Six hotels in Vilanculos have closed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Six hotels in Vilanculos have closed

"Six hotels in Vilanculos have closed and others have not paid salaries to the workers in six months, according to the Mozambican Hotel and Tourism Federation. The largest hotel in Inhambane, Barra Lodge, has dismissed 100 workers. Elsewhere, lodges have closed on the Quirimbas islands in the north and in the south in Bilene; the Pestana Inhaca Hotel is closed. (O Pais Economic supplement 10 June)
    Renamo's stepped up attacks and worsening economies throughout the region are blamed. But data released by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism gives a more mixed picture, with visitors down but tourists up. The peak year was 2012, with 2.2 million foreign visitors to Mozambique, of whom 1.45 mn were tourists. The total number of visitors has fallen steadily to 1.6 mn in 2015, of whom 1.16 mn were tourists. In 2015 the number of South Africa visitors hit a record, exceeding 1 mn for the first time. By contrast, US and European tourists were sharply down, to half their 2012 levels. Broadly the number of tourists and religious missionaries is up, while those arriving for business, conferences, and visiting friends and family is down. The number of visitors arriving by car is up, while those arriving by plane are down. Thus the number of higher spending US and European visitors is falling, while the number of South Africans who drive across the border but spend less is increasing. Tourist spending peaked in 2012 at $242 mn and had fallen in 2015 to $193 mn.
    The peak for foreigners staying in hotels was 2014 (333,801) which fell sharply in 2015 (to 256,077) with Inhambane, Sofala and Maputo city hardest hit, but Cabo Delgado and Nampula increasing. Tourism currently employs 58,000 people. Official data for 2011-5 are on http://bit.ly/1Xj76ib

( Joserph Hanlon )"
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2016/06/14 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: Six hotels in Vilanculos have closed

With all the KFC's that closed and the hotels that are closing and the only visitors are cheap skate Afrikaners the future for Mozambique looks bleak! And off course Renamo is also playing a role. As is the bribes to be paid at roadblocks.

You reap what you sow !

We have seen many reports about law enforcement (?) or other uniforms taking chances at soliciting bribes or simply harassing foreign tourist with fake traffic violation claims.
    This to the extent that I have also resorted not to return.
    I don't need this treatment as many surrounding countries are quite happy to accommodate me with my visitors.

So I am not surprised at the trend and hope the politicians will wake up to the call and arrange some change of mind set.

Pity that this has to happen as over time it was becoming easier to enter the country.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

A casualty already is a 4 night stay at Dugong for 14 people !!! This was a tour group organised by my son for next year.

Very sad as I know the locals would have scored handsomely from the rates charged.
    Last edited by duncang; 2016/06/14 at 07:34 PM.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    You reap what you sow !

We have seen many reports about law enforcement (?) or other uniforms taking chances at soliciting bribes or simply harassing foreign tourist with fake traffic violation claims.
    I don't need this treatment as many surrounding countries are quite happy to accommodate me with my visitors.

So I am not surprised at the trend and hope the politicians will wake up to the call and arrange some change of mind set.

Pity that this has to happen as over time it was becoming easier to enter the country.
    I agree
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

http://clubofmozambique.com/news/moz...lawian-trucks/

its no surprise really.
    We cancelled our planned trip because of the rebels.
    the corrupt cops also played a role in us deciding against going
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

Just to nitpick.
    The Thread title is misleading as the article does not refer to Vilanculos only.
    Barra Lodge in Inhambane is 300km away, for example.

Very soon we will have a flood of posts by people telling us that they have visited Moz since the Great Runderpest, they have never had any problems, it is all the fault of the person being extorted by thugs with AK's and that they enjoy the lower tourist numbers as it leaves more space for themselves.

As some one that frequently visited Guijata, Inhaca Island and owned timeshare in Bilene I can honestly say that Moz will NEVER see me again....

It seems I am not the only one that feels this way.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

They won't see us and have advised our friends to avoid the country.

Too many horror stories of harassing tourists!

You reap what you sow !

Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

It's partly because of treads and news articles like these that the tourist numbers have decreased.
    Very sad, loads of people have pumped a lot of money developing the coast for tourism and they are now losing everything.

It is 900km from the border to the Rio Save and very few tourists venture beyond Vilanculos anyway. Yes there has been issues with corruption but people pay up too easily in my opinion and this makes us easy targets.

I also think a lot of people are sometimes to an extent misinformed about the situation in the country and as a result cancel trips to the southern parts like Ponta to the mentioned Vilanculos.

The fact is that in terms of safety the South of the country remains unaffected by the Renamo led attacks and is still just as nice a place to spend a holiday as it were 20 years ago.

I wouldn't cancel a trip to Durban because there are riots and violent protests and attacks in Jozini / Hamanskraal..........

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    es there has been issues with corruption but people pay up too easily in my opinion and this makes us easy targets.
    Hi Pietsweis. I'd like to hear how you deal with the corrupt cops.
    We had two uniformed officers carrying AK47s approach us for stopping off the road, under a tree and not having our vehicle hazards on. They insisted we pay a fine or get arrested and taken to the station (where we would probably have to pay fines to the entire station instead of 2 officers).

After arguing for a bit we eventually settled to pay the "spot fine"
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

My 2cw .I do feel sorry for those that invested in Moz ,lodges , hotels ect .The biggest losers in this scenario is the local folk who needs the holiday makers to earn a living .These damn cops in uniform are paid by their government so whether they hassle holiday makers for a extra buck or not they still receive a salary at the end of the month .A few less holiday makers mean less pocket money for them for the rest its survival mode . Now i ask myself why would i put my family and friends life in jeopardy to go and holiday in Moz there are plenty beautiful places in the RSA so spend your money where it is welcome .Its easy to say ja you South Africans pay bribe money to easily but guys wait till the shoe is on the other foot and you face jail, abuse ,assault then your wallet will be produced like lightning .

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smarty For This Useful Post:

I wont go simply because of the reports here about extortion at roadblocks. Will never see my money. If the govt cannot provide a secure environment for tourists why should we visit. They lose more revenue as a whole for the country than what they gain through extortion. Sowing and reaping.

Sad to hear this. We have stayed at most of the places mentioned. We also decided after our last trip 3 years ago that we do not enjoy the atmosphere the cops create in the country after been harassed unnecessarily many times.

Now we spend our money in other Africa countries.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Barend For This Useful Post:

RE: the cops harassing tourists the tourism authorities are well aware but power less to intervene

here's an article about it from Oct 2015 from Prestigio- Moz Tourism and Business Magazine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

So I am not surprised at the trend and hope the politicians will wake up to the call and arrange some change of mind set.Pity that this has to happen as over time it was becoming easier to enter the country.
    Somehow I don't think you should be holding your breath.........

Henry

2010 Navara 2.5 D/C 4x4
    2019 VW T-Cross
    Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    RE: the cops harassing tourists the tourism authorities are well aware but power less to intervene

here's an article about it from Oct 2015 from Prestigio- Moz Tourism and Business Magazine
    That puts the case into proportion. Now let's just assume you have to spend an average of 20 minutes in one of those roadblocks (in case you argue the offence) that would be about 8 hours of time waste for the 300 kms - and most likely in the end you have to fork out the bribe anyway.

On the other hand, if you don't have the 8 hours and pay a spot fine, you possibly have spent the holiday allowance before you arrive at destination.

Sorry for the investors, but there can only be change from within (locals, tax payers and politicians), the pressure might rise over time.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Die$eL View Post
    Hi Pietsweis. I'd like to hear how you deal with the corrupt cops.
    We had two uniformed officers carrying AK47s approach us for stopping off the road, under a tree and not having our vehicle hazards on. They insisted we pay a fine or get arrested and taken to the station (where we would probably have to pay fines to the entire station instead of 2 officers).

After arguing for a bit we eventually settled to pay the "spot fine"
    Did you get an official receipt with the spot fine?

I always remove sunglasses, greet them and be friendly. Difficult sometimes to keep smiling and keep your cool when they try to intimidate you but as soon as you lost your temper that's it, you've lost.

The tactic of them wanting to take you to a Police station is what they do to make you think that you have big trouble now.
    I always agree to go and sort it out there.
    Never been taken..........
    The next guy will pay up so they want to stay at their posts.

Always insist on a receipt when you were wrong and paying a spot fine.
    If I was speeding (which has happened) I rather pay the 1000mt with written fine and receipt instead of the 500mt bribe they usually ask for.

I definitely dont know it all bit we as a family have been visiting Moz since 1993 till now, I have also been working in Mozambique, Maputo, Beira, Tete, Nacala, Nampula for a combined 7 years and have driven through all of the country's provinces and have NEVER payed a bribe.
    I have payed fines which I didn't agree with and got receipts for them but at least then they can't just pocket the money.

A country that I have briefly visited and wanted to go spend time in has now become a never go zone. Sad but ... it is what it is. If you believe its still a cool place, wait soon youll too become part of the stats and then ... Ill say, I told you so.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Southern Africa needs to free itself from the shackles of the so-called Liberation movements;
    Frelimo in Moz
    Swapo in Nam
    Zanu PF in Zim
    MPLA in Angola &
    ANC in SA

Only once these parties are removed will we see any improvement in Southern Africa.

To focus on corrupt cops or other localized issues is to ignore the big picture.

If the locals are going to suffer as a result, they know what to do...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast