Brief trip to Serengeti and Ngorogoro

Default Brief trip to Serengeti and Ngorogoro

We are back from a fly in trip to Serengeti and Ngorogoro. We spent a day at Lake Manyara, three days in the Serengeti and a day in Ngorogoro. It was an incredible experience, we saw tree climbing lions, cheetah, leopard, elephant, two black rhino, hippo, a lone topi, hyena, dikdikkies, crocs, impala, buffalo, giraffe and of course many thousands of zebra and wildebeest.

I annex a few photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A5844.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	495.8 KB 
ID:	403400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A5929.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	403401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A6171.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	761.2 KB 
ID:	403402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A6433 111.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	403403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A6442.jpg 
Size:	848.6 KB 
ID:	403404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A6615.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	403405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A7141.jpg 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	403406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A7937.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	948.4 KB 
ID:	403407  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A8023.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	403408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360A7744.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	842.5 KB 
ID:	403409  

Default Re: Brief trip to Serengeti and Ngorogoro

Man oneday I hope I have the money to do something like that. Looks like an awesome trip

Thanks, we were probably next to each other. 4 of us in an Isuzu with a roof top tent. Only one around.
    2011 I30 Huyundai platcar
    2017 Ford Ranger D/Cab 2.2 TdCi XLS 4x4 Auto

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
    Peet Schultz

Nice shots particularly the cheetah!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Hi Erasmus, I plan to do a similar tour next week! Could you send me a detail of your tour with camps and driving times? Here my thread where I ask info.
    I would like to see with my own eyes exactly what's in your great pictures! It's one of my biggest dream since child!
    Cheers,
    Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by zanzobs View Post
    Hi Erasmus, I plan to do a similar tour next week! Could you send me a detail of your tour with camps and driving times? Here my thread where I ask info.
    I would like to see with my own eyes exactly what's in your great pictures! It's one of my biggest dream since child!
    Cheers,
    Paolo
    Hi Paolo

We joined an organised tour. We were 12 friends and were 6 to a game viewing vehicle. I will give you our itinerary but as we stayed in hotels it would not be of much help if you are doing a self drive tour. And it being an organised tour I did not spend much time in researching routes, times and spots where you will see animals etc.

Our first night after traveling from Cape Town-Johannesburg-Dar es Salaam-Arusha by plane was at Manyara Serena. The next morning was spend at Lake Manyara National Park and then we travelled via Ngorogoro (on the edge of the crater) to the Serengeti National Park and stayed at the Serengeti Serena. The drive took us about 4 hours.

The next two days was spend on full day game drives with lunch at picnic sites in the park. We returned to the hotel in the early evening. After three nights in Serengeti we travelled back to Ngorogoro to the Serena Hotel. The distance is not far but we took the whole day as we went on few detours to spots where the guides knew we would find animals. Lunch was also at a picnic sight next to the main entrance to Serengeti National Park.

The last day was spend in Ngorogoro crater and we left early afternoon for the drive back to Arusha.

In the Serengeti I will advise you to follow one of the safari vehicles, such as Leopard Tours, they are well branded and you will spot them all over the park. These vehicles have experienced guides who tend to know where one is likely to find animals. They are also in radio communication with the other guides and keep each other informed of sightings.

In Ngorogoro the wild life is so prolific that you will see a multitude of animals in every direction, no guide is necessary.

Hi Merwe, thanks a lot for the reply here too! The tour you described is exactly what I was thinking about (also see my reply in my post) that I changed after your suggests.
    So Manyara is ok half day and then heading to Serengeti in 4 hours is reasonable? In which part of Serengeti you stayed? We're self driving but not rooftent this year so I'm booking on booking.com, quite expensive, but spectacular places.
    Cheers
    Paolo

Lake Manyara to the entrance gate to the Serengeti, I would say, is not possible in 4 hours. Paying to transit the Ngorongoro might take about 2 hours - and ensure you are not doing this on a Sunday when the banks are closed. Merwe went with a safari operator who would have prepaid all the costs. They are also driving much faster than you or I would on these tracks.

Stunning photos! Thanks for sharing.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

Paolo

We stayed at the Serena at both Manyara and Serengeti. Our booking was done by the safari company. I assume they get massive discounts as they supply the hotel with a constant stream of customers. I know that the Serena's do not come cheap as I found out after doing a private booking at Serena Zanzibar. I see on the internet that there are other lodging available, maybe you can try them and also read the tripadvisor reports to assist you in making a choice.

WW

I may be wrong in suggesting four hours for the trip. We left Manyara late morning, had lunch at Serena and then continued to Serengeti. We arrived at the hotel shortly after sunset. We did not travel through the Ngorgorgo, we skirted along the southern rim of the crater. On the way we stopped numerous times to view animals, the large herds were in the section between the start of the Serengeti National Park and the entrance gate (Naabi Gate?).

You are correct we did not spend much time at the gates. With regard to speed, I thought that our guide was a very careful driver, we were passed by other safari vehicles and big supply trucks along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post

I may be wrong in suggesting four hours for the trip. We left Manyara late morning, had lunch at Serena and then continued to Serengeti. We arrived at the hotel shortly after sunset. We did not travel through the Ngorgorgo, we skirted along the southern rim of the crater.
    You didn't go into the Ngorongoro crater, but you were in the huge area of land which is the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. The NCA extends from near Karatu in the SE, to the Loliondo Game Reserve almost on the Kenyan border to the North, and in the west it marches with the Serengeti National Park.

Yes, the Serena group have lovely lodges, hotels and tented camps. The Serena lodge overlooking the Ngorongoro crater in the NCA has the most fabulous view.