Freelander 2: Which one to buy? - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,505
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Freelander II must be one of the most underrated and successful cars in its class.

    Oops nothing is in its class. Honestly. I cannot think of any car in this class that comes even close in terms of any aspect. Comfort, reliability, off road capability, economy, performance, reliability, well just about everything.

    Back to the original question. Its not quite fair to compare them. Two different generations.

    But if I have to. The TD4 feels more punchy, kinda like untamed wild horses. The SD4 more effortless and refined.

    And yes, I have driven both - Extensively.
    Isn't the SD4 basically a TD4 with a variable geometry turbo?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    45
    Posts
    566
    Thanked: 110

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Check gumtree. Theres an SD4 with 98,000 km for R210,000
    Freelander 2 i6 SE - loveeee iitttttt!
    650 V Strom - my trusty beast
    Honda XR400R - wanna play......
    Vespa - when you just have to be cool 8)
    GT Expert and Giant Anthen MTB's - keeping the tummy in check

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Age
    57
    Posts
    467
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Can only comment on my old FL2 TD4 I preferred the manual over the auto and can say it was awesome sold it on 230 000km 2yrs ago and it's still going strong!
    Attached Images Attached Images  


    1997 Land Rover DEFENDER 90 2.8i
    BFG AT's - Frontrunner Roofrack - Foxwing 270 Awning- Garmin 52LM-IPad T4A - CTEK 250S Dual battery system - OZ-TENT RV2 and Howling Moon1,4m Rooftop Tent - Cover Worx Visor covers - Melville & Moon seat covers Tuffstuff insurance....
    1997 Defender 90 2.8i
    2004 Defender 110 TD5 (sold)
    1999 Defender 90 TD5 (sold)
    2007 Freelander 2 (sold)
    2006 BMW E90 320D (sold)
    2005 POLO 1.9 TDI Swambo

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mauritius
    Age
    46
    Posts
    793
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    If your worried about clearance the oficial waiding depth of the freelander 2 is the same as the Defender, 500mm.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    353
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    The FL2 SD4 employs black magic as an additive in its combustion process. It is effortless under acceleration and then when you look at your fuel bill you wonder how it does it
    Nissan Sentra 160GX (105kw)(Sold)
    Mercedes-Benz C180K
    Yotota Fortuner 4.0V6 (Sold)
    Freelancer 2 SE
    PS Shogun

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Aftermarket warranty will help. I just had to replace the rear diff (complete bearing failure) at a cost of R26k

    Still love our FL2. Best vehicle I have ever had.

    Lookout for steering rack/pump issues as mentioned previously. get history via LR on the VIN and make the call from there.

    SD4 is more fuel efficient in spite of having more horses and newtons.

    checkout freel2.com for extensive (read: the most through FL2 site there is) information on the cars.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    28
    Posts
    105
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Aftermarket warranty will help. I just had to replace the rear diff (complete bearing failure) at a cost of R26k

    Still love our FL2. Best vehicle I have ever had.

    Lookout for steering rack/pump issues as mentioned previously. get history via LR on the VIN and make the call from there.

    SD4 is more fuel efficient in spite of having more horses and newtons.

    checkout freel2.com for extensive (read: the most through FL2 site there is) information on the cars.


    Did it give you any warning before it went?
    2009 Freelander SE TD4

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TKCruiser View Post
    Did it give you any warning before it went?
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure it did. Heard a whine for a while, but couldn't tell if it was tyres or something else honestly. then it stopped whining. then i heard the crunch on turns and had it checked out and replaced.

    perhaps if i had it checked earlier perhaps that it might have been repairable..
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,081
    Thanked: 2611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure it did. Heard a whine for a while, but couldn't tell if it was tyres or something else honestly. then it stopped whining. then i heard the crunch on turns and had it checked out and replaced.

    perhaps if i had it checked earlier perhaps that it might have been repairable..
    Thanks for all the replies - drove the SD4 this morning and it is a lovely car. But LR are trying one more fix on our TD4 before we make the final decision.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Aftermarket warranty will help. I just had to replace the rear diff (complete bearing failure) at a cost of R26k

    Still love our FL2. Best vehicle I have ever had.

    Lookout for steering rack/pump issues as mentioned previously. get history via LR on the VIN and make the call from there.

    SD4 is more fuel efficient in spite of having more horses and newtons.

    checkout freel2.com for extensive (read: the most through FL2 site there is) information on the cars.
    SNAP !!! Found out today my rear diff has also given up, after about 5 months of a slight drone to slowly getting louder, I thought it was rear wheel bearings but not the case.

    I didnt take out an extended warranty, my mileage is now on 132 000km, second hand diff is 9k & recon diff with 10 000km & 6 month warranty is 12k, I chose the recon one. Still labour to add on though.

    Douglash whats your mileage on now ?
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDYTD5 View Post
    SNAP !!! Found out today my rear diff has also given up, after about 5 months of a slight drone to slowly getting louder, I thought it was rear wheel bearings but not the case.

    I didnt take out an extended warranty, my mileage is now on 132 000km, second hand diff is 9k & recon diff with 10 000km & 6 month warranty is 12k, I chose the recon one. Still labour to add on though.

    Douglash whats your mileage on now ?
    I'm on 121k km right now.. Sorry to hear that bud.

    Recon diff from LR is 19k themselves so those are good prices.

    Remember to change the diff oil after 2k km of the new one being in.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,505
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDYTD5 View Post
    SNAP !!! Found out today my rear diff has also given up, after about 5 months of a slight drone to slowly getting louder, I thought it was rear wheel bearings but not the case.

    I didnt take out an extended warranty, my mileage is now on 132 000km, second hand diff is 9k & recon diff with 10 000km & 6 month warranty is 12k, I chose the recon one. Still labour to add on though.

    Douglash whats your mileage on now ?
    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    I'm on 121k km right now.. Sorry to hear that bud.

    Recon diff from LR is 19k themselves so those are good prices.

    Remember to change the diff oil after 2k km of the new one being in.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I understood the diff issue was sorted out post 2010? Seems not?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    I understood the diff issue was sorted out post 2010? Seems not?
    Seems to still be prevalent on some models.. So perhaps it's stock of the old diffs..

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    353
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    The diff problem is a pinion bearing. If you hear a whine on a FL2 let the dealer have a look. I heard mine and got away with a 6k Bill, Labour mostly. It is an awkward job which requires few dealer tools. So I let the dealer do it. Parts are quite cheap.

    I still have my bearing but never find the time to analyse it. It is a known problem and I had a fight with LR but they were adamant it is wear and tear. So if you hammer the car, it will fail under warranty and you are lucky If you drive carefully, it will fail a bit later...Like out of warranty.
    Nissan Sentra 160GX (105kw)(Sold)
    Mercedes-Benz C180K
    Yotota Fortuner 4.0V6 (Sold)
    Freelancer 2 SE
    PS Shogun

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Keurboomstrand
    Age
    70
    Posts
    636
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi Pieter, when you say diesel SE, is that the TD4?
    Yes Tony, it is the TD4. Official 2007, first registered 2008.
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2. Not my best - my only!

    2006 VW Jetta 5 2.0 Tdi

    Bush Lapa Vlooi - SOLD!


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Freelander 2: Which one to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    The diff problem is a pinion bearing. If you hear a whine on a FL2 let the dealer have a look. I heard mine and got away with a 6k Bill, Labour mostly. It is an awkward job which requires few dealer tools. So I let the dealer do it. Parts are quite cheap.

    I still have my bearing but never find the time to analyse it. It is a known problem and I had a fight with LR but they were adamant it is wear and tear. So if you hammer the car, it will fail under warranty and you are lucky If you drive carefully, it will fail a bit later...Like out of warranty.
    And since replacement/repair, any issues?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Freelander II
    By caltex in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012/12/14, 01:09 PM
  2. Buy the Bakkie you want too!!!!
    By Mike Nel GX in forum Ford & Mazda
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012/11/26, 06:28 PM
  3. V10 Touareg to buy or not to buy
    By Geelwortel in forum Volkswagen
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2010/08/23, 09:30 PM
  4. 2004+ Freelander
    By DeonS in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009/03/12, 09:34 AM
  5. Land Rover Freelander advise
    By mantichora in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2008/05/08, 05:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •