Africa trip

Thread: Africa trip

Default Africa trip

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and we are planning on relocating into Africa. We want to travel for a month, without to much of a set route and settle somewhere as farmers / traders and missionaries.
    So far we think that we would like to go up through Mozambique, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and Uganda. Just travel...
    We have a few questions and possibly a thousand more coming closer to the trip.

1. We need a cheap (plus minus R50k) old car to travel with. We have tents and would fit a roof rack as we would prefer not to use a trailer. The car needs to have space for the three kids in car seats, so three full seats with full seat belts and lots of room for baggage. I am very mechanically minded and can fix minor problems on the car myself. But something that is easy to work on and doesn't have to many electronics would be nice. Any suggestions? This is a car that would have to last for a while... We where looking at an old pajero V6 1997 model, older land rover discoveries and some land cruizers or 3 series land rovers. Petrol or diesel?

2. What would you take along on such a trip (looking for personal opinions) considering that we will be selling the contents of our house and only taking bare necessities, but wouldn't want to buy to many extras. So what do you consider MUST HAVE's. Eg extra spare wheel, winch (would a hand operated winch be good enough?), solar panels, gas, cooking utensils....

3. How easy is it to get clean water along the way? We will be taking water purification tablets and a filtration system.

4. How easy is it to find accommodation / camping places? Without booking in advance.

5. I read that we don't need visas to enter most countries, is this accurate? Do we need unabridged birth certificates (for the adults, kids have) and unabridged marriage certificates?

6. Extra taxes payable upon entry into different countries? Plus, which countries are known for their "special taxes" or bribes?

7. What spares would you take with for the car?

Default Re: Africa trip

Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post
    1. We need a cheap (plus minus R50k) old car to travel with. We where looking at an old pajero V6 1997 model, older land rover discoveries and some land cruizers or 3 series land rovers. Petrol or diesel?

2. What would you take along on such a trip (looking for personal opinions) considering that we will be selling the contents of our house and only taking bare necessities, but wouldn't want to buy to many extras. So what do you consider MUST HAVE's. Eg extra spare wheel, winch (would a hand operated winch be good enough?), solar panels, gas, cooking utensils....

3. How easy is it to get clean water along the way? We will be taking water purification tablets and a filtration system.

4. How easy is it to find accommodation / camping places? Without booking in advance.

5. I read that we don't need visas to enter most countries, is this accurate? Do we need unabridged birth certificates (for the adults, kids have) and unabridged marriage certificates?

6. Extra taxes payable upon entry into different countries? Plus, which countries are known for their "special taxes" or bribes?

1. I would avoid a Series III, too many things that can break. The other vehicles mentioned are all good choices.
    2. Keep it simple and light. I personally wouldn't fit a winch, but many other overlanders would disagree with me. With three kids, invest in a good canvas/Ripstop heavy duty dome tent.
    3. Most villages these days have at least a hand pump on a borehole. We only every travel with purification tablets and a filter.
    4. Very easy outside of the popular areas in Botswana, southern Mozambique over Christmas etc. Compile as thorough a list of spots as you can before leaving so that you have peace of mind on the road.
    5. You can buy whatever visas you might need en route, except for Ethiopia. The unabridged birth etc certificates are only, as far as I know, for leaving South Africa, but I stand open to correction. I've never been asked for a marriage certificate.
    6. Every country varies re taxes. Just refuse to pay bribes - I have never been forced to pay one. We just make jokes about it and stay polite, and the officials back down every time. Mozambique can get a bit nasty.
    7. Spares wise, carry those items that the car cannot move if they are broken - coil, water pump, fuel pump, fan belts etc etc.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Aux

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and we are planning on relocating into Africa. We want to travel for a month, without to much of a set route and settle somewhere as farmers / traders and missionaries.
    So far we think that we would like to go up through Mozambique, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and Uganda. Just travel...
    We have a few questions and possibly a thousand more coming closer to the trip.

1. We need a cheap (plus minus R50k) old car to travel with. We have tents and would fit a roof rack as we would prefer not to use a trailer. The car needs to have space for the three kids in car seats, so three full seats with full seat belts and lots of room for baggage. I am very mechanically minded and can fix minor problems on the car myself. But something that is easy to work on and doesn't have to many electronics would be nice. Any suggestions? This is a car that would have to last for a while... We where looking at an old pajero V6 1997 model, older land rover discoveries and some land cruizers or 3 series land rovers. Petrol or diesel?

In terms of vehicles...

at 50k, you won't see a Toyota worth having.

look at a Disco 1 - basically a Defender with electric windows and comfortable seats at 1/3 of the price (100" Defender Chassis under the body)

get a manual . The Tdis are all but indestructible, low consumption and reliable - but expensive to fix IF something goes wrong.

V8s... no more expensive really, heavy on juice. get a manual.

spares are very available , and tdi is pretty much interchangeable with the Defender on all parts.

for a trip like that... good tyres is first.

spares. Fliters, belts, hoses for a diesel. plugs, coils, wires, fuel pump etc on top of that if it's petrol.

then supplies, then tents and stuff - the other questions are certainly more Tony's bailiwick, I'd go with what he says!
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/06/18 at 04:51 PM.

From Appoc

"get a manual . The Tdis are all but indestructible, low consumption and reliable - but expensive to fix IF something goes wrong."

Nope
    Cheapest by far to fix

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Aux

Hi all.

I have found a 1993 discovery v8 manual. It already have a roofrack, watertanks jerrys with holders, gas bottle and holder and awning. It has 245532km on the clock. it is up for sale for R48k neg. Is it a good buy and what do i need to look for if i test drive it. He just spend 16k at land rover centurion on new mfc and other ods and ends. (Will show me the invoices)

Only September and October and then we will be on the road.

For excellent info on Africa, look at www.slowdonkey.com, a blog by Stan Weakley on their trip last year.
    The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
    Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
    Dzombo1 Ex Army LR TD upgraded to 200 Tdi
    Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300Tdi man
    Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC 3.0 Diesel a/t
    Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35
    Platkar 2017 Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Auto.
    Camping in a Bokwa.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dzombo4 For This Useful Post:

Aux

Sounds good so long as it is mechanically sound - the V8 engines are bullet proof. It will be heavy on fuel, but they are not particularly fussy about fuel quality, which is a plus. Awning is another plus as you will hit the rainy season at some stage.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2016/08/29 at 02:01 PM.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Aux

Hi all.

I have found a 1993 discovery v8 manual. It already have a roofrack, watertanks jerrys with holders, gas bottle and holder and awning. It has 245532km on the clock. it is up for sale for R48k neg. Is it a good buy and what do i need to look for if i test drive it. He just spend 16k at land rover centurion on new mfc and other ods and ends. (Will show me the invoices)

Only September and October and then we will be on the road.
    Consider taking it to a Landy Indie, Landyworx comes to mind, for the R 1000/1200 that you will pay for the inspection it will answer all of your questions.

You will know if it is worth buying and if you do, what may go wrong. they will probably know the common faults with the model and will be able to advise.

I bought my 1st 4x4 this way. Getting the extra's with the vehicle is a bonus, even if you pay a little over the odds.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2016/08/29 at 04:33 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I presume it is the 3.5l, which can literally run on any petrol you will find, leaded, unleaded, low octane, high octane. Carry some fuel filters as backup.
    Tony Weaver

So here is the car that needs to take use all the way. She is a 1996 discovery with 175532km on the clock. Now we need to get it kitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images