Discovery 1 Diesel pump leak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discovery 1 Diesel pump leak

Hi everyone. Don't know who remembers my original post regarding my dear 300tdi disco 1 who tragically got a engine blown on my way back from Kosi Bay about a year ago...

As I'm a student the landy was repaired piece by piece now and is finally running again (sort of anyways).
    The dieselpump now leaks at the top end of the screw and I would like to know if any of you guys on the forum could give advise or perhaps know where I could get my hands on a spare one (reasonably priced).

Apparantly one can buy a new sealing kit as to replace the leaking one, but I am not sure as to the recalibration of the pump after this...
    Last edited by Turksvy; 2016/05/15 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: Discovery 1 Diesel pump leak

Is it the injector pump leaking at the diesel inlet pipe to injector pump if so it is just copper crush washers and easy to replace
    You also have a spill return pipe from injectors to pump and that also is the injector pump bleed off also has copper washers
    Check all pipes for damage first or washers leaking
    If it is the main housing on injector pump then pump has to come out to be fixed I am 100 sure
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Depending on the mileage it would've been wise to maybe do the injectors and pump as well. I made that (quite costly) mistake on a K2700. Assumed the motor was new (according to customer) but had run bearings. We overhauled the motor and since "the motor was new" didn't do the injectors. 1000km later we had a piston with a hole in it...sorry might be slightly off topic, but my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by Turksvy View Post
    Hi everyone. Don't know who remembers my original post regarding my dear 300tdi disco 1 who tragically got a engine blown on my way back from Kosi Bay about a year ago...

As I'm a student the landy was repaired piece by piece now and is finally running again (sort of anyways).
    The dieselpump now leaks at the top end of the screw and I would like to know if any of you guys on the forum could give advise or perhaps know where I could get my hands on a spare one (reasonably priced).

Apparantly one can buy a new sealing kit as to replace the leaking one, but I am not sure as to the recalibration of the pump after this...
    Hi

is it leaking at the top of the accelerator lever? If yes then that is bad news. There is a bushing in there that wears out over time.

The pump will have to come off, the bushing replaced and the pump will then have to be recalibrated.

You can take it to Wildaf Diesel in Hermanstad, Pretoria Diesel in Potgieter Street or to Northern Diesel. All three are good.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies... It indeed is leaking at the accelerator lever. @hgbosch - What damage to my wallet am I looking at?

hi

ca 7K -8.5K for a complete pump overhaul including calibration

For that cover bushing only you would still be looking at ca 4K.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2016/05/17 at 01:22 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies... It indeed is leaking at the accelerator lever. @hgbosch - What damage to my wallet am I looking at?
    They changed my bushes and calibrated pump also had to do some other work and cost me 2800 but I took out the pump and put it back in
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    They changed my bushes and calibrated pump also had to do some other work and cost me 2800 but I took out the pump and put it back in
    Aah, thats the only thing keeping me from driving "Snaartjie" again so will have to close my eyes and bite the bullet. Where did you take the pump to Clive?

Mine was done in Hugh's in PMB KZN but you are up country
    2005 Defender TD5

Just don't make the mistake to take it to Trucklec in PTA North as they messed up my tdi's pump. Bryan Cotton from (ex) Landyonline I know makes use of Rays Fuel Injection in Krugersdorp.

Good luck.

i use Nigel diesel
    they are very reasonable and very good

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Hi guys. Unfortunately it was indeed the bushing as HGBosch suspected. I had it taken to a BOsch agent in PTA North and the gentleman there replaced the bush and several seals. He did however state that recalibration was not neccesary.

Now with the "fixed" dieselpump, my dear old landy does not want to start as there is not enough pressure on the fuel line i suspect. If you open the bleed nut on the dieselfilter, airbubbles can be seen, also air bubbles on the fuel inlets on the diesel injectors. It seems that somewhere air is being sucked into the system.

So friends, could this be because of the diesel pump, or something else? Kind of getting really frustrated with this dear old landy - she's at this stage worse than a woman >_>

If you pump the little fuel lift pump near the oil filter she should squirt out
    If not new lift pump
    They arent that expensive and do go after a couple of years and east to replace

Already installed a new lift pump as well RossJ.

So If you pump it
    Or turn motor for 3 sec's ?

Just a thought are you sure that you connected the right fuel lines going to the injector pump .If you connect the return to the inlet you will get air in the system all the time My 2cw

Hi RossJ, If i crank motor diesel is pumped to the injectors. If the breather plug on filter is open, diesel is also pumped there...

@Smarty - I will go check and make sure but don't think that it is connected incorrectly.

Then u have diesel
    compression there ?
    can only be timing as these diesels are simple

did u undo one of the pipes into the injector to see as the 12 v solenoid on back of injector pump might not be getting signal to open

Once you put it all together did you undo all the pipe nuts to the injectors then crank engine over till diesal comes out then tighten nuts up and try again
    Is the 12v wire connected to the cut off switch on pump and with ignition on getting 12v on the wire

Did you make sure the flywheel, cam pulley and injector pump were all at there relevant timing marks
    2005 Defender TD5

Hi guys. Unfortunately it was indeed the bushing as HGBosch suspected. I had it taken to a BOsch agent in PTA North and the gentleman there replaced the bush and several seals. He did however state that recalibration was not neccesary.

Now with the "fixed" dieselpump, my dear old landy does not want to start as there is not enough pressure on the fuel line i suspect. If you open the bleed nut on the dieselfilter, airbubbles can be seen, also air bubbles on the fuel inlets on the diesel injectors. It seems that somewhere air is being sucked into the system.

So friends, could this be because of the diesel pump, or something else? Kind of getting really frustrated with this dear old landy - she's at this stage worse than a woman >_>
    Have you set up the pump timing, after you refitted the pump? This must be done correctly as otherwise you will be sitting with major drama.

Also did you make sure, that the fuel feed line from and to the lift pump were fitted correctly.

Something is amiss somewhere.

Good luck!
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast