ckgr trip report

Default ckgr trip report

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roads.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	406248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat eared foxes.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	406246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	40624727th-31st Ckgr

Left Gabs at 6am on the 27th and arrived at Rakops River Lodge at around 2.30pm 650km later. Road was lovely all the way, even with two gravel detours about 80km out of Serowe on road to Letlhakane. Rakops river campsite, was adequate, and the staff helpful, at P130/nt very reasonable, only there are no views of the river, with a big fence across, and the firewood I bought there was not 'motswiri' leadwood, but a soft acacia I'd say, but the bundles were huge at P20. Left at 5am for Matswere Gate, the road was fine, and arrived at about 630, and had to wake the guard. Barn owls roosting in the ladies, and one flew down and landed on me, so had to try and put it back on the wall. The road from Matswere was also not too bad, saw a spring hare on the way. Kori campsite was easy to find, and after setting up camp went to Deception valley loop, deception pan and the roads were alright, only large clay ridges that needed a little concentration to navigate. Bat eared foxes were everywhere, and really loved seeing them, together with secretary birds, burchells fowl, giraffe, mongoose, and the prevalent ground squirrels. First day was great, and next day went to Letiahau water hole - drive was quite easy, and varied wildlife. Had my hammock out for a midday siesta and the smells of the ckgr and birds are just a total heavenly break. Afternoon went to Leopard pan, and took the passarge valley turn by mistake, and had to make a quick return to avoid nightfall.. luckily saw a leopard on the way back, and lots of eagle owls on the road.
    Next morning one of the tyres was flat - and it was the valve, so changed that, and decided to take it easy and just go to sunday pan water hole and wait there.. but only wildebeest and gemsbok were having a go at eachother, the road to sunday pan via tau pan road was also rather sandy, and corrugated, more difficult than the leopard pan route, plus no animals whatsoever. Left sunday pan around 3.30 and about 5km from the campsite, got another puncture, and had been going a slow 15-20km missing all roots, but obviously not all of them. Got my mini air compressor and managed to get back to camp.. thank goodness I'd brought 2 spares! Anyway to calm my rather anxious mind, I had a go with the tyre repair kit on the second flat, what a joke! Those things are hellish. Anyway after covering myself with rubber and glue, eventually managed and had a lovely sleep with glue a predominant background smell. Next morning packed up, crossed fingers there would be no more punctures and travelled the 740km back to Gabs making it just after 730. Wheww.. not one I'll be doing alone again I think, but enjoyed it all...
    Last edited by jujube; 2016/06/02 at 04:10 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jujube For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ckgr trip report

More pictures please...more. enjoyed the read.

Thanks jujube, love getting my early morning fix all things CKGR. How busy was it with other travellers? and was it still pretty green after all the past rains?

Jy kan bly wees die hiŽnas het nie jou kamp gekry nie! Sou lekker gekuier het met jou koelhouers se inhoud.

Thanks for sharing. Quite a long trip for such a short time. Glad you enjoyed it.

It was very busy, almost all the kori campsites were full, and met a few sunday pan campers, so would say that side was almost full too. Still very green, and grass v high too, colours were really beautiful as they always are there. Wish the trip had been longer Rrabots and had planned to stay until the 1st, but with 2 flats I wasn't chancing it. Some more pics below:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southern black korhaan.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	406382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd flat.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	406383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burchells sandgrouse.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	406384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deception pan.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	406385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ground squirrels.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	406386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jackal.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	406387

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Wish the trip had been longer Rrabots and had planned to stay until the 1st, but with 2 flats I wasn't chancing it.
    Aah Jujube, I'm disappointed in you! Didn't we agree on a previous thread that a CKGR breakdown was an excellent excuse to avoid going back to Gabs?

Quote Originally Posted by RraBots View Post
    Aah Jujube, I'm disappointed in you! Didn't we agree on a previous thread that a CKGR breakdown was an excellent excuse to avoid going back to Gabs?
    Good reasoning RraBots 8)

Jujube, maybe we should meet here in Gabs and I could show you tyre repair with those snot plugs, done it a hundred times.

Thanks for the report, lovely trip albeit a bit rushed.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thanks would love the lesson, as off to Namibia end of July with another girl friend,, so i think one of us should do their car repair homework. My number is 75435290 - got the kit from builders warehouse - and can show you my rather crazy attempt at a fix.

Thanks Rrabots, maybe when I have a free tower friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Thanks would love the lesson, as off to Namibia end of July with another girl friend,, so i think one of us should do their car repair homework. My number is 75435290 - got the kit from builders warehouse - and can show you my rather crazy attempt at a fix.

Thanks Rrabots, maybe when I have a free tower friend.
    PM sent
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post: