Yellow fever and Botswana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yellow fever and Botswana

Has anyone else had this information or is it old news?

Default Re: Yellow fever and Botswana

It has a relatively recent date on it. Hope someone answers you soon.
    Defender 110 td5

So, based on this letter, you would need a yellow fever vaccination certificate upon return if you visit Livingstone from Kasane, even for a single day. We will use Kazungula ferry to go from Kasane to Livingstone for a day and night to visit the falls. Next day we intend to cross into Zimbabwe at Vic Falls, also for a day and night. Then from Zimbabwe back into Botswana again. At that point our passports will show the Zambia visa and according to this letter we should also have yellow fever vaccinations.

Anyone know if the staff at the borderpost know about this and adhere to it?
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

That is the case with all countries, unfortunately Botswana borders several countries where YF is endemic!

It has always been the case but recently there has been quite a few outbreaks, especially in Angola.

I'm pretty sure border officials will be quick to enforce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapitalk - now Free
    What a life!

Letter from the Botswana Ministry of Health and with a covering letter from the Chobe District Health Management Team, dated 18 May 2016 is as official as you can get.

This means that anyone entering Botswana from Zambia (or having travelled from further north) will need a valid Yellow Fever inoculation. Valid means inoculation less than 10 years ago and at least 10 days before entering Botswana.

Whether they are currently implementing this at present would be irrelevant to me. They may suddenly begin implementation on the day you need to enter. I would not take a chance.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Agree to the point that when entering Botswana from any border and coming from a YF infected country, you will have to produce a vaccine certificate.

It could be expected that even a day visit to Livingstone would fall under "visiting infected area" category.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Back to the doctor for more shots, it is than.
    Regards,
    Hans

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia

Hmm, so if I understand correctly, we can still go to visit Vic falls on Zimbabwean side (we have somewhat similar plans as Hans for the second half of august), but should not go to Zambia (my YF vaccination is more than 10 years old and kids have not been yet vaccinated) unless we get YF vaccinations..

Gregor

On cdc page http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/africa.html Zambia is still listed as no risk country.

Gregor

Just get the YF vac, it's for 10 years and you know you are sorted
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

You might as well get the full suite of shots! cholera, hepatitis A and B, tetanus, typhoid, Diphteria, polio, Pertusis (whopping cough), meningitis and of course yellow fever. Many of these have follow-up shots and most have different periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaf View Post
    On cdc page http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/africa.html Zambia is still listed as no risk country.

Gregor
    Not true

The western part of Zambia is still classified as low risk area. "Low risk" and "No risk" are different things and you go try convince an African border official who do not speak English that you where not in the North Western area, etc, etc...

Although not strictly required from Zambia, I would not take the chance and esp with a known outbreak. They will enforce.
    Last edited by Regard; 2016/05/24 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    Not true

The western part of Zambia is still classified as low risk area. "Low risk" and "No risk" are different things and you go try convince an African border official who do not speak English that you where not in the North Western area, etc, etc...

As far as I am aware you still need Yellow fever vac to return to either Bots and RSA from Zambia

A border official in Botswana not speaking English is a rare animal indeed. However I agree that they might not speak the same language as visitors expecting them to ignore regulations.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I Have just had a correspondence, from a reliable source, stating that my original post's attachments are a fake and the authorities are looking into the source.
    However as has been stated above in various threads it is prudent to have the various jabs just incase there is an outbreak and borders are closed once you have already embarked on your travels.

This is what I have received about this issue. Some confusion here

NO YELLOW FEVER CERTIFICATE REQUIRED
    It has come to our attention that a letter has been circulated by a Southern African DMC regarding the requirement of the Botswana government for any persons travelling from Zambia to Botswana to produce a Yellow Fever Certificate.
    At Bushtracks Africa we are aware of the fact that Zambia is NOT on the WHO affected lists. Due to this we launched our own investigation to confirm the authenticity of this letter. After personally contacting Dr Makuka, who's name appears at the bottom of the letter, he has confirmed in writing to us today that he was not aware of this documentation and that he had been impersonated by a private individual in the Tourism Field in Kasane and will now be addressing the issue with the necessary authorities.
    He has also confirmed that passengers travelling from Zambia to Botswana do NOT require a Yellow Fever Certificate and that Zambia is NOT on the affected WHO lists of countries that require Yellow Fever Vaccinations.
    Only passengers travelling from Angola or the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo) are required to produce proof of vaccination against the disease.
    Therefore: PASSENGERS TRAVELLING TO/FROM ZAMBIA DO NOT REQUIRE YELLOW FEVER CERTIFICATES

2014 Prado TX D4-D

" ..... he has confirmed in writing to us today that he was not aware of this documentation and that he had been impersonated by a private individual in the Tourism Field in Kasane....."

I just wonder where the gain would be in such an instance
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    " ..... he has confirmed in writing to us today that he was not aware of this documentation and that he had been impersonated by a private individual in the Tourism Field in Kasane....."

I just wonder where the gain would be in such an instance
    That was my first thought too. Why would anybody impersonate a doctor to have this letter confuse tourist industry, border staff, tourists etc. What is in it for such a person. Or is it just a general sick mind?
    Regards,
    Hans

I think the implication is that some kind of memo was supposed to be sent out but it was sent out too soon and with the wrong list of countries

2014 Prado TX D4-D

see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 Prado TX D4-D

So, de facto they say absolutely nothing new that has not been communicated before.

Then what was that mission all about apart from confusing an established routine?

If something then the Dr could at least admit his mistake and not try to shift the blame elsewhere.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast