75W inverter enough power for a 65W laptop power supply

Default 75W inverter enough power for a 65W laptop power supply

I tested this setup for a minute or two and the laptop works. Could there be problems if one uses it for a few hours?
    Custom-built expedition platform: Land Rover Series III 109 Camper, 110 2.5l petrol engine with high compression head and oversize pistons, Series II non-sync crash gearbox. Electronic ignition, R6 deep-dish rims & mud-terrain tyres, extensive sound-deadening panels in engine bay and cabin, extensive all-round body, lights & undercarriage protection, safari roof with vents
    3 fuel tanks, 2 water tanks, built-in compressor, custom-designed roof rack with solar panels, waffle boards (bridging ladders), jerry cans, FrontRunner roof rack, dual battery system with 2 inverters, Awnings with walls all-round with skirts under vehicle, Engel freezer, gas stove, gas heater, built-in cupboards, double-bed conversion, solar shower, water purifier, removable security grids on all windows
    Uprated head lights, front & rear fog lights, LED spot lights, All LED -interior lights, All windows removable insulated panels
    winch hubs with cables, hi-lift jack, snow chains

Default Re: 75W inverter enough power for a 65W laptop power supply

Also, if an inverter doesn't have 3 prong socket, can one run a three prong plug on it with an adapter cable (like connected to a domestic 220V socket panel fastened to your vehicle?
    Custom-built expedition platform: Land Rover Series III 109 Camper, 110 2.5l petrol engine with high compression head and oversize pistons, Series II non-sync crash gearbox. Electronic ignition, R6 deep-dish rims & mud-terrain tyres, extensive sound-deadening panels in engine bay and cabin, extensive all-round body, lights & undercarriage protection, safari roof with vents
    3 fuel tanks, 2 water tanks, built-in compressor, custom-designed roof rack with solar panels, waffle boards (bridging ladders), jerry cans, FrontRunner roof rack, dual battery system with 2 inverters, Awnings with walls all-round with skirts under vehicle, Engel freezer, gas stove, gas heater, built-in cupboards, double-bed conversion, solar shower, water purifier, removable security grids on all windows
    Uprated head lights, front & rear fog lights, LED spot lights, All LED -interior lights, All windows removable insulated panels

I think your margin is dangerously small. Find out what percentage goes to waste in running the inverter, and then decide. In my opinion you are sailing too close to the wind.
    Last edited by Poen; 2016/06/18 at 08:21 PM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Surges and spurts will give you problems........go 150 or better still 300. Room for something extra if needed.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

75 Is going to fail on you I like Duncan's thinking. Still cheap enough and gives you a bit of a safety net
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

How much power does a laptop consume?

I would think if the laptop power supply is 65W, the actual draw from the laptop will be significamtly lower. No ways the boffins who designed the laptop will spec a power supply with the same output as the laptops consumption.

That 65 W power supply can simultaniously power AND CHARGE the laptop, with still a margin of safety.... Thus, with a charged laptop, the power supply will maybe 1 or so amps?

Look at the amp rating of the battery. Look how long it can run the laptop on battery alone. Devide Amp Hours of the battery by how many hours it can run. Multiply by 11 ( the volts) to get the Watts consumed...

Edit: Just checked my HP laptop. Got a 4200mAh battery, i.e. 4,2 amps, 10,8 Volt. That battery is good for 4 hours at least, so the draw is indeed 1A, at 11volts, so.... 11 Watts
    Last edited by Gert du Preez; 2016/06/18 at 09:14 PM.

When all is said and done here, there isn't enough info to make a decent comment or give accurate advice.

However, at a general level, a 75 W inverter is a toy that should be in a bottom drawer.

As mentioned above, get a 300W class inverter for the price of a cheap diner for two.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

This little Doxin has been working tirelessly for years. Powers a router, cell signal booster, laptop and the fan only spins when I switch on printer to standby.

From my Galaxy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brown marks on plug.....from heat or dirty fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Brown marks on plug.....from heat or dirty fingers?
    Marshmellows from the 90's

From my Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    This little Doxin has been working tirelessly for years. Powers a router, cell signal booster, laptop and the fan only spins when I switch on printer to standby.

From my Galaxy
    Using a Spar TOP's basket could have saved you a few Rands.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2016/06/19 at 06:19 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Guys on a more serious note. I have found the WACO inverters in the 300W class size from Outdoor Warehouse (and other suppliers) to be a rather safe and fair price buy.

Not saying they are the best or cheapest. Just a good safe bet for the average Joe who cant afford to make a mistake.

You just don't know what you are getting from Fong Kong malls or some internet suppliers.

----------
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2016/06/19 at 06:34 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If OP wants to use inside car, and ciggie plug is wired sufficiently, it may be worth looking at
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/23429...00W_1000W.html

...just check the same offering from other sellers, and INCLUDE SHIPPING when comparing prices.
    Last edited by Toccata (Roelof); 2016/06/19 at 07:43 PM.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    If OP wants to use inside car, and ciggie plug is wired sufficiently, it may be worth looking at
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/23429...00W_1000W.html

...just check the same offering from other sellers, and INCLUDE SHIPPING when comparing prices.
    Only problem with that combination unit is at 150w it draws about 12.5a, a lot of cars only have A 10 A fuse on the ciggie lighter circuit
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

...and I wouldn't risk a 20G laptop plugged into a R180 inverter ?

From my Galaxy

I actually have a 150W inverter (connected to starter battery) and a 800W inverter (cconnected to aux battery) in the Landy .

I bought the 75W one for my motorcycle to charge my laptop with. It is small and compact - looks like a cell phone charger (integrated with the 12V power plug). Just wanted to make sure - guess surges and spikes will be the problem as mentioned.

FYI, the 150W inverter cannot power a CTEK 7A AC charger, but a 230W inverter and bigger can.

I've done a few trip over the years, and this is my 2c worth ....

The smaller inverters, and especially the modified sine wave ones, are fine for charging batteries and the likes. On laptops I have noticed that the screen brightness varies constantly while the laptop runs directly from the inverter. A printer also does not operate smoothly if powered by a modified sine wave inverter.

In the Landy I changed to a 300W pure sine wave unit to overcome the abovementioned problems. In the Isuzu I now have a 180W pure sine wave unit, and it also works fine.

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Surges and spurts will give you problems........go 150 or better still 300. Room for something extra if needed.
    75W inverter will allow a surge of 150W for a short time, but I agree getting a bigger inverter is the better option. If you don't have the cash, use the 75W inverter, you might find it may outlast all expectations.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I always have the approach of over-speccing the supply.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by corlius View Post
    Also, if an inverter doesn't have 3 prong socket, can one run a three prong plug on it with an adapter cable (like connected to a domestic 220V socket panel fastened to your vehicle?

OOPS, this one slipped through.

One of my dislikes about Inverters, especially in vehicles is the lack of a coherent and safe earthing scheme.

The whole concept of Earth, Live and Neutral is down the drain, and no earth leakage system.

To make things worse, on cheaper inverters (ie non galvanically isolated), one of the 220V AC wires is indeed the vehicles earth or -12V if you will.

So please, only simple double insulated appliances and stay away from appliances with metal bodies like toasters, irons and kettles. There is no predicting what will happen if the element goes to ground.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4