Drowned Korando

Thread: Drowned Korando

Default Drowned Korando

i dont know if i over looked a similar post

but has anyone delt with a Drowned 2.9 Korando?
    Mine Stolled in an unexpected hole in the concrete and flooded the air box and ran water up the exhaust.
    it did however start and idled for a few seconds after and now its dead.
    glow plugs light doesnt come on. and not even a run start works.

im rather sad as its a great cabbie. after sorting its first problems its been doing great

Default Re: Drowned Korando

I wasn't able top drown mine when I had it, so you must have tried really hard.

Why don't you undo the battery and open all the electronics and dry them with an air gun and leave them open to dry maybe the damage is not that bad, hopefully nothing too serious.

Have you tried feeling if the air actually exhausts when trying to start it.

Like the prank when young ones were still able to prank and put a potato up the ol' exhaust scenario whereby the engine will turn but nothing will happen.
    Isuzu KB 250 4x4 D-teq OME suspension

Yes these 4x4 are as tuff as nails and the merc engine is even tougher.
    the electronics were dry except for the starter and alternator.
    The nose dipped into a hole and flooded up to the front light.
    where the rear of the car was at the recommend wading depth.
    but will go thru the ellecs tomorrow when its nice and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie195 View Post
    i dont know if i over looked a similar post

but has anyone delt with a Drowned 2.9 Korando?
    Mine Stolled in an unexpected hole in the concrete and flooded the air box and ran water up the exhaust.
    it did however start and idled for a few seconds after and now its dead.
    glow plugs light doesnt come on. and not even a run start works.

im rather sad as its a great cabbie. after sorting its first problems its been doing great

While I know nothing about diesel Korando engines... I do knw a bit about drowning a vehicle. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=245999

Does the engine turn at all? If not, it could be hydrolocked...

Where is the ECU located, and did it stay dry?

Where is all the engine management relays located? They don't like water either...
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Oppers, if he had hydro locked and turned it over the way he explained, he has bent the con rods.

Very difficult to get any diesel motor going when the compression has dropped to 10-12 bar, ask me, I've also drowned a motor.

I wish more people will do some preventative learning as to what goes down in an engine when you drown it. There are things that you DON'T want to do during and after removing the car from the water.

If the engine died in the water, NEVER try starting it untill you you have "looked" to see if you have water in cylinders.

Anything you do besides by hand, can cause damage. Turning a starter on a hydro lock will bend con rods.

Besides, you need to disconnect the battery to prevent shorting in any electronics. You just about want to do this before anything else.

I was already pulling fuses from under the dash when I was still in the water, it saved my radio, which still worked a month later when we put the car back together.

I think one of the "forum experts" has put a thread together, not sure, and can't search on this phone.

I hope you get your trokkie sorted out and that its not that big of a problem.

Goodluck, and keep us updated please.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

[QUOTE=bfreesani;3222759]Oppers, if he had hydro locked and turned it over the way he explained, he has bent the con rods.

Very difficult to get any diesel motor going when the compression has dropped to 10-12 bar, ask me, I've also drowned a motor.

IT is true and a real possibility that the engine could have hydrolocked.

To check this, take out the glow plugs and test compression, these motors use a pre-combustion chamber where the glow plugs are situated,
    TAKE NOTE they can be difficult to remove.

If you are sure you did not inhale water through the intake you can bank on electronics.

Had to rebuild my motor after someone else playing in the snow in Lesotho overheated the motor by over revving.

After allowing my engine to cool down by towing it back to our place we stayed at I left it until the next morning after which I had to open the injector pipes to release the airlock in the injection system.

Maybe slightly loosen the injector pipes and let someone turn the motor over and if you don't get a good squirt at the nut side keep going until you get good diesel flow.

Maybe it gulped some air when you were in the water at an angle. Not sure at what angle you were.
    Isuzu KB 250 4x4 D-teq OME suspension

BefreeSani you might be spot on with the low compression. as it swings at the moment with the almost starting sound every few seconds.
    But its getting picked up and assessed today or tomorrow.
    the i will post the updates
    Fingers crossed theres water in the diesel and just doesnt want to start due to dead glow plugs

But the were well designed with all the important electronics out of flooding level. Relay box, fuses and injector pump well dry.
    Last edited by Bennie195; 2016/05/11 at 10:00 AM.

Watch the insurance company... My claim went something like this....

Pick up my Sani the day after I report the incedent. Sani still drives itself onto the flatbed. They take it across town to Benoni and start stripping.

I'm already peeved as a compression test and test for oil and water mixing could have told us a lot in a matter of a day or two, compared to the labour charges and time taken to strip everything down.

Then the calls start coming in from no less than three "representatives" to ask me silly questions, like what competition was I partaking in. Was it a timed event. Where are my admission papers into the trail.

Trying to find a hole to repudiate the claim. I sent them the GPS coordinates of the incedent as it was part of a marked road on the Garmin in those days.

Then the next thing, I get a call from ABSA requesting final settlement as they have been informed the vehicle has been written off.

Call insurance company and get told they stopped working on the quote when it hit R60k. This included a 34k sub assembly, new turbo, and various other spares direct drom Nissan.

Also told me that they have not even started stripping gearbox and diffs and the electronics, so they just writing it off.

I tell them I don't want that, and will rather fix myself. They refuse this option and just as I am about to withdraw the claim and fetch the car from the workshop, I happen to speak to my Ex's boss who is one of the heavies in the insurance industry.

Tells me that cash settlement is always an option and gets his cousin (no one less than George Fivas, ex commissioner of police) and his partner, who own an insurance investigations company, to draft a letter to the claims main knob at my insurance company.

Also send my own mechanics quote to fix, and offer them indemnity to any further claims that could arise from this incedent, for one year, with a full list from radio down to diffs and even window electronics.

While they haggled the finer points, I picked up my van at the shop and started stripping as they had locked it all up without even starting a drying process.

So three weeks of frotting mats does not smell good and had to be removed ASAP.

End of week three I get a deposit of just over R30k to fix the vehicle.

Got it done for R15k with an import motor which stil lives today in my van.

All I have lost since March 2008 that I could possibly say was due to the water, is one electric window winder, car radio cd player stopped ejecting cds, and my winscreen wiper relay stopped working on intermittent setting.

Of course this entire story is written for nothing if you are insured with Tuff Stuff. Raymond and his team know their stuff.

By the way, as I had virtually no cover from the insurance company, I decided to move to another, but then could find no company willing to take the vehicle in the "state" it was in.

For a year I had ABSA on my case because a financed vehicle must be covered, but they themselves would not cover it...Go figure.

Looking forward to hear some feedback from your side. Goodluck.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Thank you for that advice. and i fear its gona go that way aswell.
    but going to have a chat to the guy before they start stripping my car. i want an compression test done and a look over the electronics.
    and i will argue not to write it off. i will rather drop the clain and diy fix my glow plugs and elecs. i got an qualified mac that can help over the odd weekend

So results for my drowned Korando.

like a week to get picked up...
    two weeks to find and fix most problems... with no water coming into the motor or fuel
    the main problems was the mobilizer that blew out getting no ellec to the fuel pump and resulting the problem that it wouldnt start.
    so by bypassing that it started great. followd by an complete oil change, diffs, gbox engine and transfer box.

BUT one major problem still at hand my alternator doesnt charge when idling. but at higher rps it does...

so if anyone could point me where to find an alternator asap. like before next week i would appreciate it.
    The 2.9td musso has a different alternator to the korando. and korean boyz dont have any avail.

I got a guy here in CT that repairs alternators, no problems thus far. Try and find one of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    I got a guy here in CT that repairs alternators, no problems thus far. Try and find one of those...
    the guy fixing my car. his going to take it to a somebody similar tomorrow. im just trying to speed things up. and finding a new one

So my main problem is still finding an alternator... seems like this model (attached in pics) are very scares to get
    been phoning around from best parts & Korean boys with no luck.
    Anybody with some help will be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160612-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	408418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160612-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	408419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160612-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	408420

http://www.koreanmotor.co.za/Our-Products/
    https://www.facebook.com/SeoulKMS/
    http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6417774/mercedesbenz-a6621543202.html
    http://autocosmos.co.za/
    Last edited by William62; 2016/07/25 at 02:22 PM.