Mabua or Khutse

Thread: Mabua or Khutse

Question Mabua or Khutse

Hi

If you were from Gauteng and had a week or so to travel for secluded, wild camping and game viewing would you do Mabua or Khutse?

I'm not sure what the best times of year is for game viewing in these areas or how far in advance you need to book each. I hear Mabua is becoming increasingly popular but is it that much different from Khutse?

What would you pick?

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

I would definitely go for Mabua! khutse is very nice, but in my opinion Mabua is magic. The large pans, it is hard to describe the speciality of the area, but the lions encounter you may witness, all together it is wonderful. Been to both places I don't find it hard to choose!

Rik

Default Re: Mabua or Khutse

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    ..., Mabua is magic. The large pans, it is hard to describe the speciality of the area ....

Rik

Kind of what I expected yeah. I'm looking for someone to articulate what makes the difference though

Mabua is about 12 months fully booked right? And Khutse?

If Mabua is full, is khutse a viable alternative?

Any times of year preferable at each?

Are the camps better at khutse, the environment, game, close encounters?

I havent ever been to either. Both are on my to do list. Cant do any soon. Very curious though!

Thanks Rik

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Khutse is a viable alternative, if Mabua is fully booked. However game seems to be more dispersed or scarce, but it is still nice.

I am not sure if Mabua is always booked out 12 months in advance, depends on the holiday season. Mpayathutlwa pan is most of the times fully booked due to big time lion encounters. Check threads on the forum and you will find out. Many stories about this.

There are others Mabua pans which are also popular like Khiding and Mabua pan. Also Monamodi is nice and lesholago.

Please consider any of the camps in Mabua is far better than the best day in the office.

Any time of year is good to go. Mid summer may be very hot. I prefer to go early winter time due to sunny and mild temperatures. But this is very personal.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Khutse is a viable alternative, if Mabua is fully booked. However game seems to be more dispersed or scarce, but it is still nice.

I am not sure if Mabua is always booked out 12 months in advance, depends on the holiday season. Mpayathutlwa pan is most of the times fully booked due to big time lion encounters. Check threads on the forum and you will find out. Many stories about this.

There are others Mabua pans which are also popular like Khiding and Mabua pan. Also Monamodi is nice and lesholago.

Please consider any of the camps in Mabua is far better than the best day in the office.

Any time of year is good to go. Mid summer may be very hot. I prefer to go early winter time due to sunny and mild temperatures. But this is very personal.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Thanks Rik

Thank you very much

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Pantoffel

Having been lucky enough to do Mabua about a dozen times - and maybe I have become jaded
    Only been through Khutse once - fleetingly - on my way to ckgr
    But it is definitely on my to do list for a week or more next time
    It depends on time of year for game / lions
    Also depends on what you want
    To me game numbers or the big 5 are not on my must see list anymore
    But I have been spoiled with other trips to bots

So Khutse is all bigfoot camps - twice the price of Mabua - but still cheap
    Khutse is easily reachable in a day from GP
    Fuel is available on route so that is one less hassle compared to Mabua planning

I dont think khutse should be secondary to mabua at all as a destination

Certainly dealing with bigfoot in terms of bookings is in my experience a gazillion times easier than mabua / dwnp

I have never been to Khutse but would love to go, I know I will like it.

And as Ross says, Khutse is not a secondary destination. I have however never struggled to book Mabua or with DWNP in general.

Also as said, it is what you want and what you focus on. We have stopped chasing all the big animal numbers long ago but focus on landscape and solitude. Thus places like Khutse and CKGR appeal to me sightly more than Mabua.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Lekhubu

The thing with khutse is unless you are going to do that track up to ckgr its kind of a dead end destination

So isnt easily included in a trip around bots

But my 1 night experience
    December 2011
    So got in at about 5 ish but still plenty light
    Out the next morning at 4:30

Within 500 metres see 3 lionesses hunting on a pan
    One had a collar on, which at the time I thought was a sad sight - the collar that is

So with that kind of luck I was sure that within 20 kilo's I would see the living dinosaurs

Instead my most memorable interaction was with 4 or 5 ostrich chick's
    The size of fully grown chickens
    who wouldnt get out of the tracks for I reckon a good 10 or even 20 kilo's

I stayed at a campsite not more than 10 kilo's from the gate

People at the gate were fantastic and even insisted that I test my Sat phone on their number to make sure I was safe for my ckgr leg

Yeah Ross, sure it is sort of a dead end out of the way destination.

But again it comes back to what stage of traveling and exploring you are. We have seen the Delta, Savuti, Chobe, Nxai, all the big names more than once. The "must see places". We now go back to the places we have truly fallen n love with, just because we can.

I think I will be able to spend two weeks in Khutse ( or CKGR) without seeing a single animal and still be content.

But I suppose that does not help the OP's question.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I have also never been to Khutsi so I will follow this thread with interest.
    I personally love CKGR for the solitude, and also really enjoyed Mabua .
    Lekhubu943 has hit the nail on the head for me , it's all about what you want to experience .
    On our last trip for instance, the one thing I missed is elephants. So for the next time we are including Moremi in our trip . Then we will head to CKGR again which I presume gives a similar experience to Khutsi ( forgive me if I'm wrong ).
    Mabua is a special place as it is relatively small but also relatively busy compared to CKGR (you might see 2 or 3 other vehicles per day )but I only met real true nature lovers there and it was nice to stop and chat with them , there is a camaraderie that I remember from the SA I grew up in . For me if you haven't been to either I would go to Mabuasehube first and if you get half a chance make it a circular route.
    Mabua , Nossob, Twee Rivieren and back home but this should take longer than a week . ( not suggesting you stay in those particular camps ) but the route is stunning, the drive from Mabua to Nossob is fabulous.
    I'm getting nostalgic ,
    Regards Henk

Thanks everyone

Nice discussion

Helping a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Hi Pantoffel,

I have never been to Khutse, and it is most certainly on my to do list. I've been to Mabua a few times and all i can say is WOW.

For me the remoteness of Mabua is magic in itself, I would say that Mpaya would be the best camp (in my opinion). But as mentioned there are other awesome camps as well. Mabua Pan is really nice and Lesholaogo is also very nice.

For me July to Sept are great times to go. Due to the lack of water in the area the game concentrate around the camps with water, which is why Mpaya has so many close encounters with lion.

Last year in 5 days at Mpaya 2, we saw Lion (in camp) every day/night. 2 Cheetah with a wildebeest kill. 2 leopard sightings, african Wild Cat, Brown hyena, Eland, Gemsbok, Sprongbok, Jackal kill a vulture at the waterhole, Lion kill a Brown hyena... All of this in 5 days. It really is a magical place. I booked Mpaya as soon as I returned for August this year.

I wouldn't say its always booked a year in advance, last year when we went, we booked about 4 weeks before we went. we had to move around a bit, but with just a RTT it wasn't a hassle.

Have a look at our trip report:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ua+trip+report

The win for me with Mabua, is that I leave home at 2am and by just after lunch you are in camp. FANTASTIC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donlux; 2016/05/14 at 03:24 PM.
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

Hi, been to both now very recently and found both very similar.
    Khutse much more expensive, but less crowded.
    Major factor, no water at Khutse camp sites and no A-frame shelter.
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber