Land Cruiser build - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Land Cruiser build

What are your rpms in fourth when doing 120kph?

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    So I need to change the diff ratios on this cruiser. I got the standard 4.100 ratio in. I can hardly keep the cruiser in fourth gear at 120 and its killing me on fuel. I would have expected at least 4.5 to 5.5km/l but its struggling to give me 3.8km/l.

I have read some gear ratios of 4.88 and 5.11 in the diffs. How do I find these kits and can it fit in the cruiser?

This will be a solution right?

Do you want to lower the RPM`s in fourth.

Quick calculation shows about 3200rpm @ 120 in fourth
    Last edited by grips; 2017/01/18 at 01:31 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post

If oom Grips is correct, that motor should surely be producing enough horses to keep the Cruiser going at 120kph. I recall towing a heavy laden ORT and family out DuToits kloof doing 100kph in fifth (2500rpm) with such ease, it surprised me when the temp gauge went up. And during that trip to Addo via Baviaans, I got 6.8km/l ave, mostly doing 100-110kph. By far my worst consumption bar driving in town. Unladen, I consistently get 8-8.5km/l when doing 100-105kph [Twice traveled at 90-95 (2300rpm), both times got over 9.2km/l]. Pushing 115-120kph, consumption drops to 7-7.5km/l, and my RPM's sits at 3200-ish.

youtube clips

- looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    2015/02/19

I want to make the RPM higher not lower. The engine is lugging. Im not sure what the rpms are, the cruiser doesn't have a rev counter but the engine is a high revving engine and torque comes in later. I make 95km/h in second gear and then I change to third and it lugs a bit. I want low down power. I don't need to do 200km/h (the cruiser can do it).

Hi, I came across this thread as I am also looking into an engine for a 60 Series Land Cruiser station Wagon, I have noted the many opinions and suggestions, Gareth iv'e noticed you are based in MP, if I may ask is DJC doing your conversion? Thanx
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion

I want to make the RPM higher not lower. The engine is lugging. Im not sure what the rpms are, the cruiser doesn't have a rev counter but the engine is a high revving engine and torque comes in later. I make 95km/h in second gear and then I change to third and it lugs a bit. I want low down power. I don't need to do 200km/h (the cruiser can do it).
    You do not need a rev counter. If you have the gear ratios, diff ratio and tyre size, you will know exactly what you need to know. You do not have to guess.
    Last edited by biltong; 2017/01/20 at 06:32 PM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darraaz View Post
    Hi, I came across this thread as I am also looking into an engine for a 60 Series Land Cruiser station Wagon, I have noted the many opinions and suggestions, Gareth iv'e noticed you are based in MP, if I may ask is DJC doing your conversion? Thanx
    No it wasn't. It was done by a nut job in pta. Unless you understand the electrics and aren't going to go too far with the vehicle I wouldn't go for the lexus motor. My first choice would be a 1HD 4.2 Cruiser engine (the one with the turbo), second choice would be the 4.5 EFI motor. Or better yet sell the 60 series and buy something with the correct original engine in. Your mind will be at ease.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Thank You Gareth for the sound advice, did you install the Lexus engine? I'm asking cause you do not sound excited about the conversion... I hope it works out well for you at the end.. I was thinking of installing the 3uhz 4.3 V8 Vvti engine from lextreme that comes completely wired and apparently they even start it?! I am no fundi in conversions and my knowledge on these things is minimal... I have learnt through the generous knowledge shared by members that my choice of engine might not be the best either, I will not get much for the cruiser if I decide to sell in any case as it has no engine currently, will post some pics soon
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion

Thank You Gareth for the sound advice, did you install the Lexus engine? I'm asking cause you do not sound excited about the conversion... I hope it works out well for you at the end.. I was thinking of installing the 3uhz 4.3 V8 Vvti engine from lextreme that comes completely wired and apparently they even start it?! I am no fundi in conversions and my knowledge on these things is minimal... I have learnt through the generous knowledge shared by members that my choice of engine might not be the best either, I will not get much for the cruiser if I decide to sell in any case as it has no engine currently, will post some pics soon
    I suppose my vehicle is going alright now after a lot of issues. Even after putting an off road sump on the propshaft still hits the sump sometimes. If you want a strong reliable vehicle I feel there are better options.

For all the money and stress I could have forked out for a 24 valve 4.2 1HD-t motor.

Fuel consumption is a killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    You do not need a rev counter. If you have the gear ratios, diff ratio and tyre size, you will know exactly what you need to know. You do not have to guess.
    Had a go at it with a ratio calculator.
    Last edited by grips; 2017/01/22 at 05:38 AM.

When my son bought the Lexus Lux I was frowned upon when I said it does not have low down grunt by a friend.

He is a Lexus nut. He bought himself a old bakkie powered by a 351 Cleveland.

Sound like he is dumping the Lexus.

As said in numerous posts Lexus engines are nice.

I will not put a Lexus engine in a Cruiser. 4.5efi still the best Cruiser engine.

Two guys I know installed Chevy LS3 engines in Cruisers they does not stop smiling.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/ls3.html
    Last edited by grips; 2017/01/22 at 06:07 AM.

What about other cruisers with lexus's - are they all unhappy too?

I drive a LWB Pajero and know of several Pajero owners that are extremely happy in fitting the lexus motor in the Pajero. If the cruiser is considered too heavy, I can't believe that it is heavier than a Pajero with a braked ORT, packed for six people, with a family of six... just saying... Not claiming the lexus is the best solution for a Cruiser, but I don't think this motor is performing as it should - what does it do on a dyno?

Also, if gear ratios are in question, test with different tire sizes.

youtube clips

2015/02/19

Quote Originally Posted by larry007 View Post

I drive a LWB Pajero and know of several Pajero owners that are extremely happy in fitting the lexus motor in the Pajero. If the cruiser is considered too heavy, I can't believe that it is heavier than a Pajero with a braked ORT, packed for six people, with a family of six... just saying... Not claiming the lexus is the best solution for a Cruiser, but I don't think this motor is performing as it should - what does it do on a dyno?

To me the lexus has grunt and will work. 1st and 2nd gears are a lot of fun, even 3rd but 4th and 5th are too high. I need to rev the engine really high to change to 4th then the slightest uphill of head wind I cant hold 120.

Quote Originally Posted by larry007 View Post

Weight, ratios and engine torque curves can be a bitch. When I do a conversion I spend many hours calculating ratio`s to get it right. One lesson I have learned is what the performance figures says on paper does not always relate to real life performance.

Larry I agree with you the best would be to get the Cruiser on a dyno. I mean a 98kw 285nm 4.2D does fine in a Cruiser.
    On paper the IUZ is better than the 4.0l v6. I know that Toyota very seldom change gearbox ratios. What is the diff ratios on the 4.2D and v6.

Still remember the old 2F had a ratio around 3.72 and the diesel 4.1. What is the case with the newer models?

Like Larry said before spending cash on ratio`s run the engine on a dyno. Also fit a rev counter driving by ear can be deceiving.

Weight, ratios and engine torque curves can be a bitch. When I do a conversion I spend many hours calculating ratio`s to get it right. One lesson I have learned is what the performance figures says on paper does not always relate to real life performance.

Larry I agree with you the best would be to get the Cruiser on a dyno. I mean a 98kw 285nm 4.2D does fine in a Cruiser.
    On paper the IUZ is better than the 4.0l v6. I know that Toyota very seldom change gearbox ratios. What is the diff ratios on the 4.2D and v6.

Still remember the old 2F had a ratio around 3.72 and the diesel 4.1. What is the case with the newer models?

Like Larry said before spending cash on ratio`s run the engine on a dyno. Also fit a rev counter driving by ear can be deceiving.
    The only thing that I can find that is different is that the 4.2D compared to the V6 does have higher ratios in its gearbox.

The only thing that I can find that is different is that the 4.2D compared to the V6 does have higher ratios in its gearbox.
    See if you can put a size or two smaller wheels (borrow/beg) to test and see if it makes an improvement in fourth. If you are happy, you can easily work out the ratios for your final gearing and get the right stuff in, or at least very close.

Easier still, dyno it to ensure the motor and power delivery is good - I am still struggling to think the gearing is that long that the lexus can't maintain 120kph, but then again, you'll need to know your rpms as per Grips, else we are all guessing in the dark. Either way, a bit of effort is going to be had - strongs!!

youtube clips

2015/02/19

I have a FJ62 and looked into engine conversions at one stage, got advice from many wise people and the end result was i kept the engine i had, which is a 3F 4l Petrol engine... You have a 60 so i'd suggest finding a 2F or 3F petrol or the BJ60 or HJ60 if you're after diesel. I'd love the 4.5 EFI but i'd rather then sell the Fj62 and buy an 80 or 105 series. As you can see from Gareth's thread, the engine conversion idea is great, (POWER!!!) but the practicalities and costs can be a complete ball-ache...

If you are a master mechanic and fabricator and are going to enjoy doing all the work yourself i'd say by all means, go for it, but if not...
    "I am a hypocrite but i try not to be..."

Het dit. Ek vind dit interessant.

Normaalweg het alle 5 spoed boxe n 1:1 4de rat, met 1-3 wat nie vreeslik verskil om op einde met 4de van 1:1 te kry.

5de is gewoonlik 0.75-0.85:1, maar daardie bietjie verskil daar maak nie regtig saak, want mens gear af na die 1:1 ratio van 4de.

Is die verskil nie gewoontlik maar net op die diffs tussen diesel en petrol nie?
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

0.881 teenoor 0.838 :1 tussen v6 en 4.2 diesel
    Selfde diffratio
    Name:  IMG_9270.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  94.2 KB

Is net mooi 1 bandsize verskil in rario's in 5de...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5