Jeep Wrangler 4 door Auto Petrol vs. Diesel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jeep Wrangler 4 door Auto Petrol vs. Diesel

Hi All

I am selling my Isuzu to buy a Jeep Wrangler 4 door automatic. The thing is I am not sure which one to buy between the 3.8 Sahara and 2.8CRD Sahara.

Some parameters:

1. Travel about 5000km monthly
    2. Plan to keep the vehicle until about 200,000km
    3. Dont tow anything unreasonably heavy
    4. Only go off-road during holidays hence no mods
    5. Need a descent bit of speed for all the driving I do

Any advise as to which one to purchase is highly appreciated. Can the R40,000 price difference be honestly justified? How big a difference is the fuel consumption between the two and most importantly the overall cost of ownership?
    Wrangler Unlimited CRD, Zone Offroad 3" lift, Daystar hood latches, JKA bumper, Spots,

do jourself a favour and test drive the jeep. u will love the automatic and my pesonal opinion is that the diesel and the auto is an awesome combo. i have not driven the v6 with an auto, only manual and it was ok but the diesel was horribal with the manual BUT with the auto the diesel was an absolute blast to drive. i would (and probably will) go for the diesel auto.
    oh ja and before i forget welcome to jeep. u will love every moment.

regards

werner
    V51JP
    Namboyz Rule

the diesel is light on juice, aparrently 10 if you dont drive like a previously disadvantaged [hehe]. The petrol can go to 6km/l if you drive like a taxi driver trying to do 10 jhb to durbs trips in a day! 40k is a lot a bucks and wont justify I think. The diesels are VERY expensive to fix. Offroad the petrol is better [rubicon just in petrol]............at all depends who pays the fuel bill, your boss?? buy the petrol. I think its a amazing vehicle! Jeeps are very capable and like to crawl but cant take the hammering the japscrap can imho .
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Thanks Gents!

I will only get a chance to test drive any of them when I am back in Jozi. Currently in Botswana. 6km/l sounds kind of heavy and I am paying the fuel and dont have a second vehicle.

Anyone else getting anything different/better from their petrol wrangler's?
    Wrangler Unlimited CRD, Zone Offroad 3" lift, Daystar hood latches, JKA bumper, Spots,

Default petrol v diesel

You don't buy a Wrangler for fuel consumption ! ! !

The diesel Sahara is the better on road cruiser of the two engines, and the diesel has a five speed auto verses the petrols four speed autobox, but rather search your soul and more, whether and why you want a Wrangler, sounds like you are going to spend lots of time on the black top.

Joenel
    3,8 Rubicon and addicted to it.

I don't drive a jeep, but for what it's worth, it will take a lot to convince me to buy a petrol car after driving diesels for more than a year. A diesel is a totally different drive and very comfortable, few gear changes, etc. Even if a dieselk and petrol used exactly the same amount of fuel I would still drive a diesel. Just my 2c

I would recommend take both for a test drive and buy the one that you are most comfortable with. If you decide on the diesel, read up on diesel driving style and look after it - if you do from the start it will definately look after you
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

I have the 3.8 V6 4 door Sahara 4 speed auto. its a great Jeep and enjoy driving it over the 3.8 V6 2 door Rubicon 6 speed manual. The auto is smooth and changes really well. this is how i see things with regards to the two as well as to the diesel.

The Sahara 4 speed auto is NOT correctly geared for our driving conditions in SA if you stick to the US speed limits and drive as if you on holiday its great and you'll run it at around 15.5 to 16 l/100km (forget about free way driving for now, even a tank uses less fuel on the open road!) if you rush the 4 speed you will run around 17 to 18 l/100km i have done 18000 km now so id safely say thats how it is.

The 2 door Rubicon 6 speed is well geared and is a pleasure to drive (i just enjoy sitting back in the auto) and have a lot of get up and go! the fuel it uses is around 15 l/100km driving it at normal driving conditions, you can drive it like you on holiday and go as low as 12.5 l/100km. the Rubicon has done 5000km now.

Now this is were id say the diesel if its an auto you want! on the open road if you try keep the 4 speed at 120km/h with a load you will get your self all word up!!!!! it just cant do it with out revving the hell out of it it will slow down to 110 km/h and change to 2nd pushing your rpm to 5000! oh and it will stay there so you need to slow down to 100 km/h so it will change up to third, and there you sit till the top of the hill! The gearing is to long at 3.2 the 4 speed Rubicon is a lot better with its 4.1 ratio's. I'm looking at changing to 4.5 or 4.8. The diesel has a 5 speed and is well gear for our speed limits so you dont have that problem at all, so id say if its the auto you want and you are not looking at the cost difference then go with the diesel! look after it so you dont end up with high repair costs later, after 200000km the cost of the diesel vs petrol is much the same its just how you feel about the drivable of the Jeep?

I had a CRD KJ and sold it at 50000km it cost me more to own than at V6 would have. Id say the debate between have a diesel or petrol will raged on until they sell the diesel at the same price as the petrol, when its a no brainer as what to go for!

Maybe we should all do the math here and see what would be cheaper to have over the 200000km's of ownership?
    Last edited by ShaneJKA; 2008/10/20 at 08:41 AM.

Hey Previously Disadvantaged

I have the Sahara CRD and in town get 12,5L per 100km and on the open road had it down to 9,5L. I love the power of the diesel and towing a heavy trailer at 110km/h it ticks over at 1800rpm. It is my first auto and I'll never go back to manual. Hold on to the wheel, foot on the gas and the Jeep just climbs over every obsatcle. After a 100 000km you will service it once for nearly every two times that you have to service the petrol. I think if you drive it for a long time you will break even.
    Jacques Pienaar

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara CRD
    Peugeot 5008 (Swambo's)
    Lycan 29"MTB 27spd (When I'm broke)
    Jurgens XT140

Thanks Jacques...

The government decided to rename us to previously disadvanteg so I am just complying...

It looks like I will have to settle for a demo 2.8CRD auto or at least a low mileage one seeing that at R340k for new one I may be over-extending myself.

9,5L/100km is less than what I was getting on the Honda which is an 1800

Can anyone recommend a particular dealership? I am in Jozi Bedford Gardens

Mate if you can get a demo CRD go for it! after the first payment on a new one we all wish it was a demo, and the best part is the cost difference is a lot smaller. So the depreciation of the Jeep dose not hit you as hard later on! its a good move.

Thats the thing where to go get the thing? there are not many dealerships around.

Quote Originally Posted by Previously Disadvantaged View Post
    Can anyone recommend a particular dealership? I am in Jozi Bedford Gardens
    I am in PE and they have a Red Rubicon with 3000km's on for R319 000. They were also advertising a sale last week so it might be even less. Maritime Motors 0413992800
    Jacques Pienaar

Peugeot 5008 (Swambo's)
    Jurgens XT140

There is a Red Rock Pearl CRD with 4500km in KZN for R300 000
    http://preowned.jeep.co.za/cfm/searc...xRows=10&t=jee
    Jacques Pienaar

Peugeot 5008 (Swambo's)
    Jurgens XT140

I went on the site and filled out the form but I am also going to ring them tomorrow during office hours. 4500km is kind of low and I need a car now. Just sold the Isuzu 2day_ and sharing a vehicle with fiance until I get another vehicle.

Will let you know how it goes.

ONLY IN A JEEP!!! and we need more JK drivers on the forum oh and just remember you dont just buy a 4x4 its a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by jacquespienaar View Post
    There is a Red Rock Pearl CRD with 4500km in KZN for R300 000
    http://preowned.jeep.co.za/cfm/searc...xRows=10&t=jee
    The guy just called me this morning and said that this vehicle has been sold. It seems that the website is updated once a week and a lot can happen in 7days.

Quote Originally Posted by Previously Disadvantaged View Post
    The guy just called me this morning and said that this vehicle has been sold. It seems that the website is updated once a week and a lot can happen in 7days.
    Ill call a good mate of mine at jeep and see if knows of some thing for you!

Ok did the call and he has one for you. Not sure on the spics but i PM'd you his name and number. Hope its what you looking for.

Hi Gents

I just bought the 4 door diesel wrangler Auto... will post pics soon

Thanks for all the help and info

Previously Disadvantaged, I don't mean to steal your thread, but had a similar situation.
    It was a very tough choice between the 2door CRD or the Rubicon. I bought the Rubicon and hope to be the proud owner this coming week. It will be a big learning curve for me. I've been reading this forum for some time and eventually got the guts to make the big step.

Ps. Congratulations on your new CRD.

Wink

Congrats on your Rubicon!! The salesperson is convinced that its the best wrangler out there and wanted me to get one but its a little out of my league (price wise).

The CRD I got is a demo and it has 4,300km on the clock & was rather keenly priced. I am hoping to join one of the weekend trips here soon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast