Travelling from Livingstone to Kenya

Default Travelling from Livingstone to Kenya

Hi all,
    we are planning the follwoing trip and I would be grateful for any advise expecially regarding the legs from SLNP to Lundazi/Malawi boarder and on to Karonga. We just want to head through Malawi and into Tanzania. Any latest crossings into Tanzania from Malawi? Boarder issues?
    Day 3: Livingstone - Lusaka
    Day 5: Lusaka - Petauke
    Day 6: Petauke - Mfue SLNP
    Day 10: Mfue - Lundazi crossing into Malawi and possibliy Mzuzu if feasible)
    Day 11: Mzuzu - Karonga
    Day 12: Karonga - Kisolanza Tanzania
    Day 14: Kisolanza - Ruaha NP
    Day 18: Ruaha - Mikumi
    Day 19: Mikumi - Peponi
    Day 24: Peponi - Usambara Mountains
    Day 25: Usambara - Oliotokitok Kenya.

I have read Stans report (we met him last year in Moremi )

Thanks!

Default Re: Travelling from Livingstone to Kenya

Quote Originally Posted by monstercruiser View Post
    Hi all,
    we are planning the follwoing trip and I would be grateful for any advise expecially regarding the legs from SLNP to Lundazi/Malawi boarder and on to Karonga. We just want to head through Malawi and into Tanzania. Any latest crossings into Tanzania from Malawi? Boarder issues?
    Day 3: Livingstone - Lusaka.
    Day 5: Lusaka - Petauke
    Day 6: Petauke - Mfue SLNP
    Day 10: Mfue - Lundazi crossing into Malawi and possibliy Mzuzu if feasible)
    Day 11: Mzuzu - Karonga
    Day 12: Karonga - Kisolanza Tanzania
    Day 14: Kisolanza - Ruaha NP
    Day 18: Ruaha - Mikumi
    Day 19: Mikumi - Peponi
    Day 24: Peponi - Usambara Mountains
    Day 25: Usambara - Oliotokitok Kenya.

I have read Stans report (we met him last year in Moremi )

Thanks!

Greetings!

It is good to see that you are still very much in the travel Africa mode. This looks like a great schedule. As you know we did not go to Malawi on our last trip. From previous trips the border between Zambia and Malawi is pretty easy but slow.

On the road people told us that the border between Malawi and Tanzania was far quieter than the one between Tanzania and Zambia (Tundumu). I would not anticipate any problems at all.

Enjoy your planning and then also the trip.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you Stan! So gald to hear that you are back and safe in SA. It must have been overwhelming. Can you give us some general advice on Tanzania's roads, speed limits (I read that's an issue), the TanZam Highway, times, etc? I am trying to keep the daily hours on the roads at 6hrs. Our young man needs to stretch his legs inbetween. Thank you so much for your continued help to the travelling lot . You can also pm me if you prefer.

The open road speed limits are 100km/hr, however every little village has a speed limit of 50km/hr and this is where the laser speed traps are. Sometimes the speed signs or limits are not so clear. Slow down for every little village. Also the signs cancelling the speed restriction are often missing. Many self-drivers are caught. Where there are speed humps there will be a limit. The speed humps often have no warning signs so watch out.

How far you drive in a day is mostly determined by places to stay along the Great North Road. I summarized this is one of my last posts on www.slowdonkey.com, but mostly 400 - 600km/day, perhaps a little further if you are in a rush.

The Tanzam highway is in very good condition almost everywhere, in some areas there are even overtaking lanes. I found the drivers of the heavy trucks to be well mannered. Watch out for the large passenger busses they drive like hell.

The vehicles will use their indicators to show you when it is safe to overtake. Their driver's side (right) indicator flashing means unsafe to overtake and vice versa. Tree branches in the road means a broken down vehicle ahead.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Be sure to drive extremely carefull in Tanz, we had a fatel accident with a pedestrian when we came back 2nd January, guy ran over the road without looking from in front of a stationary bus.

We are off this Thursday, 26.5. with much delay and hopefully have all our data right. I would be grateful for any security tips regarding Malawi and Tanzania over the next 4 weeks should anybody hear anything new. Will post the route once I am at the computer - iPad is limited. Stan and Eric thank you for your posts and updates on your routes, they are invaluable. Especially the fact that credit cards are not accepted at filling stations in Malawi and Tanzania. Any further tips are very welcome.

In Tanzania especially we received regular reports of extortion and bribery from officials although we were very seldom on the receiving end.
    This is a complex card game the occasional official will play. If you are on the alert you should pick it up immediately and with tact, good organization and patience you should be able to avoid too much harassment.
    You will pick up the attitude immediately when on the alert. The official will come across as stern and unfriendly and after checking your documents will begin checking the vehicle for minor faults. Be very patient and relaxed and make sure you do not give the impression that you are in a rush or are intimidated. Remain friendly, greeting in Swahili "habari" or "jambo" as a hello greeting is a good start. Refer to him as Bwana (Mister) or officer and if it looks like it is going to be a while, alight from the vehicle and help him with his inspection. If possible give the impression that you are a seasoned African traveler. Divert his attention with friendly questions and remarks and if possible greet any other officials that are about. Above all give the impression that you have plenty of time on your hands.
    Ask him some relevant questions and be prepared to heap praise on his country. The commonest question is about your intended destination. On Fridays locals tell me the attempts at extortion increase as the officers attempt to get travelers to sponsor their weekend revelry.
    The newish Tanzanian president has come down hard on bribery and corruption and if it seems to be heading that way start to firmly dig in your heels.
    If in fact you have transgressed accept guilt immediately and explain that you have made a mistake but are normally a very law abiding person. If really desperate it may help to ask if the official is able to "forgive" you. If a fine is asked for, establish the amount in a friendly manner and then insist on a receipt.
    Just to emphasize that these encounters should be rare but if and when they do occur do not allow them to spoil your enjoyment of this lovely country.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan, thank you for this advice - we have "practised" this before

Here is our trip schedule - and also thank you to the other regular Overland contributors, Tom W. and Wazungu W. and everybody else.
    Attached Images Attached Images