Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.





Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Hey all you Dam Dirt bikers.


    I am looking at trading my 800 GSA for the New Honda Africa Twin, manual.


    Who has bought the new Africa Twin ?? Please give us your impressions !!
    Who has ridden one ?? Please give us your impressions !!


    Cheers
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Viking View Post
    Hey all you Dam Dirt bikers.


    I am looking at trading my 800 GSA for the New Honda Africa Twin, manual.


    Who has bought the new Africa Twin ?? Please give us your impressions !!
    Who has ridden one ?? Please give us your impressions !!


    Cheers
    I have an invite from Honda to test ride one this week, will let you know.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 SYM Citycom S300i
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 250d Avantgarde
    2012 Dethleffs Esprit Motor-home.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Grahamstown
    Age
    52
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Collected mine in Bloem and rode back to Grahamstown, lovely machine and really enjoying so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	404239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	362.4 KB 
ID:	404240  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
    Collected mine in Bloem and rode back to Grahamstown, lovely machine and really enjoying so far!

    Congrat's Edgy


    It looks really really good in those colours. Scratch that, it looks
    f&^#en awesome !!


    Those are not the standard tyre's !! What did you fit ??


    Did you get the Manual or DCT ??
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the ride ( specifically off-road ) !!
    Happy riding
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    49
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Rode some on one of the roadshow days. If I had the $$, buy it no problem. I'm not one of the most "adventurous" riders, not doing things sideways. But believe it has more than enough power and no issues with handling.
    Cheers, have a lekker day !!
    Riaan Breedt (4x4 rookie)
    ******************************
    Ford Ranger 2006 4.0 V6 4x4 D\Cab

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    I traded in my 800GSA 3 weeks ago on the new Africa twin. So far so good. Incredibly easy bike to handle. Feels very light, even though it isn't really. Traction control settings defaulting to max each time you start up an irritation as I prefer to handle it myself... But it's a great machine. A bit too perfect to be honest, so has no quirks, or perhaps a lack of personality. Exceptional handling wherever you go.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Hey Jason


    Congrat's !!


    Is the screen big enough to create a " bubble " when you at 120 + ?? Or is there still some buffering ??
    Have you had it in the dirt yet ?/ How does the front end compare to the GSA??


    Regards
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    12345
    Last edited by Cape Viking; 2016/05/24 at 03:56 PM.
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Viking View Post
    Hey Jason


    Congrat's !!


    Is the screen big enough to create a " bubble " when you at 120 + ?? Or is there still some buffering ??
    Have you had it in the dirt yet ?/ How does the front end compare to the GSA??


    Regards


    Front end is probably the biggest improvement over the GS. Truthfully, haven't had it on a proper offroad excursion yet beyond a dust road, but certainly has better offroad manners than the GS. Suspension is also a lot stiffer. The screen is amazing. I had my doubts but clears the air wonderfully even being so small.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Thinking of using it to do this years quads4quads event in September. Any other Africa twin takers?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Grahamstown
    Age
    52
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    I had the dealer fit Pirrelli Rally knobblies before i collected the bike as I will certainly be doing a fair amount off road and a knobblie tyre on the tar is less of a compromise than the other way around. The screen is the most effective Ive ever had on any bike(1.78m)
    I bought the manual with ABS and TC, so far on dirt the bike has seriously impressed me(Disable the above) but at this stage i havent done a "proper" adventure trip yet

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Hey Gents


    Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated. Keep it coming as and when you learn the bike more. Good and bad.


    Good point about the tyre's Edgy. I am not in a rush when I am on the tar anyway so all good.
    As for the constant re-set of the TC on re-start I guess that is something one will have to get use to ( part of the starting process when off-road )


    I am going to go test ride one. I am very happy with my GSA but I just love that Africa Twin and Honda !!I will report back after my test ride !


    Oh and if any-one has next week's lottery numbers please PM me.


    Cheers for now ........... and happy, safe riding !!
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    C.T.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Just test rode the New Africa Twin !! On road only about 60 Km !!


    Likes :


    The Engine is magnificent. WOW Uber impressed, smooth linear power, stronger than my GS everywhere, low down, mid range and top. and it
    " stands up " in first when asked to do so !! NO vibration at all !!


    Handling - it is 3 kg heavier than my GSA but it feels lighter to ride. Front end is much better than mine and off-road that 21 " front wheel and 230 mm fork travel will be better than the GS.


    Brakes - front brakes are way better than the GS, stronger and smoother !


    Comfort - very little buffering at speed ( good screen )


    Exhaust - even with the standard exhaust it sounds great, ( could be a little bit louder though )


    Dislikes :


    Riding position - The seat is not as comfortable as the GS and I find the foot peg's very close the seat ( I am 6'4 ) but I don't get that feeling on the GS.


    Foot pegs - are way to small for standing on ( this can be fixed ) but will cost a few Bob.


    Fuel tank - is only 18 litre's, my GSA has 24 Litre's !! For long trip's ( that I like to do ) this will require a bit more planning ( or an additional tank ) which is a pain in the neck or will cost a few more Bob.


    Instrumentation - I do not like the digital speedo and rev counter !! You cannot see them with a quick glance ( especially the rev counter ) I have always and will always prefer analog dials !!


    All round the new Honda is brilliant, the few things I don't like can be fixed ( except the dials ) but that one can learn to deal with.


    Who want to buy a BMW F 800 GS Adventure in perfect nic. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	094.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	404467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	093.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	404468  
    Cape Viking
    VW Amarok
    Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Umdloti
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,147

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    The new Africa Twin is the bike I'm aspiring to. Unfortunately I'll have to wait a bit as I'm just starting off riding, but you know what they say about those who wait.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Viking View Post
    Just test rode the New Africa Twin !! On road only about 60 Km !!


    Likes :


    The Engine is magnificent. WOW Uber impressed, smooth linear power, stronger than my GS everywhere, low down, mid range and top. and it
    " stands up " in first when asked to do so !! NO vibration at all !!


    Handling - it is 3 kg heavier than my GSA but it feels lighter to ride. Front end is much better than mine and off-road that 21 " front wheel and 230 mm fork travel will be better than the GS.


    Brakes - front brakes are way better than the GS, stronger and smoother !


    Comfort - very little buffering at speed ( good screen )


    Exhaust - even with the standard exhaust it sounds great, ( could be a little bit louder though )


    Dislikes :


    Riding position - The seat is not as comfortable as the GS and I find the foot peg's very close the seat ( I am 6'4 ) but I don't get that feeling on the GS.


    Foot pegs - are way to small for standing on ( this can be fixed ) but will cost a few Bob.


    Fuel tank - is only 18 litre's, my GSA has 24 Litre's !! For long trip's ( that I like to do ) this will require a bit more planning ( or an additional tank ) which is a pain in the neck or will cost a few more Bob.


    Instrumentation - I do not like the digital speedo and rev counter !! You cannot see them with a quick glance ( especially the rev counter ) I have always and will always prefer analog dials !!


    All round the new Honda is brilliant, the few things I don't like can be fixed ( except the dials ) but that one can learn to deal with.


    Who want to buy a BMW F 800 GS Adventure in perfect nic. LOL


    A perfect review of the pros and cons. I'm in agreement with all you said.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    I know this is old thread but I was just wondering who still owns the Africa Twin and wanted to know if your opinions changed from then to now after riding the Twin for a while? I'm busy getting the new Adventure Sport from Honda Centurion. Super excited can't wait....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Honda Africa Twin Review's - has any one ridden one or own one.

    I got my Africa Twin DCT in November 2017 and still enjoy riding it to work and back. Fuel consumption average 4.8 - 5.0 l/100km. On the open road I got 4.4l/100km recently but I think it's because it's ridden in now.

    2019 Ford Ranger 2.0 SiT XLT 4x4 10 spd
    2010 WK 3.0 CRD - GDE Eco Tune2005
    KJ 2.8CRD - previous2017
    Honda CRF1000D Africa Twin 2012
    Honda NC700X - previous

Similar Threads

  1. Bikes, Bikers? Africa Twin vs TDM850
    By Dirk in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2019/11/06, 09:26 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2010/11/09, 07:14 PM
  3. Open Spaces through Africa
    By Big Hilux in forum Overland advice, reports etc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2007/04/26, 02:55 PM
  4. New GPS data for darkest Africa
    By Dirk in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006/12/06, 12:32 PM
  5. Auto Africa show @ Nasrec
    By dcsmax in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2006/10/26, 09:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •