you want to visit the island, take a taxi (or a boda-boda motorbike taxi if you have nerves of steel).

On the north side of the island is Nyali which is an upmarket residential area. A good place to eat is the Tamarind either in their restaurant or take their dinner dhow cruise on Tudor Creek. The Tamarind overlooks Tudor Creek and the Old Town Mombasa. Delicious food.

As in all cities, keep your wits about you and don't venture down alleys and streets which are off the beaten track. And definitely no walking around at night on Mombasa Island.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Hi Gert,
    I think you put much too much on your itinerary for 6 months.

Mombasa? I don't feel its worth, for enjoying the atmosphere of a historic port etc. rather choose Dar es Salam.
    You can drive your self an there's plenty of campsites around at South Beach, hop over to Zanzibar, etc.

For my feeling Dar is much safer than Mombasa.

With all due respect, southerndreams, Dar es Salaam is a new city in comparison to Mombasa. Dar es Salaam was built between 1865 and 1866, and was never part of the medieval dhow trade from the Persian Gulf.

Mombasa's history goes back to Ibn Battuta who visited Mombasa in 1331, and Vasco da Gama landed here in 1498. It was one of the important trading centres along the East African coast. Lamu, Malindi, Mombasa in Kenya, and Tanga, Bagamoyo, Zanzibar, Kilwa Kisiwani in Tanzania are the historic trading ports.

Driving in Dar es Salaam is even worse than Mombasa with less historic things to see (apart from colonial buildings from both the German and British colonial periods). If you want history on the Tanzanian coast then Kilwa Kisiwani is fascinating and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Bagamoyo is also interesting, but it is blighted with budget tourism and the beaches are brown.

With all due respect, southerndreams, Dar es Salaam is a new city in comparison to Mombasa. Dar es Salaam was built between 1865 and 1866, and was never part of the medieval dhow trade from the Persian Gulf.

Mombasa's history goes back to Ibn Battuta who visited Mombasa in 1331, and Vasco da Gama landed here in 1498. It was one of the important trading centres along the East African coast. Lamu, Malindi, Mombasa in Kenya, and Tanga, Bagamoyo, Zanzibar, Kilwa Kisiwani in Tanzania are the historic trading ports.

Driving in Dar es Salaam is even worse than Mombasa with less historic things to see (apart from colonial buildings from both the German and British colonial periods). If you want history on the Tanzanian coast then Kilwa Kisiwani is fascinating and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Bagamoyo is also interesting, but it is blighted with budget tourism and the beaches are brown.
    I am more thinking about security aspects than on historic, for that I suggested Zanzibar.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Hi Gert,
    for enjoying the atmosphere of a historic port etc. rather choose Dar es Salam.
    As I said not historic...

As I said not historic...
    Hairsplitting now.

hop over to Zanzibar, etc.

Southerndreams and Wazungu Wawili, please don't fight over this issue, I was just asking ...
    As for the ambitious programme for 6 months, this is our wishlist and whatever we can do, we do, but matters may turn out different depending on conditions.

We have been to Dar es Salaam a number of times and I really don't wish to go there apart from the outskirts. Traffic is really busy throughout the day and there is not much to see. I think Zanzibar is nice to visit, but also we have been there and once is enough for me...
    Anyway we will visit friends in the neighbourhood (Mahaba beach) when we arrive in Tanzania and travel onwards towards the east to arrive in Kahama by the end of November. In Kahama our daughter will organise festivals around World Aids Day (December 1st) with her Gutz Foundation to create awareness and test young people for Aids/HIV.

But this is going off topic, we will see whatever we can see of Mombasa, the history attracts me.
    Gert Jan ter Haar